Author Topic: Aundair  (Read 9053 times)

Offline McPoyo

  • Legendary Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1086
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2011, 07:52:42 AM »
Kargos's eyes give away a bit of disbelieving criticism as he wanders into the canopy, "So, we're going to stay in a tangle of flammable trees? That seems an...interesting idea in a war."

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2011, 07:27:57 PM »
The nearest entrance has a trio of elves standing watch they give a salute which Thalia returns. They eye Kargos, but Thalia says something in elvish, drawing their attention back to her. She stops and talks for a brief moment while the dwarf makes his way through the entry way. As he finishes his statement he clears the short wooden tunnel, his eye's take in quite an industrial sight. There are elvish and numerous woodlands creatures setting up a uniformed, yet somewhat elegant, military camp. A majority of the structures are made of canvas, but a couple of the larger central buildings look to being made of wood. Scattered throughout the camp are the still living trees, used as tent posts to flag polls.

Thalia catches up a moment later, "I suppose you would prefer stone and metal?"
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline McPoyo

  • Legendary Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1086
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2011, 07:41:21 AM »
"I still stand by my flammable comment," Kargos gruffly replies, though its lack of conviction and his wide eyed gaze belies his wonder at the sight. "Where do we go from here? Where should we be checking in?

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2011, 07:53:19 PM »
Thalia just shrugs, "All things burn."

She thinks about it for a moment before replying, "One of the larger tents is probably being used for reporting in, until contruction is complete. Lets try over there." The elf points to where there is a rather large group gathered.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline McPoyo

  • Legendary Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1086
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 10:44:36 AM »
Kargos nods and alters his course, having to stretch to try to see over the gathered soldiers when he gets close.

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 07:02:29 PM »
The crowd turned out to be half line, half onlookers. Both halves are watching the construction of one of the large buildings, but it is not the work they are watching, rather the large bear and giant of a man working on the building. Thalia gasps at the sight.

The line leads to the opening of the nearby tent, where you can see scribes at work.

"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 02:34:23 PM »
While waiting Thalia says not a word and frequently glances over at the subjects of interest. The progress is rather slow, but there seems to be no initially obvious cause for it.

Nearing the tent's entrance, the sluggish pace starts to make sense, as you hear the scribes asking those signing in a large list a question. The scribes themselves are each gnome, adorn with a symbol of House Sivis, and are unceasingly writing. The only pauses you see any of them make is to move a full sheet of paper over or to call the next person forward.

Having finally reached the front of the line, you and Thalia wait for the next scribe to open up. When one does, she calls out, "Next." Both of you head in that direction and the gnome gives you a glare, "One at a time," annoyance is clear in her voice. Thalia being ahead of you continues forward, the gnome gives you a final glare, "Now get back in line," she then starts grilling Thalia.

It takes a few minutes, but eventually another gnome calls for the next person. He has a long, full beard; quite an unusual feature for a gnome. On his left hand you can see the telltale blue and purple of a dragonmark. “Oh ho, a dwarf, with a right nice beard too! Maybe you can give me some tips for mine. Some days I just can’t seem to get it to stop itching, know anything for that? Or perhaps you could teach me how to braid it?” The gnome to his right clears her throat rather loudly. “Shove off you up tight prude.” Not seeming to notice she clears her throat once more. “Fine…” Your gnome then shifts to a very mono-tone voice, “Name?” and then in a whisper, “I swear these gnomes have never had fun in their whole lives. Only reason they tolerate me is ‘cause I’m marked.”
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline McPoyo

  • Legendary Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1086
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »
"Kargos Hammerstar," he clearly announces, then in a quieter voice, "I remember those days, put a little bit of bacon grease on it when it itches, it'll stop itching after a couple weeks of that." Kargos gives a sidelong glance at the female gnome who kept clearing her throat.

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »
The female gnome is rather old, with heavily wrinkled skin. Quite the opposite, her clothes are made in the latest fashion and are pristine.

The gnome’s eyebrows shoot up at the suggestion, “Bacon grease? Wouldn’t that smell a bit?” Keeping up appearances the also continues his line of questioning, “Unit?”
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline McPoyo

  • Legendary Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1086
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »
"Gotta make sure you get the fresh stuff to use when you first get up, and wash it out before you go to bed. Keeps it from going rancid. Just watch out for dogs following you," is the muttered reply, before clearly announcing "Third Brigade, 7th Light Infantry. We took more casualties in the retreat than we did while holding the line, and the retreat's organization degenerated rapidly with us trading blows with the damned cavalry charges." Kargos spits on the ground in disgust. "Do you know if many of us survived? I've only seen a handful of us since we entered the city."

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »
"That makes sense, I'll have to try it." The gnome nods through your report as he writes it down. With your question he pauses, “I guess I could see what I can find out,” And with that he disappeared behind the counter.

Several minutes and the occasional glance in your direction later, your bearded gnome hops back up to the counter with a small stack of papers. “Let’s see here…” He flips through the papers, “The reports we have so far seem to agree with yours, though there are not terribly many of them, I’m sad to say. There are…” The gnome pauses while he finishes going through the pile. “…52 reports so far, barely a fifth of your unit. I, uh…” He then trails off.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline McPoyo

  • Legendary Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1086
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2012, 08:00:23 PM »
Kargos quirks one of his heavy eyebrows, giving a soft clearing of his throat to prompt the gnome to continue.

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
The gnome looks down, as if ashamed, "I just wish I had better news to give you Kargos."
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline McPoyo

  • Legendary Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1086
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2012, 08:42:29 AM »
"Ah, not your fault," Kargos replies, his voice a little gruffer than usual. "And there's nothing to do for it, anyway. If you'll direct me to my barracks, I'll get out of your way and wait for the next chance to take it out on those Thranish dogs responsible."

Offline Sohala

  • Honorary Mod
  • *****
  • Posts: 661
  • A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2012, 04:53:05 PM »
The gnome gives a reluctant nod in acceptance. Somberly he gives general direction to some housing before saying his farewells, under the scornful eyes of the female gnome. He catches the look and his face turns to a grin and gives a slight chuckle before calling the next person up.

Outside the tent Thalia is leaning against a building, waiting for you. She hasn’t noticed you yet.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline McPoyo

  • Legendary Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1086
    • View Profile
Re: Aundair
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »
Kargos moves somberly over to her, "Looks like the stories we heard during the retreat were true, Lass. Most of our company was wiped out. I've got where our barracks is supposed to be, maybe we can find the few of us left, assuming they don't combine companies at this point." His gruffness betrays his hurt over this news.