Class is incomplete, but still getting worked on.Bound Guardian"This is my home, and I shall keep it."
- Lariel the Silent, Elven Bound Guardian
TextMaking a Bound Guardian
Bound Guardian usually appear only amongst nature-aligned races.Alignment:
Bound Guardian are unaligned.Table 1: The Bound Guardian
Level BAB Ref Fort Will Abilities
1 +1 +2 +2 +2 Risen Land, Bound to the Land, Resilience(+1, +0)
2 +2 +3 +3 +3 Homeland Knowledge, Listen to the Beasts
3 +3 +3 +3 +3 Resilience(+1, +1), Say and Be Heard
4 +4 +4 +4 +4 Homeland Knowledge, Listen to the Plants
5 +5 +4 +4 +4 Resilience(+2, +1), Commune with March
6 +6 +5 +5 +5 Camouflage, Listen to the Earth
7 +7 +5 +5 +5 A Stronger Land, Resilience(+2, +2)
8 +8 +6 +6 +6 Protector, Travel the Earth
9 +9 +6 +6 +6 Resilience(+3, +2)
10 +10 +7 +7 +7
11 +11 +7 +7 +7 Resilience(+3, +3)
12 +12 +8 +8 +8 Unified Land
13 +13 +8 +8 +8 Resilience(+4, +3)
14 +14 +9 +9 +9 Land in Bloom
15 +15 +9 +9 +9 Resilience(+4, +4)
16 +16 +10 +10 +10
17 +17 +10 +10 +10 Resilience(+5, +4)
18 +18 +11 +11 +11
19 +19 +11 +11 +11 Resilience(+5, +5)
20 +20 +12 +12 +12 Land AwakenedGame Rule Information
Bound Guardian have the following game statistics.Alignment
: AnyHit Die
: 5d4 x 10 (125 gp)Starting Age
: Complex (as Paladin)Class skills (4 + Int modifier):
Climb, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Architecture and engineering, History, Geography), Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Spot, Survival, Swim, Warcraft (if available)Class Features
All the following are class features of the Bound Guardian class.
- Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Bound Guardian are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and light, medium and heavy armour, as well as shields.
- Bound to the Land (Ex): A Bound Guardian establishes a territory, called a march, which is his to defend against all threats. This march is an area 5 miles per guardian level in a radius from a central point — usually the center of a village or town, but sometimes an unusual place, such as a sacred grove or a waterfall. To consider a location for his march, a guardian must know the terrain exceptionally well. While a guardian is within his march, he gains all the additional abilities and bonuses of the class as specified below. If a Bound Guardian chooses to establish a new march, he must first create familiarity with the location by living there for a month. Once he has become accustomed to the area, the guardian can designate the locale as his march, but the benefits of the march are not fully vested immediately. The first week a Bound Guardian occupies his new march, he has only the benefits of a 1st-level guardian. During the second week, the benefits due a 2nd-level guardian activate, and so on each week, until the maximum benefits of the guardian's own level function. The moment a guardian establishes a new march, he loses all benefits in the old one.
A Bound Guardian is tied to the land that he protects, and does not leave it willingly, although he recognizes that at times he must. At 1st level, he can leave his bound region for one week without losing any benefits of the class. At 5th level, this increases to two weeks. 10th, three weeks. 15th, four weeks. If he does not return within that time, he loses all benefits of this class until he re-establishes a march.
- Risen Land (Ex): While within the boundaries of his march, a Bound Guardian has permanent access to a number of followers and animals who assist him in defending the march. This is represented by the Bound Guardian permanently controlling a total number of hit dice of animals, magical beasts, plants, and humanoids, all of whom must be native to his march, equal to his class level times two. No creature controlled through this ability can have a CR more than 1/3rd the class level of the Bound Guardian. Thus at 1st level, the Bound Guardian could have two 1/3rd CR animals as his risen land. It is sometimes necessary to advance the risen land creatures as the Bound Guardian gains levels (a Bound Guardian can choose to have a large number of much lower CR creatures, if desired). Humanoids advance by using the NPC classes, while animals, magical beasts, and plants gain hit dice. Humanoids come equipped with gear appropriate to an NPC of their level and class, and use the normal array. Any creatures lost from this total are replenished one week later. Risen land members act on the Bound Guardian's initiative. No more than one in five creatures can be a spellcaster (minimum one). If the guardian leaves his march, only half of his risen land follows him, the other half remaining behind to defend the march.
- Resilience (Ex): For a bound guardian, his first duty is always to his march, and to those who reside within it. Even if they fight by his side. As such, he teaches them a form of combat that is defensive in nature. The bound guardian gains these benefits after the first time he has been wounded in combat, or affected by a harmful spell or ability. At 1st level, he gains a +1 bonus to armor and damage reduction 1/-. At 3rd level he gains a +1 bonus on all saves. For every four levels after 1st this ability grants a further +1 bonus to his armor and increases the damage reduction by 1, to a maximum of +5 armor and 5/- damage reduction at 17th level. For every four levels after 3rd this ability an additional +1 bonus to the guardian's saves, to a maximum of +5 at 19th level. Members of his risen land also get Resilience, using their hit dice in place of the guardian's class level.
- Homeland Knowledge (Ex): Things within the bounds of his territory rarely pass outside the knowledge of a bound guardian. He gains a bonus on Hide, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Survival checks while within his march. This bonus is equal to his class level. He also does not suffer any movement speed penalty for traveling through natural difficult terrain or other natural obstacles that would slow his speed inside of his march. At 4th level, members of the guardian's risen land gain these benefits as well, at the same bonus as the bound guardian.
- The Land Speaks: There is nothing that happens in nature without the guardian learning about it.
- Listen to the Beasts (Sp): Even the smallest squirrel has information about the health of the land. The guardian may cast speak with animals at will.
- Say and Be Heard (Sp): Sometimes it is the guardian that must speak, and the land that must listen. He may use the message spell at will to send a message to all members of his risen land, or to one other resident of his march.
- Listen to the Plants (Sp): Sometimes it is the mighty trees that see the most. The guardian may cast speak with plants at will.
- Commune with March (Sp): The land will speak to the bound guardian whenever he asks. A guardian can gather information about his entire march once per day as if he had cast the commune with nature spell.
- Listen to the Earth (Sp): The land itself may speak, when it is asked in the right way. The guardian may cast stone tell at will.
- Travel the Earth (Sp): All of nature is a passageway, if you know where to look. The guardian may cast tree stride or swamp stride at will.
- Camouflage (Ex): At 6th level, a guardian can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even while being observed.
- A Stronger Land (Ex): The risen land now has a total number of hit dice of equal to his class level times three, and the maximum CR is 1/2 the class level of the Bound Guardian.
- Protector (Su): A guardian must at all times know the location of his flock. His senses are honed so finely that he is aware of the location and status (as with the status spell) of all members of his risen land, regardless of the range, even if they are not within sight.
- Unified Land (Ex): All members of an Bound Guardian's risen land now pool their hitpoints into a single great mass. None of them die until the pool is emptied, at which point they all die.
- Land in Bloom (Ex): The risen land now has a total number of hit dice equal to his class level times four, and the maximum CR is 1/2 the class level of the Bound Guardian.
- Land Awakened (Ex): The risen land now has a total number of hit dice equal to his class level times five, and the maximum CR is 1/2 the class level of the Bound Guardian.