Author Topic: Fun Pathfinds  (Read 9972 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Pathfinds
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2019, 08:22:02 PM »
Craziest boon?
Andirifkhu
3 Killing Machine (Su): Once per day as a full-round action, you can transform yourself into a trap. The trap must have a CR equal to or less than your total Hit Dice (maximum CR 20), and the environment must be able to support your new form. When your trap form is triggered, or when a creature attempts to disable your trap form, you can instantaneously return to your normal form (appearing in the square or squares targeted by your trap form). This occurs after the trap has finished triggering and its effects are resolved (if appropriate), and it causes a surprise round in which only you and those who were aware of your true nature may act. This transformation otherwise lasts for 24 hours or until you dismiss it as a full-round action. This is a polymorph effect.
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2019, 09:57:23 PM »
If not for the 1 per day that would be tier 0 without question. Even with it, I think it's still tier 0. You can actually bypass expensive material components and true resurrection an entire village or acquire infinite anything with Wish traps.

That's  just from spell traps. You can do crazy things with traps that aren't spell traps. Use Lava Flood trap for some Dorf nonsense. I'm sure there's some way to abuse that the whole "room" floods with a Flooding Room trap (how do you make a very large "room"?). Bring down buildings with a Collapsing ____ trap?

I think the editors were busy with PF2 and whoever wrote this book knew it.

edit: Limited by your hit die? That's not actually as limiting a factor as one would expect. It's easily improved with Inspire Greatness.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:34:52 PM by Nanashi »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2019, 12:06:01 AM »
The earliest you can get it, is level 14.

Even then, as you mentioned, the craziness of what's available as a trap is endless.

Instant reset never miss proximity enclosed room of solid prismatic wall surrounded by an automatic field and dimensional anchor could get a tad nasty (CR ~18 as far as I can figure). No physical or magic escape, eventually you'll fail.

Do rituals count as spells for the purpose of traps?

Edit: yup

These spells are rare...

Dominate a spellcaster, force them to cast a ritual that is deadly when failed, like Fourth Apotheosis or Quartern Disjunction.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:23:40 AM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanashi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2019, 01:39:25 AM »
Wait, that's from Book of the Damned? I thought that was just more Concordance of Rivals. No idea how that managed to get through. Maybe since it's attached to a CE deity, one that requires you "torture a living creature that is smaller than your size category on a mechanical device that utilizes blades or spikes, or torture a bound creature of any size with a knife." no less, they felt there's no way a PC is getting it in a normal campaign (and neither published evil campaign for PF is that friendly to demon worshipers given both have you work for devils).

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2019, 03:38:50 AM »
Have a party member that's into BDSM, and torture them.
But, I agree, worshipping demon lords isn't very common in most games.

Book of the Damned has some of the best boons out there, you just have to make a deal w a friendly fiend.

Nocticula let's you suck-face-ubus energy drain people or backstab for d10s
Mesmara can make you a ghost or get a grand hex
Worm guy gets you worm that walks template
Zura gives you a hideable vampirism
Sifkesh gives makes you a dismembered angel w 15ft reach
Andirifkhu turns you into a sandbox trap
Jezelda gives you true lycanthropy
Kabriri turns you into a ghoul
Mazmezz turns you into a drider
Gargoyle guy gives you a death gaze

And those are just off the top of my head.

If you do the Sifkesh boon cheese, you can get a handful of various boons that jump your sneak attack up ~7d6, not to mention A stacking flat +2/die based on the weapon. Toss that on a rogue 20 for ~200 SA damage/attack (Nocticula gives d10 SA vs. allies, just use a great disguise)

Alternately, you could use Sifkesh tricks to get your Cha mod to AC ~3-4 times
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:46:47 AM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground