Author Topic: Ghoul Touch - no save?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
Ghoul Touch - no save?
« on: June 21, 2013, 10:20:18 PM »
Does Ghoul Touch allow a Fort save to avoid being paralyzed?
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
 Spell Resistance: Yes

Imbuing you with negative energy, this spell allows you to paralyze a single living humanoid for the duration of the spell with a successful melee touch attack.

Additionally, the paralyzed subject exudes a carrion stench that causes all living creatures (except you) in a 10-foot-radius spread to become sickened (Fortitude negates). A neutralize poison spell removes the effect from a sickened creature, and creatures immune to poison are unaffected by the stench.

I could read this as the Fort save applies to both being paralzed or just to the stench.  I'm leaning toward yes, you get a fort save vs paralysis but I've seen others say otherwise.

FWIW, some spells like Flesh To Stone have the "Fortitude negates" stat line, but says nothing about it in the spell description.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoul Touch - no save?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:44:53 PM »
Does Ghoul Touch allow a Fort save to avoid being paralyzed?
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
 Spell Resistance: Yes

Imbuing you with negative energy, this spell allows you to paralyze a single living humanoid for the duration of the spell with a successful melee touch attack.

Additionally, the paralyzed subject exudes a carrion stench that causes all living creatures (except you) in a 10-foot-radius spread to become sickened (Fortitude negates). A neutralize poison spell removes the effect from a sickened creature, and creatures immune to poison are unaffected by the stench.

I could read this as the Fort save applies to both being paralzed or just to the stench.  I'm leaning toward yes, you get a fort save vs paralysis but I've seen others say otherwise.

FWIW, some spells like Flesh To Stone have the "Fortitude negates" stat line, but says nothing about it in the spell description.
It sounds like paralyze, no save, but I don't know for sure.

Offline NunoM

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoul Touch - no save?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Yes, "Ghoul Touch" allows a saving throw to avoid being paralyzed.

The "Saving Throw" entry in the spell description usually refers to the main effect of the spell, unless mentioned otherwise. If only part of the spell were to be negated, there would be a text like "Fortitude (partial)", or something. The rest of the text handles the additional effects, if any. For example (i just opened the PHB randomly): "Bane"...

In the case of "Ghoul Touch" i'd say the target should do 2 Fort saving throws: the 1st to avoid the spell effects altogether, the 2nd to avoid being sickened.

EDIT: typo
EDIT 2: The general rule for STs can be found in PHB p.176-177
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 10:57:38 PM by NunoM »