Author Topic: An 3.5 version Wizard Handbook - Discussion Thread  (Read 3627 times)

Offline Girniverse

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
An 3.5 version Wizard Handbook - Discussion Thread
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:23:19 PM »
This is the discussion thread for my recent writing wizard handbook: A quasi-New, half-Compiled and trying-Everything-included v3.5 Wizard Handbook.

I know it is a huge topic. I was supposed to include as much as I can. However there must be something or some interesting ideas I missed or didn't realize. So I want to hear your comments, criticisms, ideas and so forth. Thanks in advance!

Offline MirddinEmris

• Lurker
  • Holier than thou
    • View Profile
Re: An 3.5 version Wizard Handbook - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:05:22 AM »
You should mention in races that Dwarves get access to Runesmith and, of course, mention Runesmith in PrC chapter.

Runesmith is good (not "Incantatrix" good, but still very solid choice). First, it make your spell auto-still, on first level, which is really good, but it gets even better. On 3rd level it allows you to prepare runes (Con mod per day) instead of spells - spell level increases by two (note that this is not metamagic), but it allows other cast this spell as effective as you, without UMD or anything. Just imaging applications for that. Party rogue needs an invisibility spell? Give him a rune so he could cast it when he want's and don't bother you. Give all team members rune of dimension door for quick escape or just completely ruin all this magic shop in town, 'cause you don't need gold or XP to create this mega-scrolls (better then them in any possible way). And on 5 level you get an ability to inscribe some spell on your body. Once and permanent decision, so use it wisely - sacrifice slot of one level higher and get this spell as a spell-like ability twice per day (limited wish is a very good choice i think). You pay full price but only once (though, clarify that moment with GM). And on the top of this, runesmiths have d6 HD and high Fort and Will saves to ensure you survivability.
There is only one downside to all of this goodies - somehow you need to get proficiency with heavy armor (more reasons to dip into cleric, i think, or even fighter), so you lose 1 caster level (or 3 feats, which is much worse).

With all this, Dwarves makes very powerful wizards (and with better chances of survival on low levels)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:12:19 AM by MirddinEmris »

Offline Demelain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:39:24 PM »
Middle/Old/Venerable ages gives you physical-1, mental+1/physical-2, mental+2/physical-3, mental+3! Hence a venerable age grants you Int/Wis/Cha+6 totally.
Unless this has been errata'd somewhere, according to PHB pg 109, your mental stats only increase by +1 for each age category, unlike the scaling physical penalties. This will net you +3 to all mental stats, not +6. Realized their might be a specific rule once I saw that this was commonly mentioned for Incarnum races, checked and found that their table is wonky. Carry on and ignore me. Though I'd double check MoI errata, just in case.

Daelkyr Half-BloodMoE - An interesting race in Magic of Eberron. At first level you gain one symbiont, and Symbiont Mastery bonus feat. At 5th, 10th and 15th character levels, you have additional symbionts. Some of symbiont's abilities are very nice. Besides every symbiont has share spell as supernatural ability which is even greater than Familiars', since their share spell ability can share spell/spell-like abilities to their master back!! This opens many new possibilities of wizard-fighting styles. Symbionts in certain senses are like Familiars. So imagine you with your 4+1 "Familiars" together to battle!
The new symbiotes become available, but they replace your previous one. You can only have one at a time.
Quote from: MoE 37
A s a daelkyr half-blood advances in level, he can grow a new personal symbiont as indicated on the table below. Any new personal symbiont grown replaces the old symbiont.

Primordial GiantSoX - It boost Int/Cha by +4, but only qualified for Giant which is +1 LA race. If you play a giant, it is a must-have template. Of course changeling with emulation feat can also qualify for this!
CPsi 148 introduces racial classes for the Half-Giant, among others. The text seems a bit ambiguous to me as to whether or not you have to finish the racial class. If your DM rules that you do not, then you can take some of the base traits of the Half-Giant (+2 CON, -2 DEX, Giant type, fire acclimated, low light vision) without taking the level adjustment. This allows you to qualify for Primordial Giant.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:22:47 PM by Demelain »

Offline Girniverse

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:52:38 AM »
You should mention in races that Dwarves get access to Runesmith and, of course, mention Runesmith in PrC chapter.

Runesmith is good (not "Incantatrix" good, but still very solid choice). First, it make your spell auto-still, on first level, which is really good, but it gets even better. On 3rd level it allows you to prepare runes (Con mod per day) instead of spells - spell level increases by two (note that this is not metamagic), but it allows other cast this spell as effective as you, without UMD or anything. Just imaging applications for that. Party rogue needs an invisibility spell? Give him a rune so he could cast it when he want's and don't bother you. Give all team members rune of dimension door for quick escape or just completely ruin all this magic shop in town, 'cause you don't need gold or XP to create this mega-scrolls (better then them in any possible way). And on 5 level you get an ability to inscribe some spell on your body. Once and permanent decision, so use it wisely - sacrifice slot of one level higher and get this spell as a spell-like ability twice per day (limited wish is a very good choice i think). You pay full price but only once (though, clarify that moment with GM). And on the top of this, runesmiths have d6 HD and high Fort and Will saves to ensure you survivability.
There is only one downside to all of this goodies - somehow you need to get proficiency with heavy armor (more reasons to dip into cleric, i think, or even fighter), so you lose 1 caster level (or 3 feats, which is much worse).

With all this, Dwarves makes very powerful wizards (and with better chances of survival on low levels)

Thanks! That's a very good PrC!! I had read this PrC long time ago and was impressed by its 3rd and 5th level abilities, but by accident forgot this only-Dwarf accessible PrC somehow! I will absolutely add it up to the PrC section, and maybe change the rating level for Dwarf race.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:23:52 PM by Girniverse »

Offline Girniverse

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:22:23 PM »
Middle/Old/Venerable ages gives you physical-1, mental+1/physical-2, mental+2/physical-3, mental+3! Hence a venerable age grants you Int/Wis/Cha+6 totally.
Unless this has been errata'd somewhere, according to PHB pg 109, your mental stats only increase by +1 for each age category, unlike the scaling physical penalties. This will net you +3 to all mental stats, not +6. Realized their might be a specific rule once I saw that this was commonly mentioned for Incarnum races, checked and found that their table is wonky. Carry on and ignore me. Though I'd double check MoI errata, just in case.

I think there are different age categories for some special races. I checked the MoI errata. They were not corrected fortunately. Not only races in MoI, there are races in RotW, like Killoren, they all fall into the different age categories from PHB races. I think it is designed by wizard coast people on purpose, but few players or DMs really notice it.

Daelkyr Half-BloodMoE - An interesting race in Magic of Eberron. At first level you gain one symbiont, and Symbiont Mastery bonus feat. At 5th, 10th and 15th character levels, you have additional symbionts. Some of symbiont's abilities are very nice. Besides every symbiont has share spell as supernatural ability which is even greater than Familiars', since their share spell ability can share spell/spell-like abilities to their master back!! This opens many new possibilities of wizard-fighting styles. Symbionts in certain senses are like Familiars. So imagine you with your 4+1 "Familiars" together to battle!
The new symbiotes become available, but they replace your previous one. You can only have one at a time.
Quote from: MoE 37
A s a daelkyr half-blood advances in level, he can grow a new personal symbiont as indicated on the table below. Any new personal symbiont grown replaces the old symbiont.

Thanks for the correction. I think you are right that Daelkyr could only have one symbiont at one time. I will downgrade the rating of this race. It looks not that attractive at all if there is only one symbiont available.

Primordial GiantSoX - It boost Int/Cha by +4, but only qualified for Giant which is +1 LA race. If you play a giant, it is a must-have template. Of course changeling with emulation feat can also qualify for this!
CPsi 148 introduces racial classes for the Half-Giant, among others. The text seems a bit ambiguous to me as to whether or not you have to finish the racial class. If your DM rules that you do not, then you can take some of the base traits of the Half-Giant (+2 CON, -2 DEX, Giant type, fire acclimated, low light vision) without taking the level adjustment. This allows you to qualify for Primordial Giant.

Yea...the wording is tricky in CPsi. But as you said, it somehow depends if you can convince your DM~ :)