Author Topic: [PF] Master of Many Style/Scout Ninja Build thoughts  (Read 2259 times)

Offline WeMustBeMAD

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
[PF] Master of Many Style/Scout Ninja Build thoughts
« on: January 13, 2016, 03:10:41 AM »
Hi. I haven't posted here in a couple of... very long times, but I was wondering at your thoughts on a rough build I have in mind. For the past year or so, my group has been playing 5e. We're about to wrap up Tyranny of Dragons, and our DM wants to move back to Pathfinder for more "crunch," dissatisfied with some of the ambiguity of the 5e system. (I could care less. As long as I'm roleplaying, I'm happy.)

I'll most likely end up going the Life Oracle/Hospitaler Paladin route, but in case one of our other players goes cleric, I'm thinking the Qinggong Master of Many Styles Monk and Scout Ninja.

Stats will be rolled, so no idea what they'll be, but the highest ones will go to WIS, DEX and CON. I'm planning on getting an Amulet of Mighty Fists with the Guided property. I have yet to figure out what traits to take. So here goes: (please forgive my lack of formatting)

Svirfneblin, small, -2 STR, +2 Dex, +2 WIS, -4 CHA

Monk 1 -Improve Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Bonus Style Feat - Panther Style, 1st level feat - Combat Reflexes
Monk 2 - Bonus Style Feat - Panther Parry
Monk 3 - Snake Style
Monk 4 - Ki Pool (4th level ki ability to be determined)
Monk 5 - Combat Expertise
Monk 6 - Bonus Style feat - Snake Fang, (6th level ki ability to be determined)
Ninja 1- Improved Trip, Sneak Attack 1d6
Ninja 2 - Ninja Trick - Style Feat - Wolf Style
Ninja 3 - Greater Trip, Sneak Attack 2d6
Ninja 4 - Ninja Trick - Fast Stealth
Monk 7 - Vicious Stomp
Monk 8 - (8th level ki ability to be determined)
Ninja 5 - Panther Claw, Sneak Attack 3d6
Ninja 6 - Ninja Trick - Combat Feat - Kobold Style
Ninja 7 - Kobold Groundling, Sneak Attack 4d6
Ninja 8-12 ???

Essentially, the character relies heavily on attack of opportunities and Sneak Attack. I know going human would have been a better choice, to gain Weapon Finesse at first level or rely more on STR, but then I wouldn't be able to use Kobold Style or Kobold Groundling (must be small). The svirfneblin boosts DEX and WIS, and dumps two unnecessary stats for the build. At Ninja level 10, I would take Unarmed Combat Mastery as my Advanced Ninja Trick to boost my unarmed combat, probably using a Monk's Robe to max it out. Mobility would be useful for this build also, to help Snake Fang, but in early levels there's no room, and at later levels I don't think it's going to matter with magic items available.

I imagine an encounter going something like this:

Round 1 - Charge into opponent with an unarmed strike, dealing Sneak Attack damage as per the Scout.

Round 2 - Move through opponent's space, provoking attack of opportunity. Using Panther Style chain, make a free (panther Claw) preemptive (Panther Parry) retaliatory strike before the opponent gets that AoO. Once it does, it takes a -2 to attack and damage (Panther Parry). If it hits, I can take an immediate action to make a Sense Motive check with a +2, using the result in place of my AC (Snake Style). If it misses, I can make an AoO. If that hits, I can take an immediate action to make another unarmed strike (Snake Fang). I know you're only allowed one immediate/swift action a round, so hopefully I won't have to use Snake Style all that often.

But wait, there's more! Here's where Wolf Style comes in. (As an 8th level Master of Many Styles, I can have 3 styles active at once, with only a swift action to switch styles.) If I manage to damage my opponent with an AoO for at least 10 points, its speed is reduced 5 feet. For every 5 points of damage above that, its speed is reduced another 5 feet. If its speed is reduced up to or beyond the remaining number of feet it can move on its turn, I get a FREE trip attempt. Enter Greater Trip, giving me an AoO if I successfully trip it. Aaaaand then Vicious Stomp, letting me take an AoO on a prone opponent with loads of Sneak Attack. From what I've read, these AoOs can all be made since the triggering events are different.

Round 3 - I use my swift action to switch one style to the Kobold Style chain, denying prone opponents their DEX to AC against my attacks (Kobold Groundling). Opponent tries to stand, rinse, repeat.

As a small creature, my trip attempts will be limited by my opponent's size, but with the amount of AoOs available and utilizing Sneak Attack with flanking, moving and sneaking, I'm unconcerned about remaining a viable combatant.

I don't think my DM will let me do this. It's pretty abusive of free actions. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
Re: [PF] Master of Many Style/Scout Ninja Build thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 07:00:39 AM »
I don't see Weapon Finesse on the posted build.

I'm not too up on Pathfinder, and I wouldn't put it past those boobs to have messed things up, but order of operations means you can't chain trip someone with AoOs.  They start to stand, your AoO interrupts while they're still prone, the standing action actually resolves.  Not sure if that's what you were going for, or just sneak attacking them when they're down.