Author Topic: Looking for user input: New karma system  (Read 26280 times)

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
Re: Looking for user input: New karma system
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »
Can Moderators see who gave Respect to a post?
I would like to suggest that, instead of summing up all the respects attained, the score should show the highest Respect that any of our posts have.
For example: I have 3 upvoted posts. First has 2 respects, second has 3 and third has 1. Instead of 6, the score should be 3.
What does it do? It shows which people are helpful or contribute enough to get multiple upvotes on one post. It shows that they write quality posts. Who is more worth respect, the guy who wrote a post that got him 10 upvotes or the guy who got 10 upvotes but each for a different post?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:03:46 PM by ImperatorK »
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2012, 09:18:09 PM »
How do you find out what posts got plusses?  Or are the current scores just whatever points we got from the old system?
Points have been reset with the system change. For finding out what posts got upvoted, for now the only possibility is looking for them (for starters, this one by you got three). We're investigating means of searching for upvoted posts.

I would LOVE a way to search for upvoted posts!

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2012, 09:45:41 PM »
Can Moderators see who gave Respect to a post?
I would like to suggest that, instead of summing up all the respects attained, the score should show the highest Respect that any of our posts have.
For example: I have 3 upvoted posts. First has 2 respects, second has 3 and third has 1. Instead of 6, the score should be 3.
What does it do? It shows which people are helpful or contribute enough to get multiple upvotes on one post. It shows that they write quality posts. Who is more worth respect, the guy who wrote a post that got him 10 upvotes or the guy who got 10 upvotes but each for a different post?
it may mean that guy number one just posts on the most trafficked portions of the boards.

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2012, 09:59:22 PM »
All I'm saying is that IMO the score should indicate quality rather than quantity of good posts.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"

Offline StreamOfTheSky

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2012, 10:38:22 PM »
I don't see why a karma system is needed at all...

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2012, 10:42:23 PM »
I don't see why a karma system is needed at all...
Same.

Also, shot ahead of the pack yet again. And while I may have rolled in the "leet" points. Class Boosters, the single best thread here, has one "like". Proof the system is borked, I mean that post is cooler than me :p

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 11:04:33 PM »
And while I may have rolled in the "leet" points. Class Boosters, the single best thread here, has one "like".

I gave you 15 for Bunko's Bargain Basement and 2 for Class Boosters.  I just went through the reference threads I use a lot and marked the posts that contained the content.  (I missed the second post in Class Boosters initially.) Maybe the lesson here is to make sure to split handbooks across as many posts as possible. 

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2012, 11:35:20 PM »
I take it you're the fine fellow who gave me 17 points for Free D&D?

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2012, 12:23:16 AM »
If the system is going to get abused then it's better if there's no system at all.
Magic is for weaklings.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2012, 12:25:41 AM »
I gave you 15 for Bunko's Bargain Basement and 2 for Class Boosters.  I just went through the reference threads I use a lot and marked the posts that contained the content.  (I missed the second post in Class Boosters initially.) Maybe the lesson here is to make sure to split handbooks across as many posts as possible.
Thanks, also I know who my creepy stalker is!

If the system is going to get abused then it's better if there's no system at all.
idk, I like him.

Eer yes. Bad system. Karma sux.

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2012, 12:42:00 AM »
I like the karma system, but there's no point if it doesn't work.
Magic is for weaklings.

Offline Slaughterhouserock

• Hail to the king, baby.
    • View Profile
    • Horror Movie Fans
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2012, 07:46:47 AM »
I like the karma system, but there's no point if it doesn't work.

They never work as intended, which is why I find them pointless.
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »
I find a certain irony on the same people who complain about D&D alignment and claim it's a very subjective thing then proceed to build-in a one-dimensional alignment karma system on this very forums.

I know facebook and google love to do it, but do we really need to jump in the "like" bandwagon? Why don't just let people express their opinion of a post the good, old fashioned way-by typing replies?

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2012, 06:01:01 PM »
I know facebook and google love to do it, but do we really need to jump in the "like" bandwagon? Why don't just let people express their opinion of a post the good, old fashioned way-by typing replies?
+1

The good ole fashionde way, via reply and agreeance.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2012, 09:37:23 PM »
I find a certain irony on the same people who complain about D&D alignment and claim it's a very subjective thing then proceed to build-in a one-dimensional alignment karma system on this very forums.

Sheep of evil corporations. Baaaaaaah

I don't think I've used the respect system and I won't use this one. I only clicked the karma one once but that's gone down the memory shoot.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2012, 12:06:08 AM »
The thing that isn't fair about a traditional karma system is that any noob (myself not excluded) can click and raise a person's prestige. If somebody should be respected, they need to earn that respect from people that are respected themselves.

Therefore, I propose an "infectious" karma system. The moderators start out with 5 points, and everyone else starts with 0. Points can be given only by those with more than 5 points. Thus, only those respected on the forum can recognize others as truly worthy of such respect. Is there a way to code for a system like that?

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2012, 12:26:51 AM »

Because it allows the lurkers to show that they give a damn.

The thing that isn't fair about a traditional karma system is that any noob (myself not excluded) can click and raise a person's prestige. If somebody should be respected, they need to earn that respect from people that are respected themselves.

Therefore, I propose an "infectious" karma system. The moderators start out with 5 points, and everyone else starts with 0. Points can be given only by those with more than 5 points. Thus, only those respected on the forum can recognize others as truly worthy of such respect. Is there a way to code for a system like that?

This is a fairly bad idea in my opinion. We're human, and while we are trying to be responsible moderators, we make mistakes. And a system like that would mean next to nothing. I, for one, have only ever used the previous rep system twice; a system such as that one would also cause elitism far beyond the current or previous ones.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline TheGeometer

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2012, 12:42:19 AM »
Therefore, I propose an "infectious" karma system. The moderators start out with 5 points, and everyone else starts with 0. Points can be given only by those with more than 5 points. Thus, only those respected on the forum can recognize others as truly worthy of such respect.

This is a fairly bad idea in my opinion. We're human, and while we are trying to be responsible moderators, we make mistakes. And a system like that would mean next to nothing. I, for one, have only ever used the previous rep system twice; a system such as that one would also cause elitism far beyond the current or previous ones.

I disagree that the system would mean next to nothing. We're giving people a number to represent how much respect they've gotten. If we're going to have a karma system, it should translate to actual respect, by respected individuals. And if you don't think that you are giving credit where it is due, or if you're not one to use the karma system for other reasons, then don't; there's no pressure to do so.

It would unquestionably cause elitism, but the regular karma system only avoids that effect by having no meaning. If it actually represented what it was supposed to - how much respect a member deserves - then it would create that same effect. The only reason that problem would arise is because my system works. I would much prefer the dismantling of the entire karma system, but if it must exist, let it do its job.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:43:52 AM by TheGeometer »

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2012, 12:48:46 AM »
I prefer a more old-fashioned respect system myself. Simply read a user's post, then decide from the content if it's worth anything. I know that it's more modern to have other people judge things for you, but I'm weird like that.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2012, 01:12:40 AM »
I prefer a more old-fashioned respect system myself. Simply read a user's post, then decide from the content if it's worth anything. I know that it's more modern to have other people judge things for you, but I'm weird like that.
Honestly, I don't think it makes much of a difference. We threw out the old karma system and that worked fine. Then we migrated over here and installed the original one, and I might have used it once or twice for something particularly insightful.

Ahaha no, let's be serious here. I used it when people made especially clever puns.

I've been a member for quite a while now, so most of the opinions I've formed of people have been formed based on discussions I've read rather than on initial impressions from the old karma system. That makes me supremely unqualified to judge the old system--or indeed any of them--since by the time the system produced any measurable results, I'd already come to a conclusion independently.

I will concede that this is an improvement over the old system in that users can now get a more accurate sense of what sort of behavior is praiseworthy. I'm just kind of apathetic toward the whole thing, I guess.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon