Author Topic: Look at this thing I found in Pathfinder! The bad feats/spells/etc thread  (Read 58626 times)

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
New feat courtesy of Planar Adventures!
PEACE OF MIND (CONDUIT)
Source Planar Adventures pg. 31
The blissful peace of Nirvana is never more than a thought away from your mind.

Prerequisites: Knowledge (planes) 3 ranks.

Benefit: As an immediate action when you fail a saving throw against an emotion, fear, or pain effect, you can ignore the effect and instead become dazed for an amount of time equal to twice the duration of the original effect. Any nonlethal damage you would have taken from the original effect is reduced to its minimum value (as though a 1 had been rolled on all dice). You cannot activate this ability if you are currently dazed.

You can use this feat’s benefit once per day, plus an additional time per day for every 5 ranks you have in Knowledge (planes).

I think the only good use of this is against spells with instantaneous durations or if you somehow develop daze immunity. There might be a few cases where the regular condition is worse than daze (confusion?), but even then the doubled duration makes it a dubious proposition. For the most part this feat's effect is much worse than what that spell was going to do to you.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
I'd rather be panicked and escaping danger than dazed and being murdered uncontested  :lol

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • Somewhat Angry, Most of the Time
    • View Profile
Wow, that's impressively stupid.
I hate picking signatures.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
Oh, and there's a limited number of uses per day.  Not that you'd survive the first use anyway  :lmao
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline SorO_Lost

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
    • View Profile
Oh, and there's a limited number of uses per day.
Well you wouldn't want it to be overpowered right?
Would you die if you jumped from my perceived ego to your IQ? - Is 15secs of confirmation bias a goal post worth arguing for? - Ever asked a "victim" what they did to deserve it? - Are the words teen, SJW, & liberal synonyms? - "Only Sith deals in absolutes" contains a misspelled word.

Offline Keldar

• What's this button do?
    • View Profile
At least it actually does something.  That thing is incredibly stupid, but it does do it!

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
There's an open argument to be had whether it would've been better if it didn't do anything at all though. Using it seems much worse than not using it.

Offline Maelphaxerazz

• Respect: over 9000
    • View Profile
There is at least a couple of cases where it might be useful: Phantasmal Killer and Weird are Fear effects, and being dazed is better than dying instantly.

Still an awful feat, of course.

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Those were the exact spells I was referring to when I spoke of spells with instantaneous duration, but it's an open question as technically speaking effects with a duration of instantaneous are interpreted to be permanent effects.

Offline Nanshork

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
Those were the exact spells I was referring to when I spoke of spells with instantaneous duration, but it's an open question as technically speaking effects with a duration of instantaneous are interpreted to be permanent effects.

Eh, even then a 6th level paladin could remove it and since the feat isn't a curse, disease, or poison the removal is permanent.

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Maybe so, but failing saves vs Phantasmal Killer is pretty hard, unless they really cheesed DCs and added a Persistent Spell metamagic on top, not to mention Pathfinder GMs tend to never use that kind of ability on players. This isn't the old D&D where you throw around save-or-die, permanent level drain, and others kinds of serious hazards at players. Today's Pathfinder GMs will fudge dice if they're worried their monster has been critting too often.

Offline Nanshork

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
I didn't say that it made the feat good, I just said that being permanently dazed isn't something to worry about.   :p

Also we have different kinds of Pathfinder GMs.

Offline SorO_Lost

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
    • View Profile
Also we have different kinds of Pathfinder GMs.
It's probably a generational gap.

Remember Gygax's love of murderous dungeons that killed players for arbitrary reasons?
By 3rd, the Red Hand of Doom simply penalized players for not keeping up with everything.
And by 5th, players hands are held. They can completely skip fights or even trivialize campaign bosses (Tiamat takes like five rounds to use her stat block, most of ToEE's guys auto die vs disarm), heck one of the best weapons in 5th is obtained by not killing someone. >.>
Would you die if you jumped from my perceived ego to your IQ? - Is 15secs of confirmation bias a goal post worth arguing for? - Ever asked a "victim" what they did to deserve it? - Are the words teen, SJW, & liberal synonyms? - "Only Sith deals in absolutes" contains a misspelled word.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • Somewhat Angry, Most of the Time
    • View Profile
heck one of the best weapons in 5th is obtained by not killing someone. >.>

I see nothing wrong with that one, particularly thrown against the unexpected. Player murder isn't always the cruellest option. :p
I hate picking signatures.