Author Topic: Longbow Human Dragonblood BattleMasterMind Build recommendations  (Read 1790 times)

Offline ploko

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Hey all, I went in with a pretty clear goal: infiltrator deceptor style longbow archer. went a little nuts with it. right now pretty underpowered, build is fun though. Would be happy to get back on the best DPR i can do though. Current level 6, not sure how to level up next

Starting stats (all dem lucky rolls):
11 17 13 14 13 16.  > human +1
12 18 14 15 14 17

setup so far:
1-3: Rogue Mastermind (3)
4: Sorcerer (1) - Draconic Bloodline for that Dex AC, storyconnection, Shield & Catapult
5-6: Fighter +2 Archery (going BattleMaster)

Why its so fun: Thieves Tools, Poisoners Kit, Disguise Kit, Dice & Flute; All the DEX proficiencies. With BattleMaster comes Alchemists Kit
On top of that i got Slippers of SpiderClimb. So my style-goal is reached all the way.

But: as said, next to the Barbarian dishing out massive damage, I get one shot 1d8 + 2d6 sneak and sometime no sneak or complete miss is not super cool.

Best option to follow through with fighter or what would you recommend?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
Re: Longbow Human Dragonblood BattleMasterMind Build recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 05:14:13 PM »

... nuts ... fun ... fun ... style ...

... 'til the Barbarian takes the DPR away?

You've got armor overlap on Rogue  1 + Sorc 1 + Fighter 1.
Do you want to go TWF for melee or just not enter melee?
Would you (and/or the DM) be willing to rebuild to any of Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight or Magical Training?
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline ploko

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 05:21:28 AM »
Hey! Thanks for your reply!!

Haha. Well.. I have a great DM who isn't too fixated on me needing to minmax and whats done is done.

I also have no (naive) intensions on surpassing the Barbarian in DPS - the MasterMind (next to sneakiness & proficiencies) was especially for that: bring the party in a better position pre & in-fight. Part of that is give the barbarian advantage (every turn.. that's pretty insane). High AC helps because i have to be within 30 feet. Rogue helps with getting back out again. It's not optimal but it strangely works well. All it lacks is attacking/ damaging.

Question rephrased: if there are better options for damage-focus than going BattleMaster from now on I'm very open for suggestions.

TWF could be interesting, but Archery is set as the Fighting style, if you mean this. Do you mean Dual wielder feat? Can't hurt having melee options, at the moment I'm carrying just a rapier for when something gets too close. For feats I will prefer Sharpshooter first.

Can you explain why you point out the armor overlap? I don't use the proficiencies from Rogue and Fighter but that weren't the choices for these classes.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »
2 chances to land Sneak is better than 1 chance.

Booming Blade cantrip can tide you over, until you reach Fighter 5.
+2 Dex before F 5 , the -5/+10 feat after F 5.
Fighter 6 + Rogue 4 are next ... probably go Sorc +X from there.
Fighter 11 Rogue 9 is a bog standard dpr build, but you won't quite get there, which changes the overall direction.
Your codpiece is a mimic.