Simic Grafter"When the Simic say to take command of your life, we don't mean just your career."
- Vorel of the Hull Clade, Simic Grafter
TextMaking a Simic Grafter
Intelligence is the ability that the Simic Grafter uses for his abilities.Races:
As Wizard.Starting Age:
As Wizard.Table 1: The Simic Grafter
Hit Die: d6
Level BAB Ref Fort Will Abilities Mutants Powers Known Power Points Maximum Power Level
1 +0 +0 +2 +2 Graft Flesh, Graft 1 2 0 1
2 +1 +0 +3 +3 Evolve, Experimental Observation 1 4 1 1
3 +1 +1 +3 +3 Graft, Adapt 1 5 3 1
4 +2 +1 +4 +4 Evolve 1 6 5 2
5 +2 +1 +4 +4 Graft 1 8 7 2
6 +3 +2 +5 +5 Evolve, Adapt 2 9 11 2
7 +3 +2 +5 +5 Graft 2 10 15 3
8 +4 +2 +6 +6 Evolve 2 12 19 3
9 +4 +3 +6 +6 Graft, Adapt 2 13 23 3
10 +5 +3 +7 +7 Evolve 2 14 27 4
11 +5 +3 +7 +7 Graft 3 15 35 4
12 +6 +4 +8 +8 Evolve, Adapt 3 16 43 4
13 +6 +4 +8 +8 Graft 3 17 51 5
14 +7 +4 +9 +9 Evolve 3 18 59 5
15 +7 +5 +9 +9 Graft, Adapt 3 19 67 5
16 +8 +5 +10 +10 Evolve 4 20 79 6
17 +8 +5 +10 +10 Graft 4 21 91 6
18 +9 +6 +11 +11 Evolve, Adapt 4 22 103 6
19 +9 +6 +11 +11 Graft 4 23 115 6
20 +10 +6 +12 +12 Evolve 4 24 127 6Class skills (2 + Int modifier per level, x4 at first level):
Autohypnosis, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (all), Psicraft, Ride, Use Psionic Device, Use Rope Class Features
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Simic Grafters are proficient with all simple weapons and light armor. Simic Grafters suffer spell failure in armour above light.
- Psionics: Power list given below, everything else as per Psychic Warrior.
- Mutants: The Simic Grafter always has a few different lab experiments underway, most often in the form of creatures that he is expressing his talents upon. The most important of these are those whom he designs to fight on his behalf, preferring to stay above the dirty fray of combat personally. At 1st level, the Simic Grafter gains a single cohort. Treat any cohort (before other abilities have been applied to it), as a Medium animal with hit dice equal to the Simic Grafter’s class level -2 (minimum of 1 hit dice) and the elite array, moving at 30 ft. per round, and with the low-light vision special quality. The cohort advances every time the Simic Grafter gains a class level. The animal has a single primary natural bite attack dealing 1d6 damage as a Medium creature. The Simic Grafter gains another cohort at 6th, 11th, and 16th levels. He cannot gain cohorts via other means, nor can his cohorts have cohorts. If he loses a cohort, the Simic Grafter may replace it by taking a week to intensively enhance a new one (taking no other actions during that time).
- Graft Flesh (Ex): The Simic Grafter gets the Graft Flesh feat at 1st level. It takes him one hour per 1,000 gold to create a graft, and the total cost is reduced by one half. He may create aboleth, illithid, silthilar, beholder, and yuan-ti grafts.
- Graft (Ex): Nature may have sculpted the initial form, but there is so much more that can be done. At every odd level, choose one feature from the list below and apply it to a cohort. If the Simic Grafter has more than one cohort, he makes a separate choice for each one (So at 7th level, he would apply two choices, one to each cohort, and they do not need to be the same). Cohorts gained at later levels retroactively choose options they could have gained (So the cohort gained at 16th level chooses options for 1st through 15th level).
- Claws: The cohort gains 2 Claws dealing 1d4 damage as a medium creature. This is a secondary nature attack.
- Claws: The cohort gains 2 Claws dealing 1d6 damage as a medium creature. This is a primary natural attack, and the cohort loses its bite attack.
- Rage: A cohort that takes damage in combat flies into a berserk rage on its next turn, clawing and biting madly until either it or its opponents are dead. It gains +4 to Strength, +4 to Constitution, and -2 to Armor Class. The cohort cannot end this rage voluntarily.
- Blindsense: The cohort gains blindsense out to 60 feet.
- Improved Grab: The cohort must hit with a natural attack. If it does, it can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it has both this and Trip, the cohort must choose which to use. It cannot use both.
- Size Increase: The cohort increases in size. See Mutable Nature seed.
- Climb Speed: The cohort gains a climb speed equal to its land speed.
- Swim Speed: The cohort gains a swim speed equal to its land speed.
- Scent: The cohort gains the scent special quality.
- Ferocity: The cohort continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.
- Bonus Feat: the cohort gains one feat for which it meets the requirements. This option can be chosen multiple times.
- Graft: The cohort gains a single graft for which it meets the requirements, chosen from the list available to the Simic Grafter. This does not cost any gold or XP. This option can be chosen multiple times.
- Trip: The cohort must hit with a natural attack. If it does, it can then attempt to trip the opponent as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity or making a touch attack. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the cohort. If it has both this and Improved Grab, the cohort must choose which to use. It cannot use both.
- Sprint: Once per hour, the cohort can move ten times its normal speed when it makes a charge.
- Tail: The cohort gains a tail attack dealing 1d6 damage as a medium creature. This is a secondary nature attack.
- Trample: The cohort gains the Trample special attack.
- Rake: The cohort gains 2 rake attacks dealing 1d4 damage as a medium creature.
- Natural Pounce: If the cohort charges a foe, it can make a full attack with all of its natural weapons, including any rake attack it possesses.
- Ink Cloud: The cohort can emit a cloud of jet-black ink 10 feet high by 10 feet wide by 10 feet long once per minute as a move action. The cloud provides total concealment to everything in it.
- Poison: The bite attack of the cohort delivers a poison dealing 1d6 initial and secondary Constitution damage. The Fortitude save DC is 10 + ½ hit dice + Constitution modifier of the cohort.
- Tentacles: The cohort gains 2 tentacles dealing 1d3 damage as a medium creature. This is a secondary nature attack. They also receive a +4 bonus on attempts to trip or grapple an enemy.
- Paralysis: The natural attack of the cohort possesses a liquid paralytic. The Fortitude save DC is 10 + ½ hit dice + Constitution modifier of the cohort or be paralyzed for one round.
- Spit Acid: 30 ft. line, once per hour, 1d4 acid per hit dice of the cohort, Reflex save DC is 10 + ½ hit dice + Constitution modifier of the cohort for half.
- Web: Once per hour, the cohort can throw a web attack. This has a maximum range of 50 ft, a range increment of 10 ft, and is effective against creatures up to one size larger than the cohort’s size. The web anchors the creature in place, allowing no movement. An entangled creature can escape with an Escape Artist or Strength check against 10 + ½ hit dice + Constitution modifier. The web has 1 hit point per cohort hit dice, hardness 0, and takes double damage from fire.
- Swallow Whole: The cohort gains the swallow whole special attack.
- Blink: The cohort can use blink (as the spell, caster level 8th), and begin or end the effect as a free action.
- Moan: The cohort can emit a dangerous subsonic moan as a standard action. By changing the frequency, the cohort can cause one of four effects. Cohorts are immune to these sonic, mind-affecting attacks. Unless otherwise specified, a creature that successfully saves against one of these effects cannot be affected by the same moan effect from the same cohort for 24 hours. The save DC is 10 + ½ hit dice + Charisma modifier.
- Unnerve: Anyone within a 60-foot spread automatically takes a -2 penalty on attack and damage rolls. Those forced to hear the moan for more than 6 consecutive rounds must succeed on a Will save or enter a trance, unable to attack or defend themselves until the moaning stops.
- Fear: Anyone within a 30-foot spread must succeed on a Will save or become panicked for 2 rounds.
- Nausea: Anyone in a 30-foot cone must succeed on a Fortitude save or fall prone and become nauseated for 1d4+1 rounds.
- Stupor: A single creature within 30 feet of the cohort must succeed on a Fortitude save or be affected as though by a hold monster spell for 5 rounds. Even after a successful save, the creature must repeat the save if the cohort uses this effect again.
- Corrosive Slime: The cohort produces a mucuslike slime that contains a highly corrosive substance. A creature attacking a cohort with natural weapons takes 1d4 acid damage from the slime each time an attack hits unless the creature succeeds on a Reflex save. The save DC is 10 + ½ hit dice + Constitution modifier.
- Rend: A cohort that hits with both claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals damage equal twice a single claw attack, plus 1.5 Strength. The cohort must have 2 claw attacks to select this option.
- Roar: The cohort can loose a devastating roar every 1d4 rounds. All creatures except the Simic Grafter and his cohorts within 120 feet must succeed on a DC 10 + ½ hit dice + Charisma modifier Will save or become fatigued. Those within 30 feet who fail their saves become exhausted.
- Resilient: The cohort gains damage reduction 5/- and light fortification.
- Fast Healing: The cohort gains fast healing 1, and can heal a maximum number of hit points per day equal to one half its total.
- Armor: The cohort gains +3 natural armor. This option can be taken multiple times.
- Gibbering: The cohort grows a number of mouths that constantly cackle, moan, and gibber. All enemy creatures within a 60-foot spread must succeed on a DC 10 + ½ hit dice + Charisma modifier Will save or be affected as though by a confusion spell for 1d2 rounds. This is a sonic mind-affecting compulsion effect. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected for 24 hours.
- Quills: The cohort’s neck bristles with long quills. While biting, the creature thrashes about, striking with 1d4 of them. An opponent hit by a quill must succeed on a DC 10 + ½ hit dice + Dexterity modifier Reflex save or have the quill break off in his or her flesh. Lodged quills impose a -1 penalty on attacks, saves, and checks per quill. A quill can be removed safely with a DC 20 Heal check; otherwise, removing a quill deals an extra 1d6 points of damage.
- Resistance: The cohort gains resistance 10 to a single type of elemental damage. This can be chosen multiple times. Each time it applies to a different elemental damage.
- Engulf: The cohort can simply mow down creatures its size or smaller as a standard action. It cannot make any natural attacks during a round in which it engulfs. The cohort merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make opportunity attacks against the cohort, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 10 + ½ hit dice + Strength modifier Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the cohort moves forward. Engulfed creatures are considered to be grappled and trapped within its body, and can escape by escaping the grapple. The cohort does not need to spend an action on the grapple, and cannot use natural attacks such as rake during the grapple. Each round that a creature is engulfed, it takes 1d6 acid damage.
- Adhesive: The cohort exudes a thick slime that acts as a powerful adhesive, holding fast any items that touch it. A weapon that strikes an adhesive-coated cohort is stuck fast unless the wielder succeeds on a DC 10 + ½ hit dice + Constitution modifier Reflex save. A successful DC 10 + ½ hit dice + Constitution modifier Strength check is needed to pry it off. Strong alcohol will dissolve the adhesive.
- Spikes: With a snap of its tail, a cohort can loose a volley of 1 spike per four hit dice as a standard action (make an attack roll for each spike). This attack has a range of 180 feet with no range increment. All targets must be within 30 feet of each other. The spikes deal 1d6 + ½ Strength modifier damage.
- Stench: When the cohort is angry or frightened, it secretes an oily, musk-like chemical that nearly every form of animal life finds offensive. All living creatures (except the Simic Grafter and his cohorts) within 30 feet of the cohort must succeed on a DC 10 + ½ hit dice + Constitution modifier Fortitude save or be sickened for 10 rounds. Creatures that successfully save cannot be affected by the same cohort’s stench for 24 hours. A delay poison or neutralize poison spell removes the effect from the sickened creature. Creatures with immunity to poison are unaffected, and creatures resistant to poison receive their normal bonus on their saving throws.
- Dissolving Strikes: All natural attacks of the cohort deal 1d4 acid damage.
- Evolve (Ex): While the Simic Grafter may spend time experimenting on others, it is his own form that is his primary test tube. As such, at every even level, he gains one of the evolutions listed below.
- Graft: The Simic Grafter gains a single graft for which it meets the requirements, chosen from the list available to the Simic Grafter. This does not cost any gold or XP. This option can be chosen multiple times.
- Hit Dice Increase: The hit dice of the Simic Grafter increases by one step. Recalculate all existing hit dice. A d4 becomes a d6, a d6 becomes a d8, and so on. This option can be chosen multiple times.
- Extra Knowledge: Add to your powers known one additional power of any level up to one level lower than the highest-level power you can manifest. You can choose any power, including powers from another discipline’s list or even from another class’s list. You may choose this option multiple times.
- Mind over Matter: You can recover 6 power points by taking 1 point of ability burn damage to each of your three ability scores: Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution. You can recover additional power points for a proportional cost to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution. These recovered points are added to your power point reserve as if you had gained them by resting overnight.
- Rapid Recovery: Why should a Simic Grafter ever be frail? You heal ability damage and ability burn damage far more quickly than normal. You heal a number of ability points per day equal to 1 + your Constitution bonus.
- Flexibility: Sometimes, long arms help. Other times, long legs. The Simic Grafter’s reach increases by 5 feet. In addition, he gains a +4 bonus on Swim, Jump, Climb, and Escape Artist checks.
- Amorphous Form: The Simic Grafter gains medium fortification.
- Poisonous Blood: Any creature that strikes the Simic Grafter with a non-reach weapon or a natural attack becomes poisoned. The creature must make a successful Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ class level + Con modifier) or take 1d4 points of Dexterity damage. One minute later, the creature must save again against the same DC or take another 1d4 points of Dexterity damage. Creatures that strike the Simic Grafter multiple times must save each time they strike.
- Unknowable Mind: The Simic Grafter has gone well beyond what a normal mortal would dare, and few can comprehend his thoughts. He gains a bonus on Mind-Affecting saves equal to ½ his class level.
- Experimental Observation (Ex): At 2nd level, the Simic Grafter gains uncanny knowledge about all types of living monsters, including their habitats, behavior, abilities, and weaknesses. He can make a special check to identify monsters or their special abilities or vulnerabilities. The check functions as a Knowledge check (PH 78), except the check can identify any living creature. He gains a bonus on this check equal to his class level + his Int modifier. He can attempt this check in addition to making the relevant Knowledge check to learn about a creature.
- Adapt (Ex): At 3rd level, once per day, the Simic Grafter gains the ability to mimic a certain class feature possessed by other characters. At the start of each day, he chooses a number of supernatural or extraordinary class abilities equal to the number of uses of this ability he possesses. Each ability must be available to a standard (base) character class at 3rd level or lower, and must appear on the advancement table or in the text description for that class. This excludes any ability that grants a companion (Animal Companion, Familiars, etc.), spellcasting or similar abilities (Binding, Incarnum, Manoeuvres, Truenaming, Shadowcasting, Psionics, etc.), and any ability granted this class. Every 3 levels after that (6, 9, 12, 15, 18) he gains one additional use (either to adapt the same class feature, or a different class feature at a separate time). Each time he uses a chosen class ability, he gains the benefit of that ability for one round. If the chosen ability has a stated duration (such as Rage), he gains the benefit for that duration. This cannot exceed one minute. If the benefits of the ability increase with class level, treat your Simic Grafter level as your level in the appropriate class. Activating Adapt is an immediate action.
1st: Biofeedback, Bite of the Wolf, Burst, Call to Mind, Chameleon, Claws of the Beast, Compression, Daze, Deceleration, Déjà vu, Demoralize, Disable, Dissipating Touch, Distract, Elfsight, Entangling Ectoplasm, Expansion, Float, Grease, Grip of Iron, Matter Agitation, Metaphysical Claw, My Light, Prevenom, Sense Link, Skate, Synesthete, Telempathic Projection, Thicken Skin, Vigor
2nd: Animal Affinity, Body Adjustment, Body Equilibrium, Body Purification, Brain Lock, Dissolving Touch, Energy Adaptation Specified, Feat Leech, Hustle, Inflict Pain, Levitate, Mental Disruption, Painful Strike, Psionic Lion’s Charge, Psionic Scent, Recall Agony, Strength of My Enemy, Sustenance, Wall Walker
3rd: Claws of the Vampire, Danger Sense, Dismiss Ectoplasm, Duodimensional Claw, Ectoplasmic Form, Empathic Feedback, Evade Burst, Exhalation of the Black Dragon, Graft Weapon, Mind Trap, Psionic Blast, Touchsight, Ubiquitous Vision
4th: Death Urge, Energy Adaptation, Freedom of Movement, Immovability, Inertial Barrier, Personality Parasite, Psychic Reformation, Steadfast Perception, Truevenom, Wall of Ectoplasm
5th: Adapt Body, Breath of the Black Dragon, Ectoplasmic Shambler, Fuse Flesh, Oak Body, Overland Flight, Psychofeedback
6th: Assimilate, Form of Doom, Iron Body, Suspend Life, Temporal Acceleration, True Metabolism