Author Topic: Adapting Warlock to PF: What are the critical feats/PrCs/etc?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline RedWarlock

• Crimson-colored caster of calamity
    • View Profile
    • Red Blade Studios
Adapting Warlock to PF: What are the critical feats/PrCs/etc?
« on: September 15, 2018, 08:31:16 PM »
(Just posted this at GitP, but I wanted to get you guys' opinions too.)

My GM runs a fairly strict Paizo-only PF game, at least provisionally. (He apparently adds in 3rd party content as bonuses.) After a disappointing run with a Kineticist, he gave me the go ahead to run a Warlock from Complete Arcane.

I want to try to collect all the vital components from 3.5e, including prestige classes and relevant feats, and put it together into a single PF-style class. I want to do the common reinterpretation and add different pacts (like 4e/5e) as bloodline-style class features, and generally fold the various prestige class features that are common in 3.5 into selectable class features/invocations, like turn Hellfire Warlock into an essence, and Dragonfire Adept into either a dragon pact, or an archetype, or both (I’m thinking a ‘dragon pact’, as well as a more full-featured DFA archetype.) Likewise, fold Hexblade in as an archetype ala 4e.

And, yes, I know there've been a few other such attempts, but none of them really hit me as capturing what I enjoyed of the 3.5 warlock. I'm NOT adding daily spell slots, for one thing. I want to keep to the at-will invocations. Feel free to suggest good adaptations and their best parts, but I want to do this myself to hit the flavor I like.

So, mechanically, it would be 90% 3.5e Warlock/DFA, with little touches of 4e/5e, structured to fit into a PF game. What are the vital components there?
WarCraft post-d20: A new take on the World of WarCraft for tabletop. I need your eyes and comments!

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Adapting Warlock to PF: What are the critical feats/PrCs/etc?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:59:17 AM »
For a compilation of all relevant feats, invocations, PrCs and other assorted bits: The New Warlock Handbook [3.5]

Online Versatility_Nut

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Adapting Warlock to PF: What are the critical feats/PrCs/etc?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 09:02:01 PM »
Do remember that Pathfinder has archetypes, so you may want to turn some builds into those. For example, removing Eldritch Glaive and/or Eldritch Claw from base class access and converting them to exclusively a melee-focused archetype, while giving a similar treatment to Hellfire Warlock to keep the two separate so that you don't have the extreme unconditional at-will damage of stacking the two. It also preserves class levels from a PRC that does extremely little, and what it does do pales in comparison to the general value of Pathfinder PRCs.

By making Eldritch Glaive/Claw into an archetype, you can alter the mechanic pretty heavily, turning it into something similar to the Warpriest's weapon enhancement to get it more balanced on the baseline and make it so that you have less room for inflation.