Author Topic: Shadow Run  (Read 696 times)

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
Shadow Run
« on: November 04, 2017, 09:52:19 PM »
I guess there are a half dozen versions out there, anyone have thoughts on the different editions?

The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Blue Rose

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Run
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 05:16:01 PM »
Not sure what you're asking.

5e is far and away the most coherent and playable, but it's still super heavy and has a lot of problems.

Matrix is better integrated into everyone else doing things.

Relatively easy to GM on the fly, as numbers tend to be from a relatively narrow range that's easier to improvise.

Chrome Flesh includes an augmentation called Liminal Body: Tank!, for which the exclamation point is part of the spelling, and that is awesome.

It's still MagicRun.  There's no reason not to be a mage, and this edition, it's not a downward spiral of, "How long before your mage hits magic zero from bad rolls permanently costing you magic rating?"

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 07:01:17 PM »
coherent is and playable is good...

i know very little about the systems they have tried over the years / content...

so, your input is just what i was asking about...

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Archon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 10:14:37 PM »
4e edition is also good - it has a bit higher power level (because skills scale to 6-8 rather than 12-13, which means you much more rarely encounter NPC's which outclass you without trying). It also has a lot more content, especially if you want to be a technomancer. (5e technomancers are kinda terrible, in many ways).

And to be completely honest, I'm going to dispute the "No reason not to be a mage". There is lots of cool stuff you can do with a big pile of cash as a starting character.

But I would definitely go with 4e or 5e. Both are good (and quite similar, I find). 5e is probably simpler, especially in character creation.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 03:17:37 PM »
Personally, never quite got used to change from tn system. Spending edge just doesn't recompense.

I agree on the overwhelmingness of magic in 5th. Also 4/5th are both much less racist/factionalist in tone of writing. Also neither of them fixed one of the big SR problems of consistent rulesets that allow for a faster speed of play.

But its still true that good GM is good game. The rules are just a toolset.

Offline Skyrock

• [Good|Evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 03:32:31 PM »
I have mostly played 3rd back in the 00s. It was a massive, massive mess, but gambling with the various die pools was fun, and magic was oozing with flavour, especially with the domain-based nature spirits and the "ACFs" introduced in Magic in the Shadows.

4th managed to suck out much of the wrinkles (especially in the more complicated sub-systems of vehicles and computers), but also most of the unique quirks that made Shadowrun fun and stand out. 5th edition SR just seems to be mostly a slight clean-up and streamlining of 4th, much as 3rd edition SR was to 2nd.

I also had some fun with CP2020 and Savage Worlds conversions.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 08:56:17 PM »
Excellent, thanks :D

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 02:53:48 PM »
For those who know the table vs the CRPG, what's the differences between them/what edition are they based on?

Offline Skyrock

• [Good|Evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »
Shadowrun (SNES): Very, very loosely based on SR1.
Shadowrun (Genesis): SR2, very close to the P&P both in rules and setting even if dumbed down. Most faithful adaption I have played so far.
Shadowrun (2007): FPS that has hardly anything to do with the P&P other than "there are guns AND magic!!!".

I've also grabbed the new Harebrained games on a Steam sale, but haven't given them a whirl yet.

Online Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 09:00:04 PM »
I'm not at all familiar with tabletop Shadowrun, but my understanding is that the Harebrained Schemes CRPGs have little to do with the tabletop rules. Mechanically, they play out more like X-Com games.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 08:21:22 AM »
I've played and enjoyed them which is why I was curious - and they are very turn based tactical combat, much like X-Com. Except easier.