Author Topic: Do you lose your prestige class features when you no longer meet its requirement  (Read 1291 times)

Offline gL!tcH

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Currently playing a Ranger 2/fighter 2/ Cavestalker 4 (Drow of the Underdark variant, p. 68)
under the special section of the class requirements, it states "Special: The candidate must have natural darkvision..."

If i were to become a dragonborn (wings)  and lose said natural darkvision from my race, would i lose my prestige class features?

Specifically the Exotic Combat Style.

Thanks

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
RAW: Yes.

A character who no longer meets the requirements of his prestige class not only can’t advance any further in that class, but he also “loses the benefit of any class features or other special abilities granted by the class.” (CW 16) You retain Hit Dice (and the hit points derived from), base attack bonus, and base save bonuses granted by the prestige class.

RAI: Unknown

The DMG only requires you to meet the prerequisites to take the first level, and one could argue that the CW updated text is "specific to that book's prcs", but the FAQ (for all its flaws) supports the raw, which is the closest we ever got to a RAI statement.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
RAW, I'd say yes, you lose your prestige class powers.

The whole cavestalker class seems to be about making your way easy through deep dark dungeons, so it seems natural you'd need darkvision or some way to see in the dark.  But I would ask the DM if it has to be "natural darkvision", or if a spell or magic item would be good enough.

Good luck!

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
While it's not *strictly* RAW, it's also reasonable to say that if a PrC itself causes you to fail to meet its own prerequisites, you still maintain the benefits (such as Dragon Disciple 10).
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline gL!tcH

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Haha.... thanks, that clears it up  :)