Author Topic: 6 hits to 1: Jack B. Quick (by Caelic)  (Read 9333 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
6 hits to 1: Jack B. Quick (by Caelic)
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »
"That's him? That's the notorious Jack B. Quick?"
"Indeed, sir. Have a care...you may be a fine swordsman, but he's the fastest sword in the duchy!"

"Bah." Kothos sauntered forward, his greatsword slung casually over one massively-muscled shoulder. He eyed his opponent scornfully. The man didn't look like much. Average height, not particularly muscular, armed with a plain longsword and handaxe. "You, there! They say you're the fastest sword in the duchy."

The unassuming-looking swordsman smiled thinly. "In the world," he replied, quietly.

Kothos sneered. "Let's find out. Come at me!"

As Kothos assumed a fighting stance, Quick stepped in and struck, once...a stinging, insulting blow. Kothos growled. "That's it? So much for the fastest sword in the world. Goodbye!" So saying, he raised his greatsword for a lethal downswing.

A split-second later, Kothos lay sprawled on the ground, bleeding from half a dozen wounds. His opponent nonchalantly considered a small gash on his shoulder--barely a scratch. "Like I said," he addressed the air. "In the world."

In the spirit of Snow Savant's Chain Gatling Tripper, I offer Jack B. Quick.

Human Fighter 20

1. TWF, Dodge, WF (Longsword)
2. Combat Expertise
3. Improved Trip
4. WF (Handaxe)
6. Improved TWF, High Sword Low Axe
8. Combat Reflexes
9. Karmic Strike
10. Double Hit
12. Robilar's Gambit, Mobility
14. Elusive Target
15. Power Attack
16. Overpowering Attack
18. Improved Unarmed Strike, Defensive Throw
20. Sidestep

The basic notion of the character is simple: for every strike of the opponent's, he will get repeated strikes in return. Early in his life, he's a fairly straightforward two-weapon fighter. Once he hits level 9, though, he begins to shift to his trademark fighting style--his opponent hits him, he strikes back with sword and dagger, trips, and hits again with the sword.

By level 12, he's a full-fledged menace. For every hit by the opponent, Jack will get the following attack sequence: sword-axe-trip-sword, sword-axe-trip-sword. Theoretically, this is eight attacks; however, since most DMs won't allow a player to trip an already-tripped opponent, realistically Jack is going to get six hits to his opponent's one.

At level 16, Jack gets the icing on the cake. He takes a single attack per round (at double damage.) Any attack against him provokes the retaliation above, ALSO at double damage.

While I'm quite happy with the rough build, I'm not as happy with the sequence of feats. Some important feats get left until late in the build. I'd especially like to get Elusive Target earlier, to prevent opponents from out-damaging Jack with one massive shot. I'd also like to find a way to squeeze in Deft Opportunist.

Thoughts?
Please, call me Count :).

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: 6 hits to 1: Jack B. Quick (by Caelic)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »
I realize you're trying to validate a Fighter here, but dipping will improved things a lot.

Passive Way Monk 6 gets free Combat Expertise & Improved Trip, but also +4 to Trip if his opponent is Flat-Footed if he takes Skill Focus(bluff). You also pick up Unarmed Boosts and FoB (more attacks!). Going Monk 7 gives you uber stealth as well.

From there, you could dip Barbarian, both for the fun Lion-Totem abuse but also and more importantly, Whirling Frenzy which gives an extra attack, wording is one extra attack per round yet leaves out the requirements to be Full-Attacking, so hey use it on an AoO. The additional Str boost will help Trip checks as well, and you can buy extra Rage uses as needed.

Then consider Factotum 3, it's Int to Strength checks. Per Trip: If your attack succeeds, make a Strength check opposed by the defender’s Dexterity or Strength check (whichever ability score has the higher modifier). So theres yet more bonuses, because you never know when you need to trip a giant spider. Also this gives Int to Initiative making you have an even faster reaction time, and you can pick up skills like Iaijitsu Focus, it's a skill based on drawing your sword fast.

Finally, go Fighter. Well, not normal Fighter of course, use the Drow sub for +2 to Initiative Dex to Damage and against Flat-Footed foes, which via Dark Moon Disciple form Monk, they pretty much always are. You want to pick up Double Hit & Robilar's Gambit with your Fighter Dip. For your normal 12th you want the flat-out extra attack granter, Snap Kick.

Warblade at this point is nice. It rounds out some missing traits and lets you pick up Dancing Mongoose, bu hey w/e. Just take Weapon Focus & Planar Touchstone(oxyrhynchus). Honestly, picking up an extra two Feats would allows for GTWF and Knock-Down, so I'd look into Psychic Fighter or something.

You should be somewhere at: TWF(F), Dodge(F), Karmic Strike (1st), Improved Unarmed Strike(B), Combat Expertise(B), Improved Trip(B), Skill Focus[Bluff](3rd), Combat Reflexes(6th), ITWF(9th), Double Hit(B), Robilar's Gambit(B), Snap Kick(12th), Weapon Focus[unarmed strike](15th), Planar Touchstone[oxyrhynchus](18th) or better.

You've got super stealth, and by that I mean you have Full-Concealment virtually all the time for near spell immunity and 50% chance to by missed by an attack (kind of ruins karmantic strike) which sets up the Dex to Damage & +4 to Trip. While Raging, you can take a -9 penalty to attack with an AoO you attack five items at your highest BAB. Once for your main hand, then off hand, then snap kick, then oxyrhynchus, then of course whirling frenzy. This sequence it's self is triggered up to twice, once for Robilar's Gambit and a possible second time for Karmic Strike. Pretty much, if you have the Dex and AC for it you attack everyone eight times for each attack they fail to hit you with and Whirling tosses in an extra attack in there somewhere. And I'm not saying Trip an already Prone Opponent (which btw the FAQ says no) to hit this number.

On your Full-Attack, you FoB, Monk 7 + Belt means you get Greater Furry. That's +2~+3 for TWF, +2 Fob, +1 Snap Kick, +1 Oxyrhynchus, maybe +1 Haste, and +1 Dancing Mongoose usable every other round if you want speed over double damage per attack, which is an option to pick up if you tweak the build just a hair. So you don't have to wait for someone to attack you either. If you did pick up Knock-Down, you can also Trip as part of a normal attack, so you never have to pick between Tripping or dealing damage.

Amazing what can be done when Fighter 20 is dropped to Fighter 2. It's like D&D hates them...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:45:00 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »
I realize you're trying to validate a Fighter here, but dipping will improved things a lot.

Actually this was not by me. If you'll look at the title it says "6 hits to 1: Jack B. Quick (by Caelic)".
Please, call me Count :).

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 07:48:56 PM »
Yep.  Jack's an old build (6 years old, I think?  Give or take?)  May not even be legal, depending on how your DM interprets the interaction between Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit.  I'm still fond of him, though; thanks for posting him.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 07:50:23 PM »

Actually this was not by me. If you'll look at the title it says "6 hits to 1: Jack B. Quick (by Caelic)".
*smacks head* doh.

Well someone [Caelic] is trying to make a good Fighter build, and the concept its self is really good, its just on the optimization of things Fighter 20 is pretty lack luster so I posted some suggestions to go with it (this is the min/max area). Hopefully the Factotum 3 suggestion doesn't break the mundane aspect too much.

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »
I appreciate the suggestions, and they'd certainly make the character stronger, but the whole point of Jack was to see what could be done with a straight fighter-20 build.  If someone wants to make a reactive AoO-based martial character incorporating the dips you suggested, I'd love to see it.