Author Topic: Circle Magic for Fully Spontaneous Casters & Spell Level Storage  (Read 701 times)

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
Greetings, all!

Circle Magic - from Red Wizard, Halruaan Elder, and Hathran - is used to increase caster level to 40 (for 24 hours), and apply Heighten Spell (max spell level of 20!), Empower, and Maximize to qualifying spells, even if none of the Circle members have these metamagics.  (The effects of Circle Magic normally last 24 hours or until used, whichever happens first.)  I understand and agree with the notion that a fully prepared caster like a Wizard or Cleric who can lead a Circle could bank a buncha spell levels from his spell donors and apply Empower/Heighten/Maximize to his prepared spells, then just sleep/reapply Circle Magic to boost all his spells with Heighten (L20), Empower, and Maximize since these spells remain prepared until spent or forcibly removed somehow.

What about for purely spontaneous casters like Bards and Sors?  (Let's assume these characters lack all means of preparing spells, meaning no Arcane Preparation, etc.)  I assumed each spell slot was simply 'potential energy' that became filled with a specific legal spell at cast time.  Thus, a Sor/Hathran with wings of flurry as a level 4 spell known can apply the effects of Circle Magic at cast time, but not bank its metamagics like a Wizard could, even if wings of flurry is this character's only level 4 spell known.  (Remember, at cast time, this character could cast a lower level spell via this level 4 slot.)

This matters because I intend to play a Sor/Hathran in a game where Circle Magic is allowed and I want to know the RAW on this.

Thankee!

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
Re: Circle Magic for Fully Spontaneous Casters & Spell Level Storage
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 12:13:21 PM »
As a circle participant, only prepared spells can be consumed for circle magic. Spontaneous casters can only benefit from caster level adjustment and level check adjustment. Metamagic can only be applied to prepared spells.