Author Topic: What's the most ridiculous thing you can do with a giant caster level?  (Read 43803 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
If only they still had bouncing rogues... you could catapult one to another planet.

??????????

Evasion used to move you out of the area of effect of a spell.

The Kobold Rogue sub level still does that (sort of).

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
I knew evasion used to do that, back when the opponent was able to use Bag o' Rats, I'd just never heard it described as a "bouncing rogue".

Explosive spell, on the other hand......
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
If only they still had bouncing rogues... you could catapult one to another planet.

??????????

Evasion used to move you out of the area of effect of a spell.

The Kobold Rogue sub level still does that (sort of).

Maybe a kobold rogue version of Chuck could do it...
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline JohnnyMayHymn

• Former Lord of the Kitchen Sink
    • View Profile
1.  If you have that sort of CL and are not immortal, you are doing it wrong.

2.  If you are going around, blasting that Shadow Miracle shit all over the place forever, it would be foolish to say that none of your spells will ever become a living spell. (MMIII / ECS)

3.  Such a spell would be a Huge Ooze with (20 * 1.5^28790) d10 HD (with poor saves) ... and (20 * 1.5^28790) + 10 SR.  Oh right, and a creature that is hit by it's slam attack is subject to the spell or spells that the thing is made up of.  Ya' know, the old one-two damned Shadow Miracle punch.  The thing is.. it's mindless, are the effects randomized from what a Shadow Miracle could do?  Does it repeatedly slam attack poor woodland creatures with whatever you originally chose for the Shadow Miracle to do that it egregiously spawned from?
(click to show/hide)

4.  Don't even think about using Awaken Ooze (Dragon 304), that is unless you can succeed on a DC (10 + 20 * 1.5^28790) will save.  Please, someone prove me wrong here.

5.  ...Amulet of Ooze Riding (AE&G 85)  :shrug

EDIT: could we Genesis / engineer ourselves a plane which would have ideal conditions both for a Living Shadow Miracle to spawn (ie really fast time etc...), but also with enough critters everywhere for it to slam attack randomized Shadow Miracles just about every round?
EDIT: On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:24:17 PM by JohnnyMayHymn »
The Emperor
Can you find the Wumpus?

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
3.  Such a spell would be a Huge Ooze with (20 * 1.5^28790) d10 HD (with poor saves) ... and (20 * 1.5^28790) + 10 SR.  Oh right, and a creature that is hit by it's slam attack is subject to the spell or spells that the thing is made up of.  Ya' know, the old one-two damned Shadow Miracle punch.  The thing is.. it's mindless, are the effects randomized from what a Shadow Miracle could do?  Does it repeatedly slam attack poor woodland creatures with whatever you originally chose for the Shadow Miracle to do that it egregiously spawned from?
(click to show/hide)
4.  Don't even think about using Awaken Ooze (Dragon 304), that is unless you can succeed on a DC (10 + 20 * 1.5^28790) will save.  Please, someone prove me wrong here.

(3) If you spawn such a monstrosity, you can easily kill it. Arcane Fusion > Assay Spell Resistance > Shadow Miracle (RoS'ed damage spell of choice) w/ Greater Rod of Maximize. If it has some effect that you do not desire, you would of course kill it. Hell, just kill it anyway, better to be safe, and it's not like it really takes you any effort.
(4) Why would you want to awaken this thing anyway? That sounds like giving Shoggoth's intelligence. They'd just use it to go after that which spawned them, since that is the only thing they'd have any reason to fear. That said, a Reserves of Strength MoP would grant an insight bonus to one saving throw = to CL. Of course, it you are playing with the D20 showing 20 = auto success basic rule, then Surge of Fortune is all you need.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Halinn

• Legendary Member
  • My personal text is impersonal.
    • View Profile
Owl's insight won't do it, but it does get your wisdom to a fairly ridiculous level. You could just try to roll a 20 for autosuccess.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
Owl's insight won't do it, but it does get your wisdom to a fairly ridiculous level. You could just try to roll a 20 for autosuccess.

Try?!?!
Surge of Fortune
Choose Destiny
Alter Fortune

A Fullcaster does not need to "try", he merely does or does not.

In YBIYBI, always assume he does (Rule the Universe).
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
The wild Muk used Metronome!

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Just Amulet of Second Chances to kill it the same round :P
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile

Timeline:
You cast spell > Spell becomes living ooze > You use Amulet, which resets time to: ↵
There is no ooze to kill yet.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile

Timeline:
You cast spell > Spell becomes living ooze > You use Amulet, which resets time to: ↵
There is no ooze to kill yet.

Yeah, a way to avoid loosing that chaos ooze beast on the universe
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
plot hook.... 'keep this amulet safe, if it breaks we all die'  :lol
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
FYI, one of the options for Fire Seeds has no CL cap.

Holly Berry Bombs

You turn as many as eight holly berries into special bombs. The holly berries are usually placed by hand, since they are too light to make effective thrown weapons (they can be tossed only 5 feet). If you are within 200 feet and speak a word of command, each berry instantly bursts into flame, causing 1d8 points of fire damage +1 point per caster level to every creature in a 5-foot radius burst and igniting any combustible materials within 5 feet. A creature in the area that makes a successful Reflex saving throw takes only half damage.

My Hathran Druids can get 8 holly berry bombs that each deal 1d8+40 fire damage.  Oh, but it's empowered, so it's (1d8*1.5)+60 damage. Times eight.

I'm sure your Nifty caster level could get some nice fire damage too.  Put searing spell on it (whatever that sandstorm feat is) to overcome resistance/immunity.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
Who cares about caps?  We're already using Reserves of Strength in its most favorable interpretation, so why don't we just go all out and do a Reserves of Strength manyjaws?

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
My kitty avatar does not like Shoggoth
...  :pout ... nor an awakened Shoggoth.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: What's the most ridiculous thing you can do with a giant caster level?
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2012, 07:55:21 PM »
Just for fun, there is always the good ol' Reserves of Strength'd Magic Missile, for way too many missiles, dood.

Hunter's Eye so that your touch kills someone really hard?

Make the entire universe winter for a couple of weeks?
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Cyclone Joker

• Flamboyant Flamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2012, 11:21:09 AM »
Sorry, but this doesn't work for two reasons. One, you cannot Shadow Illusion a Miracle. Sorry, it just doesn't work. Miracle is not a Sorcerer/Wizard spell any more than Righteous Might is a Wizard spell for a Mystic Theurge, or Charm Person is a telepathy power for a Cerebremancer.

Even if it did work, Arcane Thesis specifically doesn't work with Heighten, and, since Heighten raises the actual level, so without Incantatrix 10, I am not seeing how you get 6th level Miracles. Oh, and you can't use rods because you can't use them on 10th level spells(Specifically 9 or lower), which your Images have to be to be Miracles.

Sorry, dude. It's a really cool trick, but it doesn't work.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »
Sorry, but this doesn't work for two reasons. One, you cannot Shadow Illusion a Miracle. Sorry, it just doesn't work. Miracle is not a Sorcerer/Wizard spell any more than Righteous Might is a Wizard spell for a Mystic Theurge, or Charm Person is a telepathy power for a Cerebremancer.
Arcane Disciple: Luck adds Miracle to your spell list.  You are a wizard; for you, your spell list is the wizard spell list.  There are some DMs that don't like this and don't allow it, but that's irrelevant on this board.

Even if it did work, Arcane Thesis specifically doesn't work with Heighten, and, since Heighten raises the actual level, so without Incantatrix 10, I am not seeing how you get 6th level Miracles. Oh, and you can't use rods because you can't use them on 10th level spells(Specifically 9 or lower), which your Images have to be to be Miracles.
Arcane Thesis is not touching Heighten.  Arcane Thesis is touching other stuff.  And, I'm not using a rod on the Shadow Miracles.

Sorry, dude. It's a really cool trick, but it doesn't work.
It does, actually:

To emulate a spell of level X requires a silent image of level X+1.
Sanctum Spell adds +1 level for -1 level (due to Arcane Thesis) --> Level X–1.
Earth Spell + Heighten Spell + Easy Metamagic (Heighten Spell) --> Level X–3.
Invisible Spell + Arcane Thesis (if used) --> Level X-4.

Therefore, you can cast a Shadow Miracle off of a 5th-level slot.

Offline Cyclone Joker

• Flamboyant Flamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
Nope. Arcane Disciple does not do that. It adds it to YOUR class list, not THE class list, unless you are going to assert that you having a buddy playing Warmage 1/Rainbow Servant 10/PrC bard 1/PrC Paladin 1/PrC Ranger 1/Sandshaper 1/Divine Oracle 1/Church Inquisitor 1/someotherexpandedlistclasses X would give ALL warmages access to those spells, and that any wizard can now scribe Miracle because someone took that feat. Nope, sorry, but it doesn't work.

Also, you don't apply Sanctum Spell to a spell, so Arcane Thesis doesn't apply.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2012, 01:28:33 PM »
When adding a spell to your spell list, you treat it for all intents and purposes as if it were spells from your class list; in other words, as far as that Warmage is concerned, all those spells are on the Warmage spell list. Full stop.

And another Wizard could learn miracle from a scroll that you scribed with Miracle on it; it is a Wizard spell at that point, after all.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."