Author Topic: Thought Magic [magic system, base classes, & feats]  (Read 2184 times)

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
Re: Thought Magic [magic system, base classes, & feats]
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2020, 07:10:18 PM »
Are people still reviewing this? Because from a balance perspective, I'm most concerned about the ideas, and nobody seems to have read that far yet

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2020, 08:47:00 PM »
You never responded and I forgot about it.   :lmao

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2020, 09:25:25 AM »
I just figured we were done with the Creative, so we were going to move onto the next thing

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2020, 07:24:43 PM »
I just figured we were done with the Creative, so we were going to move onto the next thing

I was done with the creative, you're right there.  However, I check all threads with new posts and forget about things I posted unless I am reminded that I wasn't done yet.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2020, 07:20:29 AM »
I check all threads with new posts and forget about things I posted unless I am reminded that I wasn't done yet.

Okay, well, don't reply to this until you have suggestions on the homebrew, then :p

...also, I hope I don't sound ungrateful. I really appreciate anyone willing to wade through all that text just to help me out. In case I haven't said it already, thanks so much!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2020, 10:42:21 AM »
No worries, everything is fine.

On to the Philosopher!

Well, the capstone ability ends up being unlimited WBL.  That could be an issue.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2020, 04:22:45 PM »
Well, the capstone ability ends up being unlimited WBL.  That could be an issue.

Fixed. Specified that you can't sell it. I guess you could rules-lawyer it and find other ways to make a profit from the stones, but honestly, if your DM is that willing to let your 20th-level character get away with stuff, you're gonna break the game anyway. It's only a matter of time.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2020, 07:45:45 PM »

Fixed. Specified that you can't sell it. I guess you could rules-lawyer it and find other ways to make a profit from the stones, but honestly, if your DM is that willing to let your 20th-level character get away with stuff, you're gonna break the game anyway. It's only a matter of time.

I wasn't even thinking about selling it.  I was thinking about how the basic features of the Philospher's Stone involve turning cheap metals into valuable ones.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2020, 05:13:39 AM »
I wasn't even thinking about selling it.  I was thinking about how the basic features of the Philospher's Stone involve turning cheap metals into valuable ones.

Oh yeah, duh, I forgot the whole point is the stone turns lead into gold. Uh, alright, I changed it so now only 1 stone can be created per month. 1000 lbs of gold is, what, 100,000 gp? Getting 20% of your WBL once per month doesn't seem super broken, I think.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2020, 01:19:09 PM »
Once a month works and is in line with a Pathfinder equivalent capstone (not that you care about balancing against pathfinder. :p).

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2020, 07:39:24 PM »
Groovy. On to the Strategist!

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2020, 10:16:23 PM »
Strategist!

Siege Engines.  Huh.

There's nothing wrong with the class, but it just feels meh to me.  I have no explanation off-hand.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 05:20:39 PM »
Siege Engines.  Huh.

There's nothing wrong with the class, but it just feels meh to me.  I have no explanation off-hand.

You know, I feel the same way. I think it's a holdover from when the Strategist ideas were way more powerful than the Creative and Philosopher. I guess I thought that the Strategist shouldn't get anything too powerful while its already so far ahead. But I've since nerfed a lot of the Strategist's main arsenal and given the other 2 classes plenty to work with, and besides, I agree. Why siege engines? It seems much more fitting for a more warfare-oriented prestige class than a base class, especially since literally none of the Strategist's ideas reference siege engines. Int to saves is boring filler, and of all the class features, only Tried and True had anything to do with idea magic at all. It was indeed all very meh. It was generic and forgettable.

So... (don't be mad)... I overhauled it. I can kick the habit I swear. I can stop overhauling any time I want!

But, uh, yeah, basically all the class features are different now. Mind taking another look?

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Today at 04:52:49 AM by TheGeometer »