« on: May 19, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
Tharn
HD: d10

LevelBABFortRefWillClass Features
1st0+20+2Bestial Body, Chaos Frenzy, Str +1, Con +1
2nd+1+30+3Instiller of Pandemonium, Wild senses, Con +1
3rd+2+3+1+3Threatening Aura, Str +1, Con +1
4th+3+4+1+4Living Catapult, Con +1

Skills: 2 + Int mod, quadruple at 1st level.  Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival, Swim, Use Rope.

Proficiencies: Tharn are proficient with all simple weapons, handaxes, throwing axes, battleaxes, greataxes, greatclubs light and medium armor, and no shields.

Bestial Body (Ex): At 1st level a Tharn loses all racial bonuses it had, and gains darkvision 60 feet.  It is a monstrous humanoid with a base speed of 30 feet.  It has a Natural Armor bonus equal to its Constitution modifier.  A Tharn also has two retractable claws on each hand as natural weapons.  They deal 1d4+Str modifier in slashing damage.

Chaos Frenzy (Ex): A number of times per day equal to half its HD, a Tharn can enter into a state of emotional furor similar to a Barbarian Rage.  While under the effects of a Chaos Frenzy, a Tharn gains +4 to Strength, +2 temporary hit points per HD, a +2 bonus on Fortitude and Will saves, but a -2 penalty to Armor Class.  The Rage lasts a number of rounds equal to 5 + the Tharn’s Constitution modifier.  At the end of a Chaos Frenzy, the Tharn is fatigued for the duration of the current encounter.  Chaos Frenzy does not stack with a Barbarian Rage or the Rage spell.
   At 4 HD, a Tharn gains the Slippery Mind Rogue Special ability while under the effects of a Chaos Frenzy.
   At 8 HD, any creature the Tharn strikes in melee while under a Chaos Frenzy must roll a Will Save (DC 10 + ½ HD + Cha mod) or be confused for 1d4 rounds.
   At 12 HD, a Tharn gains DR/- equal to half its HD while under the effects of a Chaos Frenzy.

Ability Increase: A Tharn receives +1 to its Strength score at 1st and 3rd level, and +1 to its Constitution scores per level, to a maximum of +2 Strength and +4 Constitution at 4th level in the Tharn monster class.

Wild Senses (Su): Whispers of the Devourer Wurm alert the Tharn to the hidden secrets of the world.  At 2nd level, a Tharn gains a racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks equal to half its HD, and the scent extraordinary ability.  At 6 HD, a Tharn’s natural and manufactured weapons can reach past the veil of the afterlife and hit incorporeal opponents without penalty.  At 10 HD, the Tharn can roll two Will Saves to disbelieve illusions and take the better result.

Cry of Pandemonium (Su):  At 2nd level, a number of times per day equal to half its HD, a Tharn can emit supernatural waves of discord with a battle cry as a standard action.  All enemy opponents within 20 feet of the Tharn must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 10 + HD + spell level) to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability.  This ability lasts a number of rounds equal to 3 + the Tharn’s Charisma modifier.  The ability’s radius moves with the Tharn.

Threatening Aura (Ex): A Tharn strikes fear into its opponents acting like a thrashing madman with no fear of death.  At 3rd level, as a move action, a Tharn can use Intimidate to demoralize an opponent.  A number of times per day equal to its HD x2 as a move action, a Tharn can turn all adjacent squares into difficult terrain for one round as it whips its weapon around itself with incredible velocity.

Living Catapult (Ex):  A Tharn can strike opponents with such force that they’re sent flying across the battlefield.  A number of times per day equal to its Hit Die x2, a Tharn can make a normal attack against a target.  If the attack successfully hits, the target takes normal damage and is moved a number of feet equal to 5 x the Tharn’s Strength modifier in a direction of the Tharn’s choice and is knocked prone.  Subtract 10 feet for every size category the target is above the Tharn.
   If the target’s course of movement is hindered by an object or creature of a larger size category, the target and object both take 4d6 + Tharn’s Str mod in damage and fall prone.  A large target which covers multiple squares can affect multiple objects and creatures.

Comments

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:20:24 PM by Libertad »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Tharn
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »
Looking nice at first glance, but some details that need to be worked:
-Does Chaos Frenzy stacks with Rage?
-Full bab with full str increase with chaos frenzy and good proficiencies is too much. You'll have to cut something somewhere.
-Why doesn't Cry of Pandemonium's DC increases? Spellcasters will be pumping their concentration like mad.
-What's the action needed to make dificult terrain with Threatening Aura? And does a negative Cha mod reduces the duration?
-Does Living Catapult still deals normal weapon damage to the target?

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »
1. Does Chaos Frenzy stacks with Rage?
2. Full bab with full str increase with chaos frenzy and good proficiencies is too much. You'll have to cut something somewhere.
3. Why doesn't Cry of Pandemonium's DC increases? Spellcasters will be pumping their concentration like mad.
4. What's the action needed to make dificult terrain with Threatening Aura? And does a negative Cha mod reduces the duration?
5. Does Living Catapult still deals normal weapon damage to the target?

1. No.  Otherwise no sensible Tharn build wouldn't take a dip in the Barbarian class.

In fact, I feel that Chaos Frenzy is still too similar to Barbarian Rage, better even.  But the Barbarian's a Tier 4 and one-trick pony, so it may not be anything to worry about.

2. How about cutting it down to 3/4 BAB and reducing weapon proficiency to all simple weapons, handaxes, battleaxes, throwing axes, greataxes, and greatclubs?  And cutting strength increases to levels 1 and 3?  Puts the Tharn on the level of a half-orc.

3. Would an increase by 5 be a reaonable amount (DC 20 + spell level)?  And yes, negative Charisma reduces the duration.

4.  Move Action.

5. Yes.  Also, the Tharn can "uppercut" an opponent into the air by moving a target several squares vertically.  Would this be too powerful due to falling damage?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:34:09 PM by Libertad »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 04:36:35 PM »
1. Does Chaos Frenzy stacks with Rage?
2. Full bab with full str increase with chaos frenzy and good proficiencies is too much. You'll have to cut something somewhere.
3. Why doesn't Cry of Pandemonium's DC increases? Spellcasters will be pumping their concentration like mad.
4. What's the action needed to make dificult terrain with Threatening Aura? And does a negative Cha mod reduces the duration?
5. Does Living Catapult still deals normal weapon damage to the target?

1. No.  Otherwise no sensible Tharn build wouldn't take a dip in the Barbarian class.

In fact, I feel that Chaos Frenzy is still too similar to Barbarian Rage, better even.  But the Barbarian's a Tier 4 and one-trick pony, so it may not be anything to worry about.

2. How about cutting it down to 3/4 BAB and reducing weapon proficiency to all simple weapons, handaxes, battleaxes, throwing axes, greataxes, and greatclubs?  And cutting strength increases to levels 1 and 3?  Puts the Tharn on the level of a half-orc.

3. Would an increase by 5 be a reaonable amount (DC 20 + spell level)?  And yes, negative Charisma reduces the duration.

4.  Move Action.

5. Yes.  Also, the Tharn can "uppercut" an opponent into the air by moving a target several squares vertically.  Would this be too powerful due to falling damage?
1 and 2.Sounds good.

3. I meant make the DC scale, something like 10+HD+Spell level.

4. Ok

5. Considering that falling damage isn't too much, and most creatures have ways of lessening it up, I don't mind "uppercusts", and also rule of cool purposes. Plus sending them up probably means not hiting its companions.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 05:40:06 PM »
Alright, just implemented the changes.  Now the Tharn's a lean, mean, fighting machine!

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »
Indeed it is, added to the list! Will watch over your other new monsters tommorrow, need sleep now...

Offline kurashu

• Tinker Mechanic Programmer Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:03:11 PM »
Not to nitpick, but you left the bit about strength increasing every level in the actual text. And I assume the HD portion of the DC for Cry of Pandemonium is the Tharn's HD, just to clarify?

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »
Not to nitpick, but you left the bit about strength increasing every level in the actual text. And I assume the HD portion of the DC for Cry of Pandemonium is the Tharn's HD, just to clarify?

Good catch!

And yes, the HD is the Tharn's hit die in the Cry ability.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 07:32:50 PM »
So with the Living Catapult ability, I feel like it might be better to make it at will and make it a Fort Save based off HD or a Bullrush maybe?
I don't know, my DM doesnt like that it automaticlly applies =P.
Im really bad at what I do.
A+

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 08:04:24 PM »
And I feel it should be a bit more limited in usage like how the Tharn's Chaos Frenzy is.
It no doubt takes a lot more effort than normal to suddenly deliver a 'homerun' out of nowhere. There's only so much incredulous activity one can do in a single day before needing to rest properly.

Similarly, Chaos Frenzy's 1/2 HD uses per day may as well be at-will by the time higher levels come around. That, too, could probably be brought down to an amount more similar to how often a Barbarian can Rage which is plenty enough times a day as well already.

In fact, Living Catapult could easily be something only usable when Chaos Frenzied. And if it is rather changed to an at-will thing, it definitely should be only applicable during Chaos Frenzy.

Offline TC X0 Lt 0X

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The TC Storywriter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 05:11:34 AM »
I can see that ya, or at least a lesser powered version for when non frenzy (like no prone and half push back).
Im really bad at what I do.
A+