Author Topic: [Min-Maxing] Race choice for pure Hexblade build  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Benny89

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
[Min-Maxing] Race choice for pure Hexblade build
« on: April 05, 2019, 04:38:53 PM »
Stat rolls 18, 14, 16, 8, 10, 12

Pure Hexblade build, no multiclass. We start at level 4, probably play to level 10 at most.

I have two choices:

One a classic Vuman with PAM, GWM + 18 CHA on level 4, attacking with advantage with +3 (+8 - 5 from GWM) with Pact Glaive +1. From level 5 I have 3 attacks with GWM and on level 8- +2 CHA for 20 CHA and I am done.

Other one is Half-Elf drow with GWM (and later Elven Accuracy) and 20 CHA on level 4, attacking with advantage with +4 (+9 - 5 from GWM). However to get Elven Accuracy I have to wait till level 8 so max I will attack till level 8 is 2 attacks with advantage. From level 8 I will have two attacks with super advantage but Vuman will have 3 attacks with 20 CHA on level 8.

Darkness on Half-Elf is nice but both will switch to using Shadow of Moil anyway.

Since game is till level 10, I think Vuman is better choice as he comes online faster and allows to have 3 attacks from level 4. Even if we see level 12- he would still come ahead as he could take Resilence (CON) and have concentration effects much longer vs half-elf who would pick PAM on level 12.

I like Half-Elf Elven Accuracy, however I think that PAM is just too good to skip on pure Hexblade.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: [Min-Maxing] Race choice for pure Hexblade build
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 09:43:34 PM »
Elven Accuracy has diminishing returns (the jump to best of 2 rolls is much more pronounced than from best of 2 to best of 3), only comes online in the end-game and is cancelled just by a single source of disadvantage, so I wouldn't obsess over it. It is more of a "Win harder" feat that makes you do even better in encounters where things are already going as you want them to, than something that helps you in a pitched battle that undermines your strengths. (And there are plenty of sources for melee disadvantage, from being prone to invisibility to various spells.)

I would rather pick the VHuman.