Author Topic: min-maxing your party's meta-awareness?  (Read 124 times)

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • Ask me
min-maxing your party's meta-awareness?
« on: May 19, 2020, 04:39:22 PM »
I'm looking for resources/lists/handbooks/etc of must have's or ideal-to-have effects which will increase a given party's awareness of and information about the environment and circumstances around them. Failing pre-existing resources, please suggest some!

So this is more focused on in-game awareness in general, and not focused on teaching characters game meta-concepts such as HP or points of damage.

In other words, think more of what would a savvy and cutting edge fantasy Navy Seals, Army Rangers, or Super Agents have to have on tap in order to be the best.

Some things that come to mind off the top of my head (and which will serve as examples to clarify what I am meaning:
  • Touchsight - for perfect 360° sensory, extendable past 60', ignores darkness and invisibility, and works underwater too!
  • Prying Eyes & greater version - for superior scouting
  • Mindlink - for perfect silent communication in real time, without word limits
  • Fantastic Machine & greater version - for instant gadgets do to anything that can be described in 25 words or less... door crasher? check! quickie mech suit? check! need a tunnel? check! impromptu interrogation device? double check!!
  • Bottle of Air - breath anywhere
  • Status effect - track the status of all the party members
  • Zone of Alertness - share awareness of danger, prevent flat-footedness, and gain bonus to sensory checks
  • Predict Weather - good for preparation and spotting anyone who is messing with the weather
  • Know Direction and Location - good for generally landing on target and pseudo internal compass
  • Find the Path spell - for finding the way to what you are looking for
  • Lay of the Land spell - for knowing the surroundings exactly
  • Locate Object - for finding what you are looking for
  • Destiny's Trail - for seeing what happened at a certain time and location
  • ...etc.?

Offline Skyrock

• View Profile
Re: min-maxing your party's meta-awareness?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 04:48:38 PM »
Path of the Exalted - This exalted spell doesn't do much and is somewhat DM dependent, but it practically falls into your lap if you are a good-aligned prepared spellcaster. No reason not to use and lose it during downtime when you need to re-find the plot rails.

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 12:45:23 AM »
Hindsight and foresight spells.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • Ask me
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 07:06:58 PM »
what about go-to attack and defense stuff?