Author Topic: 1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime  (Read 308720 times)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: 1001 Homebrew Ideas to Flesh Out Sometime
« Reply #300 on: December 16, 2012, 11:23:09 PM »
Seems to me it'd be better named Immortal personally.

Yeah, the name is a bit wonky, but I did it that waysince necro is the Greek prefix for death while bio is the Greek prefix for life.

Totally unrelated to that: Allow a throwing weapon enchanted with Returning to be able to do iterative attacks dammit!  Or at least have a synergy to do so.  Also, make shuriken able to be used in melee just like it's possible to do in real life.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:44:10 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 17, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »
You can use practically anything in melee though.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 17, 2012, 02:32:38 PM »
Shuriken are specifically disallowed from being used as melee weapons, unfortunately.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 20, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »
Suggestion to make things more interesting for Power Attack users:

Addition: If a creature can add 1 1/2x its Strength modifier (or more) to its damage with a weapon, that weapon is treated as a 2-handed weapon for the purposes of all feats and abilities.  For example, a dragon could treat its Tail Slap as a 2-handed weapon for the purposes of Power Attack because it adds 1½ times its Strength bonus to damage with that attack.

And an update to certain Dragon 304 feats:

Windup was updated to Power Throw (Windup doesn't have prereqs besides Str 13+, but PT has Brutal Throw and PA)
Anything requiring Windup as a prereq now requires Power Throw instead, such feats being Bowl Over, Heft, and Route.  Heft was the one that gave me the idea, though since the Power Throw feat doesn't allow for the 2-handed version of PA it needs some reworking.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:39:01 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline 8wGremlin

• Been around for a long while
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 24, 2012, 09:49:22 PM »
ACF cleric 1st level - Heretic: you believe your religion is wrong and that your deity has given you the right to lead the religion in a new direction
replace one granted domain that you have, for any other domain not of your gods normal selection
you also get a -6 Cha penalty to NPC reactions with worshippers of your religion, unless they to are heretic priests with the same domains as you
for instance, a Heretic Cleric of Pelor gives up 'Strength' for the domain 'Summer'

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 25, 2012, 12:09:37 AM »
Just give them Heretic of the Faith as a bonus feat at first level; as a bonus, it lets you be up to 2 alignment steps away from your god!

("Praise the Burning Hate!" Thus spake my LE Cleric of Pelor.)

Anyway, this is just a stub of an idea:

Making a magic sword no longer gives it a +X to hit or damage. It's either magic or its not. Same goes for shields and armor (I mean, DR was simplified, so why not?)

There is now a progression:

Normal -> Masterwork -> Magic -> Epic

If you have Weapon Specialization, it moves whatever weapon of that type that you wield up a step, up to Epic (so if you have Weapon Specialization (Dagger), and you're wielding a Masterwork Dagger, you treat it as a Magic Dagger.)

If a weapon is Epic, you may reroll an attack roll with it once per round, and attacks do not autofail on a 1. This is in addition to piercing DR/Epic.

If you have Weapon Focus, you get a benefit based off the type of weapon. For example, Weapon Focus in Daggers might increase the range increment for all Throwing Weapons.

This could, of course, benefit the most from that classic houserule that the Weapon Focus line affects an entire Proficiency Group (so you could grab Weapon Focus (Axe), because that's just cool.)
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline 8wGremlin

• Been around for a long while
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 25, 2012, 12:40:24 AM »
Just give them Heretic of the Faith as a bonus feat at first level; as a bonus, it lets you be up to 2 alignment steps away from your god!

("Praise the Burning Hate!" Thus spake my LE Cleric of Pelor.)

Ooh thanks I didn't know that feat existed! Awesome!

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 29, 2013, 12:15:59 AM »
We're back! Yay! And I've officially backed up my stuff to my computer. The rest of you are on your own.

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 29, 2013, 01:21:23 AM »
I'm reminding you to rework crafting.

(click to show/hide)

I definitely am not trying to distract you from a positive energy spellshaping circle.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 31, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »
While mentioning in High Arcana, I figure it bears mentioning here too.

Add Scare to the Hexblade spells, because it's just plain weird that they get Cause Fear and Fear but not Scare.  While we're at it, they need new names!  Scare, then Fear, then Terrify.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 02, 2013, 02:17:28 AM »
Kinda bored, so I thought of this:

Unorthodox Arrows Technique
OK, so you kinda are not using arrows with your bow; that's just fine...
Prerequisites: ???
Benefits: You may use any improvised weapon that you would be able to use as a Light weapon as if it were ammunition for any ranged weapon of your choice. This is regardless of the actual shape of the improvised weapon; it is entirely possible to fire a length of rope or a single coin out of a bow (just don't ask how...)

This "arrow" deals normal damage for ammunition of its size, and has the added benefit of allowing you to apply any feat or effect that applies to improvised weaponry to your ammunition.
Normal: You can't fire fish out of your bow.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 02, 2013, 06:58:52 AM »
Kinda bored, so I thought of this:

Unorthodox Arrows Technique
OK, so you kinda are not using arrows with your bow; that's just fine...
Prerequisites: ???
Benefits: You may use any improvised weapon that you would be able to use as a Light weapon as if it were ammunition for any ranged weapon of your choice. This is regardless of the actual shape of the improvised weapon; it is entirely possible to fire a length of rope or a single coin out of a bow (just don't ask how...)

This "arrow" deals normal damage for ammunition of its size, and has the added benefit of allowing you to apply any feat or effect that applies to improvised weaponry to your ammunition.
Normal: You can't fire fish out of your bow.
Spoilered for cruelty to animals.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 02, 2013, 07:15:03 AM »
Prereq is Throw Anything.  And I love this feat.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 02, 2013, 12:34:19 PM »
A ranged martial discipline flavored for (but not requiring) firearms (but assuming the ones you're using either have the magazine capacity to not need reloading or you have a way of doing so as a free action).

It will have a little sub-mechanic called "target lock". Some maneuvers create it, some maneuvers benefit from it. You can have a target lock on one creature at a time (barring exceptions), and you lose it if you can't see the target or you acquire a target lock on another creature.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 05, 2013, 11:10:47 AM »
Incarnum meets ToB.

You know a number of styles and have a pool of focus. You can have only so many styles readied at a time. You always gain the basic maneuvers of your readied styles. By investing focus in a style, not only are its maneuvers improved, but you gain access to the higher level maneuvers. Just like normal ToB, maneuvers must be recovered once used, but if you don't want to, you can also shift your focus from one style to another, losing access to the maneuvers you've already expended and gaining access to a new set of available maneuvers. Shifting focus is a swift action and you can change your stance while doing so (even to a stance that is only available after shifting your focus). Some abilities may let you shift your focus through other actions.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 08, 2013, 01:08:58 PM »
Goliath feat:  Stone fist.  Basically gain a slam attack that does 1d6 damage.  A bit of a step up from the 1d4 for medium creatures like Warforged, but I think it's fair due to Powerful Build and needing to take a feat for it.

Warforged feat: Adamantine Tracery: Natural weapons and grapples are treated as adamantine for purposes of overcoming DR as well as hardness.  Dunno if it should add a save bonus like the other traceries, or do something else.

Rapidstrike addition: Allow constructs to take Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike, assuming they can take feats at all of course.

Random thought came to mind: What happens when a Warforged druid with the Ironwood Body feat gets his armor enchanted with the Beastskin enhancement and then proceeds to use it?  Funny stuff there.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:12:31 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 10, 2013, 10:29:29 PM »
Ranger variant:  Instead of a flat damage boost against favored enemies, perhaps have Sneak Attack dice instead.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 11, 2013, 12:04:41 AM »
Ranger variant:  Instead of a flat damage boost against favored enemies, perhaps have Sneak Attack dice instead.

Favored Enemy: Ooze!!!

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 11, 2013, 12:30:24 AM »
Yeah, pretty much.  Admittedly though, there are rarely enough oozes going around to make that a meaningful choice.  Constructs and undead though?  Oh yes.

And in case anyone was wondering, changing it to Sneak Attack for the ranger's favored enemy would automatically bypass its immunity to SA because of type.  Since FA is so specialized and limited, it's pretty much the only way to make it meaningful.  Something the designers realized during the 3.5 revamp since in 3.0 a ranger actually didn't get extra damage against creatures immune to crits except via a feat, and that feat applied only to one of the ranger's FAs.

Offline Bauglir

• Constrained
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 11, 2013, 01:00:37 AM »
Yeah, if you're going for racism-based damage, you need to make it reliable on the occasions it actually comes up.