Author Topic: Just a little something I thought was interesting...  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Just a little something I thought was interesting...
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »
Take a Bard

A Divine Savage Bardic Sage, to be specific.

If you take a 1-level dip into something with Full BAB and awesome (Warblade, maybe) and are Human, you qualify for Prestige Ranger at 4th level.

Take a one-level dip (two levels, if you feel adventurous), and enjoy!

Here's a semi-decent e6 build that uses this principle; it allows for some fun stuff with our friend, the Acorn of Far Travel.

CG Silverbrow Human Divine Savage Bardic Sage 2/Warblade 1/Divine Savage Bardic Sage +1/Prestige Ranger 2
Two flaws: Any two, really.
Feats:
1st: Dragonfire Inspiration
Flaw: Track
Flaw: Endurance
Bonus: Two Weapon Fighting
3rd: Song of the White Raven
6th: Song of the Heart
Bonus: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting

Maneuvers Known: Lead the Charge, Any other two.
Stances Known: Bolstering Voice.

Spells Known:
0th: Whatever you want.
1st: Inspirational Boost, Hunter's Eye, Calm Animal, Summon Nature's Ally I
2nd: Summon Nature's Ally II, Swift Haste, Whatever you want.

Wield a pair of daggers

Start singing (using Dragonfire Inspiration), cast Inspirational Boost, and have Hunter's Eye up; this gives you +3d6 energy damage and +1d6 Sneak Attack damage with each of your 3 attacks, which can be boosted to 4 a round with Swift Haste.

An average of +14 damage on each attack is lovely, in my mind...
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Just a little something I thought was interesting...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »
I would perhaps pick Crusader in Warblade's place. The healing strike they have is rather tasty. A way of finding extra uses of Bardic music would be rather nice as well.

All in all, this build idea is quite yummy, for E6 in particular.
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 12:04:45 AM »
Crusader would work...

I'm trying to think of ways to advance this; contemplative might be nice, or , maybe, if there is a way to get "Turn Undead" through a feat...

Which domain abilities are treated as Turn Undead for the purpose of prereqs, again? I seem to remember there was at least one.

Because then a quick dip into Contemplative can get me into Ruby Knight Windicator (which might be a bad choice in this case...)

Or Ordained Champion...

Ooh, ooh, maybe this counts as having Ranger casting for the purpose of Stalker of Kharash...

Scrap all that; this dude is going Divine Savage Bardic Sage 2/Crusader 1/Divine Savage Bardic Sage 2 +1/Prestige Ranger 2/Knight of the Raven 3/Prestige Paladin 3/Radiant Servant of Pelor 5/Contemplative 3.

Casts as a 17th level Bard, from the (modified) Bard list, Paladin list, Ranger list, and the Sun, Glory/Purification, and any Pelor domain (I suggest choosing Travel, and immediately swapping it for Travel Devotion).

Also gets sorta-good Turning as an 11th level Cleric.

You have a BAB of +15, meaning you get 5 attacks in a round when TWF, and considering you are casting Hunter's Eye at CL 17 (heck, there's a spell ON THE BARD SPELL LIST that boosts divine CLs by +2...), along with probably wearing a Vest of Legends, owning a Badge of Valor and have Words of Creation as a known feat...

Who could say no to 5+ attacks with +7d6 energy damage (I don't think Silverbrow human limits you to cold damage) each, with +6d6 Sneak Attack to sweeten the deal?

And all your friends also have that +7d6 damage.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 01:14:09 AM »
The general concept should be sound (haven't analyzed it in depth. However, the variant Bards used aren't. Specifically, Sage and Savage both give up the good Reflex save and have incompatible alignments (neutral vs. chaotic on the law-chaos axis). Sage and Divine may also be incompatible due to them both changing the ability score required to cast spells of a given level (to Int and Wis, respectively). Divine and Savage should be compatible, though. As far as I can tell, the Sage part isn't necessary in the original build, right? Since Divine Bard also gives Detect Evil, you can get into PrC Pally with that, anyways.

Offline weenog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:20:05 AM »
Prestige Ranger requires BAB +4.  Even if all your levels are in a full-BAB class, you can't get in till level 5.  Is one of those bard variants improving your base attack advancement to 4/4?
"Whoops, forgot to roll my fire and holy damage."
"I doubt she's going to make a DC 111 Fort save, anyway."

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
I had misread the ban on the classes. Darn.

Also... Why did I get the BAB wrong? I'm in freakin' Calculus!

I might need sleep. A lot of it...

But that is weak talk.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 03:13:02 PM »
Doesn't using Prestige Variants require you to ban their none Prestige counterparts?
In theory, you could ban the normal ranger (using PrC ranger) but use normal bard. But yeah, as Garryl noted, it is playing loose with the alignment rules.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.