Author Topic: Spin-off OOC  (Read 94523 times)

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
Re: Spin-off OOC
« Reply #320 on: July 06, 2013, 05:45:46 PM »
Use riding rules, but in combat you can only fit as many as there's confortable space. You're considered ill suited as a mount.

So it's a DC 5 check to stay on when you take damage, you can make a DC 15 check to take cover (at the expense of any other action) and mounting/ dismounting is a move action unless you make the DC 20 check to make it a free action. All of these checks get -5 because Regideus is ill suited as a mount (until he takes a level of Titanic Creature anyway.)

For mounted casting, use the mounted combat rules (you can cast before or after the mount moves without penalty, to cast while moving make a concentration check DC 10+ spell level (does that take the ill suited as a mount penalty?))?

Because the guys in front are being used as meat shields. You know, actual reasons for people to make tight formations.

In front of what? An area effect that encompasses the whole of the mob's area would hit the guys in front, and the guys behind, and the guys anywhere else. That's kinda the point of area effects (and the reason that tight formations don't protect against things like artillery, poison gas, flash grenades, and similar analogues to magic AoEs.)

In any case, what about effects that do things to the ground, rather than the members of the mob itself? For instance, the Earthbreaker formula (predictably) breaks the earth, which immobilizes for a turn and makes the ground difficult terrain. Would that affect a mob normally?

"If a mob fails a save against a spell/effect that would normally kill/incapacitate a certain number of creatures, such as disintregate, slay living or wail of the bashee, it loses the total HP of the dead members from it's HP total."

So what does an area daze effect (which would incapacitate everyone in the area) do to a mob? Destroy it in a single hit?

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 06, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »
What happens if a mob fails a save against the insanity induced by Pseudonatural Creature?

Mosh pit!

I'd like to see what happens to a mob if Alan hits it with his Scrambler.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 06, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
I guess that some of them make the save?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #323 on: July 06, 2013, 06:35:04 PM »
I should move around to the bottom of the place, right? :blush

What happens if a mob fails a save against the insanity induced by Pseudonatural Creature? Splits into two smaller mobs that attack each other? @_@

Stays the same. Mobs never were very logic to begin with. :p

Use riding rules, but in combat you can only fit as many as there's confortable space. You're considered ill suited as a mount.

So it's a DC 5 check to stay on when you take damage, you can make a DC 15 check to take cover (at the expense of any other action) and mounting/ dismounting is a move action unless you make the DC 20 check to make it a free action. All of these checks get -5 because Regideus is ill suited as a mount (until he takes a level of Titanic Creature anyway.)

For mounted casting, use the mounted combat rules (you can cast before or after the mount moves without penalty, to cast while moving make a concentration check DC 10+ spell level (does that take the ill suited as a mount penalty?))?
Yes to all. Remember your followers have nonelite array of stats and only NPC classes whitout penalty, with adepts at -1 level penalty and PC levels at -2 level penalty.

Because the guys in front are being used as meat shields. You know, actual reasons for people to make tight formations.

In front of what? An area effect that encompasses the whole of the mob's area would hit the guys in front, and the guys behind, and the guys anywhere else. That's kinda the point of area effects (and the reason that tight formations don't protect against things like artillery, poison gas, flash grenades, and similar analogues to magic AoEs.)
Those work because real world physics. However pretty much all area effects in D&D work by magic, that doesn't give a single shit about real world physics. However one day mundanes discovered real world physics don't work on them very well, like a guy that charged 1000 feet having the same extra cinetic energy as the guy that charged 10 feet. And guys with training in blades and war cuting down stars if they got a sun burn. And thus the mob/unit template was developed to allow groups of tiny men to take area effects head on and somebody surviving.

In any case, what about effects that do things to the ground, rather than the members of the mob itself? For instance, the Earthbreaker formula (predictably) breaks the earth, which immobilizes for a turn and makes the ground difficult terrain. Would that affect a mob normally?
The mob would still be affected by hard terrain, however they also would just throw their comrade's bodies into the cracks to fill them and walk over.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 06, 2013, 06:45:45 PM »
Even if the mob fails by 10 or more, there's no loss of members or HP? @_@

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 06, 2013, 06:53:08 PM »
Those work because real world physics. However pretty much all area effects in D&D work by magic, that doesn't give a single shit about real world physics. However one day mundanes discovered real world physics don't work on them very well, like a guy that charged 1000 feet having the same extra cinetic energy as the guy that charged 10 feet. And guys with training in blades and war cuting down stars if they got a sun burn. And thus the mob/unit template was developed to allow groups of tiny men to take area effects head on and somebody surviving.
:lmao
I wish I could upvote that.

The mob would still be affected by hard terrain, however they also would just throw their comrade's bodies into the cracks to fill them and walk over.
Agreed, that's what the grots and squigs are for.
(seriously, this is reminding me of how the mobs in a Waaagh! work)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 06, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »
You still haven't answered the question about area Daze but I'll assume you meant "incapacitated" as a synonym for dead rather than referring to daze or stun effects.

In any case, I understand how mobs work now.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 06, 2013, 07:53:32 PM »
Quick question on Alan's blurring armor:  It says it behaves exactly like the Blur spell.  Does that mean it can be used to hide in, as per the concealment rules?  I assumed a no on that for the start of combat.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 14, 2013, 11:51:01 PM »
Osle?  Can you clarify whether Alan's armor's Blur effect would allow hiding from the bandits?  Mostly asking since the effect is not likely intended.  If Alan can hide with it, his next step is to slip through and hopefully get a hit on Bagra with the Scrambler.  If not, he'll intersperse his Scrambler use with some armbolt hits to leave some of the raiders a bit weaker until he's in range of Bagra to use his Scrambler and hopefully knock out some of his leader abilities.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 15, 2013, 07:40:18 AM »
Sorry, completely missed that.

If you had started hiding before, it would work, but the hide skill states that "If people are observing you, even casually, you can’t hide." You would need something that fully blocks line of sight to hide at this point. actually screw that rule, go ahead and hide with Blur. :p

Also, since Bagra is the leader of the up-left bandit mob, you can't target him with single-target effects unless you roll a natural 20.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 15, 2013, 08:23:57 AM »
Myriam appears to not be on the map, by the way.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 15, 2013, 08:43:31 AM »
Updated map.

Offline Sneaky_Sable

• Legendary Member
  • Watching Ponies
    • View Profile
    • DOUBLE EXPOSURE
« Reply #332 on: July 15, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »
Whassup.

So I get back from the convention (Very fun, by the way) and I found myself sick to the gills with something that was only a few letter away from being spelled bronchitis.

I'm better now, not 100%, but I'm good to post.
Link to my homebrews

(Offsite server may be unstable. Report broken / unresponsive link with Post Upvote button)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2013, 05:02:04 PM »
Hm.

Please, nobody attack the bandit to the right of Regideus. Aside from anything else, it's the only thing I can affect and, well... it's going to be a little tied up, soon.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 15, 2013, 05:34:02 PM »
Uh, hopefully that's not the one I just critical hit with an AoO....  :blush

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 15, 2013, 05:53:40 PM »
Am I going to spend the whole fight walking ominously forwards? :(

If it's alive though, I can grapple it, which is what's really important right now.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 15, 2013, 07:00:55 PM »
I am suddenly reminded of Galaxy Quest.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 15, 2013, 08:34:52 PM »
I am suddenly reminded of Galaxy Quest.

That isn't at all representative. :p

More like this abomination. Except far smaller.

... well, and without the crazy man in the middle.

I should point out that that is the single eldritch abomination I know there's a clip of off of the top of my head. :lmao
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:36:51 PM by Raineh Daze »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 15, 2013, 10:30:04 PM »
I dunno, Galaxy Quest might fit. It's got a rock monster too.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 16, 2013, 11:16:15 AM »
Uh, hopefully that's not the one I just critical hit with an AoO....  :blush

Speaking of which, which one of your aoos was aimed at who? There's no raider 1 and raider 2, there's left rider(suffering from Raineh Daze's penalty) and right rider (currently no ill effects).