Author Topic: Sohei Handbook  (Read 2107 times)

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • (un-) Amazingly Unproductive
    • View Profile
Re: Sohei Handbook
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 07:18:18 PM »
Tireless feat, yep the OA one, but the PGtF(?) implies some interesting alternative background stories.

Divine Mind 1 and pick Repose gets the 1 step reduction.
I thought it was Ki , then I thought it was a nature spirit, then I thought it was me ... might need more refluffing.

Horizon Walker 1 prc and pick Desert gets the 1 step reduction.
I went beyond the gates of the way, but I came back.

Body Awareness feat, could be thinking it's Ki until a WuJen sets him straight.
http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/feat/Body_Awareness

the Insomniac and Wakefulness feats , are sleep based nigh useless.

Karmic Healing feat, hey dip Ninja but it's a secret, typical plot line in silly 70s martial arts movies.
http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/feat/Karmic_Healing

Dracolexi prc 1 , but I don't think it's a viable combo considering the pre-reqs
http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/classes/prestige/general/dracolexi.shtml

Unseelie Fey / Seelie Court Fey template, if you're your own ally argument.
"When I think of you, I touch myself." (it's a charisma pop song thang) Maybe "spirits" = fey ?

Warrior Skald prc 2 , bard oriented , if you're your own ally argument.  They do have music "over" there.
http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/classes/prestige/realms/skald.shtml

Windsinger prc ecl 11 , bard but nope doesn't work with sohei.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:20:11 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
avatar#3 , gravitational lensing edition ... I'm way on the other side of the universe but look like pretty rings

Offline Skyrock

• [Good|Evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »
Divine Mind 1 w/ Repose mantle is very workable, as it is a Wis-based Psionic and another possible entry point into War Mind. (Slayer not so much as DM manifesting progression is so crappy.)
Psychic Warrior 2 with the Mantled Warrior ACF does it better, but gives one class level less wiggling room for other stuff.

Warrior Skald could be doable with the Apprentice (Entertainer) feat, and could have some cool flavour if you refluff it as Perform (Chanting).

Unseelie Fey should be mentioned under templates, but the ability scores don't rate it very high for a martial dumping Cha.

The other ones come with too many hoops and/or baggage to be practical. Ninja + Body Awareness suffers from the "no armor" clause, getting arcane spells and 2 feats for Body Awareness is expensive, Dracolexi is highly impractical to get in even with early entry cheese like Precocious Apprentice.

Some cool finds I have missed. Thanks man.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • (un-) Amazingly Unproductive
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 04:21:57 PM »
Alas the Repose part is in the Aura not the MGA, you have to take Divine Mind not the others. 
It is not clearly the case that you can't take the Extra Aura feat, on say Ardent if you already have DM 1, so you could get it that way.

PF + Dreamscarred make the War Mind stack with the PsyWar festing progression.  Reasonable house rule.
edit --- But would require a rather specific houserule.

Body Awareness ... yeah, mistake on my part, thinking Ascetic Knight working (Pal=Sohei,Monk=Ninja) was somehow official.  Clearly a homegame houserule I'd forgotten that detail about.  Rather reasonable but probably not useful.

... Thanks man.

My kitty avatar's Tail  begs to differ.

:D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:29:03 PM by awaken_D_M_golem »
avatar#3 , gravitational lensing edition ... I'm way on the other side of the universe but look like pretty rings

Offline Skyrock

• [Good|Evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 07:52:03 PM »
Added Unseelie Fey template and Divine Mind w/ Repose Mantle.

Upon closer inspection I have dropped Warrior Skald, as it takes one minute for the fatigue removal to kick in. Not really worth a feat for Apprentice and all those Perform ranks on a skill-starved class.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 12:26:19 AM »
Note that a Crusader can be any of the neutral+ alignments, just not true neutral.  The sample encounter Crusader given on page 14 of Tome of Battle specifically says the Crusader is Neutral Evil.  Thus, there is potential for a LN Sohei/Crusader.

Offline Skyrock

• [Good|Evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »
That's what I get for working from memory for minor bits without double-checking the books.

Crusader is fixed.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • Ask me
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »
thank you for the handbook.
http://crystalballsoft.com/cblite.html  The best dice roller on the planet, bar none. Read the FAQ to see why.

https://www.box.com/s/du6s5uysdwfony9dfd3p  The Official Complete Psionic Errata.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dbmkg8efcbn4eak/AABSjyTbZIEDdIWm0I_uVFkpa?dl=0 The Archive.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »
No mention of maho-tuskai/southern magician + rage mage to ignore frenzy and caster level limits? Shame. Southern Magician will also let you enter Geomancer for movement, pounce, and extra rage.
Sohei 10/Geomancer 8/Rage Mage 2

Offline Skyrock

• [Good|Evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 03:04:34 PM »
Availability of Maho-Tsukai relies heavily on the OA Taint setting rules being in use, which is a big assumption to make, especially as there are newer, incompatible 3.5 Taint rules in both UA and HoH. Although the chances are a good bit higher in games where Sohei are around, so I should mention it with the necessary caveats about availability.

Rage Mage has incompatible alignment restrictions for Sohei, so it is sadly out.

Geomancer could be worth mentioning as another lawful way to gain pounce, even if it is limited to the first round and even if the ability comes late. It is definitively less crappy then the Singh Rager, and I even mentioned that one as a possibility.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 03:24:24 PM »
Should add speedy races; ala Aquatic Elf, Darfellan, Jermalaine, Nezumi, Raptoran. Even in heavy armor they are still faster. Also with good speed and dexterity a ranged build and a side of snatch arrow could work.

Streetfighter ACF is good for chargers. Those Cityscape ACF were intended for multiple classes.

Iaijutsu Focus > Destructive Rage = Sunder Monkey

Offline Skyrock

• [Good|Evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 05:52:40 PM »
Streetfighter ACF applied on Sohei seems like a lot of a stretch, although the levels where DR is gained would match with the Barbarian.
Within the sensible level range up to Sohei 11 it is trading two marginally useful abilities (DR1 and 2) for two other marginally useful abilities (+1 crit range vs flat-footed and a single 90° turn on charges). Streetfighter has some neat charger stuff coming up on lvl13+, but I strongly doubt that it is worth to stick with such a crappy class as Sohei for so long.

Offline Skyrock

• [Good|Evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 07:16:20 PM »
Added TOC and the Geomancer PrC.

Now I will just need to write up some sample builds and look for some pretty topical pics before this is good to go.

Offline Skyrock

• [Good|Evil]
    • View Profile
(continued) Sohei Handbook
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2018, 08:11:12 PM »
Sample Builds

SRD + Oriental Adventures only

Clerical Sohei

Partial Gestalt Sohei

E6 Sohei

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2018, 11:19:24 PM »
There -might- be cases for a few elf races:

Snow Elf from Frostburn pg 34 gets +2 dex, -2 cha and is otherwise the same as regular PHB elves.

Wild Elf from Monster Manual page 104 gets +2 dex, -2 int with a favored class of sorcerer.

Painted Elf from Sandstorm pg 42 gets +2 dex, -2 int and favored class druid.

Mainly the Snow Elf if there's somehow a dex variant for the Sohei such as making use of Combat Reflexes.  Such a build is likely to go into Swordsage for the wis and dex synergies while not doing much with str.

See http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=1281.0 if you want to go through a basically exhaustive list of LA 0 races.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 11:22:25 PM by Jackinthegreen »