Author Topic: Scrolls and Duskblade Channeling  (Read 2001 times)

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
Scrolls and Duskblade Channeling
« on: February 27, 2013, 01:33:18 AM »
Can a duskblade cast a spell from a scroll and use it with his channeling ability?
If yes, then how about from a wand?
For both cases, assume the spell is on his spell list, though it may or may not be a spell known.

Offline NunoM

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
Re: Scrolls and Duskblade Channeling
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 02:06:20 PM »
As per the Duskblade's description of the "Arcane Channelling" ability:
Quote from: PHB2 p.20
Arcane Channeling (Su):
Beginning at 3rd level, you can use a standard action to cast any touch spell you know and deliver the spell through your weapon with a melee attack[...]
(emphasis mine)

For spells the character doesn't know, this is a definite "no". However, for scroll/wand spells that are also in the character's spell known list, i believe this would be possible.

I'm not sure how the item activation rules apply on this, but you're not simply casting a spell, so it probably causes AoOs.
Also, in the case of scrolls, you still need a free hand to provide the somatic/material components for the spell completion. Unless it's a spell w/o somatic/material components, it could be hard to do with a weapon in hand (there are some feats for that).

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 07:42:48 PM »
Thanks.  Good to have a second opinion.

I'm not sure how the item activation rules apply on this, but you're not simply casting a spell, so it probably causes AoOs.
Also, in the case of scrolls, you still need a free hand to provide the somatic/material components for the spell completion. Unless it's a spell w/o somatic/material components, it could be hard to do with a weapon in hand (there are some feats for that).

IIRC, scrolls and wands are created with the somatic/material components built in, so you don't need those.  But reading a scroll still provokes an AOO, using a wand does not.

Using a scroll/wand does require a hand, so that will be a problem for my duskblade wielding a greatsword with both hands.  Off to look up wand chamber...

Offline NunoM

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:54:23 PM »
IIRC, scrolls and wands are created with the somatic/material components built in, so you don't need those.  But reading a scroll still provokes an AOO, using a wand does not.

Thanks for the heads-up! I was reading the general rules for Spell Completion Items... my mistake.

Using a scroll/wand does require a hand, so that will be a problem for my duskblade wielding a greatsword with both hands.  Off to look up wand chamber...
A little bit on this... One of the items i have in the shopping list for my own duskblade are the "Casting Gloves" (MIC, p.84) for 20k. They're expensive for low-mid level, but allow you to use/consume an item stored in them as if you're holding it. That includes wands and metamagic rods, for example. I'm not sure about scrolls, though, since you can't actually read it.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 10:30:43 PM »
I read about those gloves too when I was picking items.  Thought they were pretty cool.  Stuff your pack with wands and scrolls (or maybe get a Quiver of Ehlonna or Portable Hole and pack a few staffs), and you can shoot soooo many spells out of your hands.  My imagination ran wild for a while.

Alas, I only have 10k to spend, so I can't get them.

Rereading it, I see it also works with potions.  But it might not work with scrolls.

Offline kitep

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lookout World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:36:22 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up! I was reading the general rules for Spell Completion Items... my mistake.

Mine too.  I was thinking there was no Somatic required when reading from a scroll.  Reading your link and the part in the DMG says no such thing for spell completion (ie, they DO require the somatic part).  They just don't require the material components.