Alignment: Any non-good.
Heavy armor, shields, all martial weapons.
Full BaB, d12 HD. Good Will, poor Fort/Ref.
4+Int skill points.
Disciplines: Restless Bones, Frozen Night, Undying Call, Devoted Spirit
1 Dark Blessing (Fort saves), Deadly Touch
2 Nat armor +2
3 Dark Blessing (Init checks)
4 Fortification (25%), Deathly Resilience (+2 saves)
5 Nat armor +3, DR 5/magic, Death's Steed
6 Resist 5 cold/electricity
7 Dark Blessing (skills)
8 Fear Aura (2/day)
9 Fortification (50%)
10 Resist 10 cold/electricity
11 Nat armor +4, DR 10/magic
12 Deadly Touch (Con damage), Fear Aura (3/day)
13 Dark Blessing (critical confirmation)
14 Resist 20 cold/electricity
15 Fortification (75%)
16 Fear Aura (4/day)
17 Resist 30 cold/electricity
18 Nat armor +5, DR 15/magic
20 Dark Blessing (hp), Death Knight Template (+4 Str, +2 Wis, +2 Cha, Undead type, no Con, 100% fortification, immune to cold/electricity/polymorph, SR 10 + lvl, turn immunity), Fear Aura (5/day)Deadly Touch (Su)
: Gain a touch attack that deals 1d8+Cha damage as negative energy. Does not damage undead, instead healing them for 1 hp.
- 12th: Also deals 1 Con damage to living opponents. Will negates the Con damage (but not the negative energy).Dark Blessing (Su)
- 1st: Add Cha to Fort saves (maximum of Death Knight level).
- 3rd: Add Cha to initiative rolls.
- 7th: Add Cha to Con-based skill checks and to skill checks for known martial discipline skills.
- 13th: Add Cha to critical confirmation rolls.
- 20th: Add Cha to hp/level instead of Con (which you don't have any more at this level).Toughened Flesh
: As your dark transformation begins, your flesh begins to harden.
- 2nd: +2 natural armor
- 4th: 25% fortification
- 5th: +3 natural armor, DR 5/magic
- 9th: 50% fortification
- 11th: +4 natural armor, DR 10/magic
- 15th: 75% fortification
- 18th: +5 natural armor, DR 15/magicDeathly Resilience
- 4th: +2 saves vs. poison, disease, and polymorph
- 6th: Resist 5 to cold/electricity
- 10th: Resist 10 to cold/electricity
- 14th: Resist 20 to cold/electricity
- 17th: Resist 30 to cold/electricityDeath's Steed (Su)
: Upon reaching 5th level, you gain the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed to serve you. Once per day, as a full-round action, you may magically call your mount from the realms in which it resides. The mount immediately appears adjacent to you and remains until dismissed; it may be dismissed at any time as a free action. The mount is the same creature each time it is called, though you may release a particular mount from service. Each time the mount is called, it appears in full health, regardless of any damage it may have taken previously. The mount also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed. Should your mount die or be destroyed, it immediately disappears, leaving behind any equipment it was carrying. You may not summon another mount for one week or until you gain a Death Knight level, whichever comes first, even if the mount is somehow raised or revived.
Fear Aura (Su)
|Death Knight Level||Bonus HD||Str bonus||Int score||Natural Armor||Special|
|Up to 7th||+2||+0||6||+2||Empathic Link, Evasion, Share Saving Throws, Share Spells|
|20th and above||+12||+6||11||+12||--|
Int score: Use this value or the mount's normal Int score, whichever is higher.
5th (normal level)
8th (level -2)
- Fiendish Warhorse
- Fiendish Warpony
11th (level -4)
14th (level -6)
17th (level -8)
- 8th: Can emit an aura of fear as a free action 1/round. 15' radius. Creatures w/ HD <= 4 must Will save or be panicked for 1 round/level. 1/day/4 levels, can intensify it to affect opponents of any HD.
- Wasn't there a Death Knight template somewhere? MM2, I think, and a bunch of other places? Might be fun to do a transformative thing here, too. Martial version of a Lich and all that.
- d12 HDs
- +5 nat armor
- Touch attack (no type listed): 1d8+Cha damage, 1 Con damage. Will half and negates the Con damage (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha)
- Abyssal Blast (Su): 1/day, 20' radius, long range (based on HD, not CL), 1d6/HD damage (max 20d6, half fire, half divine power), Reflex half (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha)
- Fear Aura (Su): Creatures with HD < 5 must Will save or be subject to a fear spell (as Sorcerer, CL = level)
- Undead Followers (no type listed): Total HD <= 2*level. They come on their own once every month. I think I'll just give the follower component of Undead Leadership or something.
- DR (Su): DR 15/magic
- Immunities (Ex): Immune to cold, electricity, and polymorph.
- SR (Su): SR 10+level (minimum 20)
- Summon Mount (Su): Summon a mount (of any creature usually used as a mount, typically a Nightmare) w/ HD <= DK's level/2. If lost/killed, can't resummon for 1 year + 1 day. I think I'll just give something like the Paladin's mount instead.
- Turn Immunity (Ex): Cannot be turned. However, can be banished with Holy Word as if an evil outsider. I think I'll just keep the can't be turned/rebuked part.
- Undead Traits: Laundry list of immunities, no Con score, Darkvision 60'.
- Abilities: +4 Str, +2 Wis, +2 Cha
- CR: +3
- LA: +5
- Gain bonuses to natural armor, Str, and Cha.
- When you become undead at level 20 and lose your Con score entirely, your nat armor, Str, and Cha will be boosted based on what your Con score was without non-instantaneous bonuses. Nothing for 0-11, but 12+ will start granting (smallish) bonuses. Say, +(Con mod + 2)/3 to nat armor, +(Con mod + 1)*2/3 to Str, +(Con mod)*2/3 to Cha. Or something. We'll see.
- Use Cha for various things. Includes Fort saves, HP, Concentration checks, Initiative, crit confirm rolls, etc.
- Has a non-evil aligned variant that does the same but with deathless instead of undead.
- Maneuvers as Warblade. Recovery may be different. I've heard suggestions for both Crusader-style and recovery by taking damage. I'm still looking for something else, but I might come back to those if nothing catches me.
Note: Compatible with DonQuixote's spellshaping Edgewalker Knight
if you focus more on the non-necromantic side of things. More reason to keep the Devoted Spirit discipline.
Skeletal Servant ACF
Replaces Death's Steed.Skeletal Servant
: Starting at 5th level, you can animate a skeleton out of a valid corpse with an hour-long ritual that costs 100g in incense and onyx. The skeleton serves you indefinitely or until destroyed, following your every command. If you dismiss it, the skeleton is immediately destroyed (and cannot be revived, although the original creature can be raised or resurrected as normal). You can only have one skeletal servant at any given time.
Initially, the skeleton can have up to 5 HD. As you gain levels, the skeleton improves, gaining additional racial hit dice and other benefits as noted.
As you gain levels, you can choose to animate more powerful creatures as skeletal servants. For every additional HD, your effective Death Knight level is reduced by 1 when determining the benefits your servant receives. If this would reduce your effective level below 1, you cannot animate and keep such a creature as your skeletal servant.
|Death Knight Level||Bonus HD||Str/Dex bonus||Int/Cha score||Natural Armor||Special|
|Up to 3rd||+1||+0/+0||--/1||+0||Necrotic Link, Share Spells|
|7th-9th||+6||+2/+2||3/7||+1||Feats, Intelligence, Skills|
|19th and above||+18||+6/+6||11/19||+5||Improved Dark Blessing|
Necrotic Link: As familiar's empathic link. In addition, while the link is in place (within 1 mile), cannot be turned, rebuked, commanded, or destroyed unless the turner/rebuker wins an opposed Charisma check with the servant's master.
Share Spells, Evasion, Multiattack, Improved Evasion: As the animal companion versions.
Feats: Gains feats as though it had always had an Intelligence score.
Intelligence: Gains an Intelligence score. Can speak any one language you know. Can heal naturally.
Skills: Gains skill points as though it had always had an Intelligence score.
Dark Blessing: Add Cha to hp for each HD.
Improved Dark Blessing: Add Cha to all saves, and as deflection to AC.
Note: There will be a feat that turns it from a basic skeleton into one of the fancy new monsters introduced here.