Author Topic: TOB - Initiator Level  (Read 1975 times)

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
TOB - Initiator Level
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:31:10 AM »
When computing initiator level, how does level adjustment and racial hit die figure in?

TOB, p39, seems to alternate between "class level", which I assume means ECL, and "levels in classes taken", which I assume means don't count LA.

2 characters in particular:

A half-celestial human (LA+4) with 2 levels of the NPC Warrior Class, ECL=6, initiator level = ???  (I'm guessing 3 = 6/2)
A pseudodragon (LA+3, racial HD 2), 1 level of NPC Adept, ECL=6, initiator level = ???  (again, I'm guessing 3)

Thanks.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: TOB - Initiator Level
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:46:38 AM »
Class level wouldn't count as Effective Character Level.  They're explicitly referring to character classes with that.

Because they keep referring to classes, I'm inclined to believe they don't want LA to count for initiator level calculations.  Thus the half-celestial human Warrior 2 would have an initiator level of 1.

Racial hit dice is a funny one because it's possible to take levels in creature classes.  From the looks of things I don't think they meant that though.  It really does look like they meant character classes such as barbarian et al.  A reason for this is if a dragon or other high-HD creature took a single level in a martial adept class and got 9th level maneuvers, things would go out of whack.  It looks like the initiator level for that pseudodragon adept would be 1/2.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »
LA does not count for determining IL.  All HD (racial or class) do.

So, the Half Celestial Human Warrior would have an IL of 1.

The Pseudodragon would also have an IL of 1, but when he gains another class level, it jumps to 2.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »
Snakeman is correct - racial HD count as class levels, Level Adjustments do not.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »
Coolio.  Thanks guys.