Author Topic: Craft Construct at 5th level?  (Read 2523 times)

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
Craft Construct at 5th level?
« on: November 03, 2019, 01:43:54 AM »
There's a chance I'll be starting a new game in a couple of weeks.  I'm wondering if there's anyway to get the feat Craft Construct at 5th level.

The prereqs are caster level 5th, Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms & Armor.

The problem is that Craft Magic Arms & Armor also has the prereq caster level 5th.  So even if I can get a feat at 5th level (such as by the wizard's free feat), I have to take CMAA before I take CC.

Artificier isn't allowed.

Any ideas?  Not a big deal if I have to wait till my generic 6th level feat since constructs can be a bit pricey.  But I'd still like to know :)

Offline Samwise

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Craft Construct at 5th level?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 06:11:33 PM »
Can you slip a PFRPG feat in?

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/item-creation-feats/craft-poppet-item-creation/

"You are treated as having both Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Craft Wondrous Item for the purpose of fulfilling the prerequisites for Craft Construct."

Not that poppets are particularly awesome except to replace extradimensional spaces for looting when you augment them a bit, but a sane DM would ban it just for that prereq twofer. (Not that I am any paragon of sanity or anything.)

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 06:58:46 PM »
Poppets look interesting and would let me start crafting constructs a lot sooner.  Much better than the arms and armor that don't interest me at all for this character.  Thanks.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 11:45:54 PM »
Might have another lead.  A 4th level Binder can bind Astaroth http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a which gives the Master Craftsman ability

Master Craftsman: While bound to Astaroth, you gain a +4 competence bonus on all Craft checks. In addition, each time you bind with Astaroth, you may select one item creation feat as a temporary bonus feat. So long as you continue to bind with Astaroth, you may use that feat as though you possessed it normally; you must still spend all standard gold and XP for any item you create, and you must still provide all necessary spells for a given item.

Alas, I still run into the same problem of needing Craft Arms & Armor before Craft Construct.  Is there a way/magic item of binding a vestige without actually taking levels in binder?

Edit: oops, I read too quickly.  I think I need to be 7th level, not 4th to bind a 4th level vestige.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 11:59:27 PM by kitep »

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 12:12:57 AM »
Is there a way/magic item of binding a vestige without actually taking levels in binder?

So close to getting there through feats:  Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige, Improved Binding.
The problem is that Astaroth is from Dragon Magazine and is not listed on table 1-9, thus you don't know which "one power" you get from him.  But I doubt it would be the one I want.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:20:24 AM by kitep »

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 05:08:58 AM »
Is there a way/magic item of binding a vestige without actually taking levels in binder?

So close to getting there through feats:  Bind Vestige, Improved Bind Vestige, Improved Binding.
The problem is that Astaroth is from Dragon Magazine and is not listed on table 1-9, thus you don't know which "one power" you get from him.  But I doubt it would be the one I want.
Small nitpick, but Astaroth is from the Wizards website, not Dragon Magazine.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."