Author Topic: Ch. 1 What is a hero?  (Read 22650 times)

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
Ch. 1 What is a hero?
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:55:53 AM »
It started as a perfectly normal day.  Police sirens moving about, business men and women moving to and fro, food vendors yelling at the top of their lungs, trying to get you to buy their delicious, delicious, slop.  The city of Megalopolis is buzzing, from the academic district where MU (nicknamed μ u) houses the next generation's best and brightest, to the eternally churning industrial district (located on the southeastern border of town) which is literally churning with industrial activity as supervisors watch over the robotic arms and steel machinations performing the labor of tens of men.

But your concern is neither with the Depression of Young Literati, nor with the Foundation of the city's exported products.  Instead, the camera slowly pans down on what could be politically described as an eclectic group of individuals both young and old.  Kids toting superhero dolls buzz around the crowd making woooosh noises.  Adults in clothing both mild and Spicy mannered clothing gather in the throng as well.  But a third class of citizen is also peppered among them.  Superheroes.  The city of Megalopolis, Megarcadia is proud of its heroic population, and while the times have been especially tough due to strained relations between heroes, villains, and civilians, for now, the heroes and civilians are gathered together like the good old days.  Heroes in costume are greeted with cheers from those that they have rescued, and for the particularly popular ones, such as Lieutenant Larry, who have truly held the spotlight on their actions, masses of children impede all movement. 

The crowd was gathered by the mayor for an announcement.  The entire place is buzzing about what it could possibly be. 

The Mayor, an elderly man who was most likely on his last years of office and life,  walked onto the stage.  He was a man whose years showed.  He wore a monocle and top hat and walked with a cane and a limp.  The Mayor ascends onto the stage and reaches the microphone.  As he always does when speaking in front of any crowd, he straightens his coat, adjusts his hat, and clears his throat loudly into the microphone, getting everyone's attention.  And, as he always does, he addresses the audience, saying,

"I'm sure you are all wondering why I've called you here today."

However, unlike other days, every soul in the crowd was unaware of what this meeting was to be about.  The mayor seemed urgent in his notice of the meeting saying that all heroes who are not absolutely incapable of movement (this was meant, primarily, to absolve Clyde, who was watching the meeting on a monitor of the TV store across the street from where he stood, immobile.

"As I'm sure you are all aware of, bill seven one oh two oh one, also known as the self-defense act has been in effect for some time now."

A dull roar rose over the crowd as people began discussing what had been more commonly called 'the anti-superhero bill' while it was being lobbied through the house and senate.

The mayor cleared his throat again

"As all of you may or may not know, many cities have been asked to take part in a..."  The mayor seems to be struggling with the wording.  "Beta testing of a new form of defense."

Before the crowd has a chance to go crazy with discussion, the mayor quickly adds: "Please, everyone, welcome Roland"

What at first seems like some sort of humanoid pillbox walks onto the stage.  A voice, still very far away from the uncanny valley played out loud, as if from a megaphone.

"HELLO.  I AM UNIT R ZERO ONE A N D.  MY MANUFACTURER BESTOWED THE ALTERNATE CLASSIFICATION 'ROLAND' UPON ME.  I AM HERE TO PROTECT AND DEFEND THIS CITY."

The crowd is roaring before the robot even finishes its sentence.  Cries of "How is a robot better than a super." and "awwww, how cute" and even "What're we gonna do with a robot?" are heard piercing the din of everyone speaking.

The Mayor announces with a voice that he hasn't used in years.

"NOW LISTEN!  I will be the first to say that I am proud of this cities heroes, but our city has been selected to house one of these robots.  This does not mean that I will be eliminating superheroes from this city.  Nor is Roland the Harbinger of Ill portent.  We have been asked to receive him.  And he will be assisting local authorities as well as our super heroes in their fighting against crime.  I will remind you that Roland is here on FEDERAL business.  Please, treat him with respect.  I have called this meeting to both inform you of Roland's presence and to allow each of my city's finest as well as it's citizens to interact with Roland before he goes on duty tomorrow.  If you would like to Speak with Roland, he will be here in front of City hall until this evening."

The mayor steps away from the podium and stands next to Roland.

The news copter switches off of it's feed as a one man storm of reporter rushes up to the mayor along with many other heroes and civilians.

Among the crowd of people are three young girls.  The Three young girls collectively spot the Swiss Army Man, along with a few others of the 'older' heroes.  People who have been at it from the beginning.

A well dressed man, answering the call for all heroes, is also present.  He sees Swiss Army Man, a friend, and several other heroes littered around.

It's 7 PM on a Friday.
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
Re: Ch. 1 What is a hero?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:51:34 AM »
Quote from: Internal Dialogue
Huh.  Interesting.  A robot?  That's definitely unexpected...

...and definitely silly.

Shut up, Funnyman.

Look, I'm just saying.  Little thing looks like a volleyball.

And I know for a fact that you've flown across town in nothing but a diaper, waving a bow and arrow.

Yeah, but that's classy.  Also, we should say hello to Swiss Army Man.

Out of costume?  He won't recognize us.

Well, we could get in costume.

In front of all these people?!

Oh, go find a phone booth or something.

I slink off quietly, looking for somewhere hidden to change into costume.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:55:08 AM »
The major advantage of being in this particular crowd is that it is easy enough to slink into a back street with noone around.  If you prefer even more privacy, there is a construction site down half a block and they should have a portoco
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 03:01:15 AM »
I duck into a back street and, after checking that nobody is around, I close my eyes and let out a long breath.  Suddenly, my body is replaced by a cartoonish tornado that whirls around the street, throwing papers and dust into the air.  When the dust finally clears, the capering crusader stands tall.

"Good morning, America!" I crow"Time to mingle with the adoring public!"

And say hello to Swiss Army Man, right?

Yeah, sure, that, too.

...I'm going to regret this, aren't I?

Possibly, yes.

With fitting music emanating from the air around me, I saunter back into the public eye.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Legendary Member
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 12:04:48 PM »
The Three Little Girls talk amongst each other excitedly.

Lachrymarum: Wow!  Roland is cute~  That robot is cute~
Tenebarum: I know~  He's so cute~
Lachrymarum: So cute~  Lets go talk to him!  Lets go talk to him!
Tenebarum: Yeah!  Lets go talk to Roland~
Suspiriorum: Shouldn't we go talk to Swiss Army Man first?
Lachrymarum: Huh?  Swiss Army Man is here?  Lets go talk to him!
Suspiriorum: Wait, weren't you just talking about Roland?
Tenebarum: Lets talk to Swiss Man!
Lachrymarum: Lets talk to Swiss Man!
Suspiriorum: Wait, wait-
Tenebarum: Don't be a downer Suspiriorum!  Lets go talk to Swiss Man~
Lachrymarum: Swiss Man~ Swiss Man~

In an excited and not-completely-straightforward manner, the Little Girls head over to Swiss Army Man.

Edit: Fixed spelling of Lachrymarum's name.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:33:04 PM by Hanako Tachibana »
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please wait warmly until it is ready.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 05:04:49 PM »
Seriously, say hello to Swiss Army Man.

I will, I will.  Just let me--

No, leave the women alone.  Say hello to him first, or else you're going to spend your whole half-hour chattering senselessly.

I never get to have any fun.

Says the man who routinely defeats villains with bad puns.

My puns are glorious.

Look, there he is.  You wanted to say hello, here's your chance.

All right, all right.

I mosey on over to Swiss Army Man and give him a friendly wave.  "How's tricks, Elsener?"

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 05:24:44 PM »
The three girls travel non-linearly towards their target of Swiss Army Man.  He smiles down at them and salutes, he always had some time for a friendly chat. 

"Why, hello there little witches.  How are you today?"  He smiles at you, but he seems a little distracted.

"Crazy eh?"

(click to show/hide)
Magic do what you will

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Legendary Member
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »
Tenebarum et al: Hello~
Tenebarum: I'm good!
Suspiriorum: I'm good!
Lachrymarum: I'm good~  How are you?
Tenebarum: How are you?
Suspiriorum: What do you think of Roland?
Lachrymarum: Isn't he cute~
Tenebarum: He's cute, isn't he~
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please wait warmly until it is ready.

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 05:39:41 PM »
Swiss Army Man let out a loud chuckle, he counts off his fingers as he answers their questions.  "I am well; I'm doing fine; Roland seems like an interesting guy; I suppose he is a little cute if you look at him like that.  I heard through the grapevine A long vine extends from his closed fist, unraveling and revealing a small portable radio that these guys have been shipping all over the place.

Magic do what you will

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Legendary Member
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 05:47:31 PM »
Tenebarum: Lots of Rolands?
Lachrymarum: Our Roland is cuter!
Tenebarum: Yeah!  Cuter!
Lachrymarum: I hope all the Rolands doesn't mean there is going to be trouble... He is is a defense mechanism...
Suspiriorum: Don't worry so much.  You're always worrying.
Tenebarum: Yeah, things will be fine~  He's cute so its fine~
Lachrymarum: If you say so... Oh!
Suspiriorum: What have you been up to?
Tenebarum: We haven't seen you in a while~
Lachrymarum: We were getting lonely~
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:49:23 PM by Hanako Tachibana »

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »
Any distractions seem to have left the Swiss Army Man as he smiles down at the little witches. 

"I'm sure that this Roland fellow is going to turn out fine.  I doubt the government actually thinks there will be trouble.  I think that this might just be one of their preventative measures to try and get a better handle on the entire superhero and supervillain thing..."

"Oh, Funnyman, well met, how are you?"  He salutes.
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »
"Doin' well, Karl.  What do you make of this Roland fellow?"  My outfit suddenly changes to a blue dress over a white shirt, with a basket over my arm.  "Maybe they'll bring us a scarecrow and a lion next week."

My dress flashes into a red tuxedo over a black shirt and red bow-tie.  "Feh, we don't need no robots taking our jobs.  I give him maybe a week before The Drizzler rusts his bolts."

You know, Roland could make our lives a lot easier.

Or, he could malfunction and turn into the greatest villain the world has ever seen.  Haven't you ever seen a single superhero cartoon?

That's ridiculous.

You do know who you're talking to, right?

Point.

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Legendary Member
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 06:36:41 PM »
Tenebarum: Wow~ Your clothing changed!
Lachrymarum: Wow~ You're wearing a bow-tie!
Suspiriorum: Swiss Man, who is this?
Tenebarum: He said Funnyman, so it's Funnyman~  Hello Funnyman~
Lachrymarum: Hello Funnyman~
Suspiriorum: So, who are you?
Tenebarum: Don't you think Roland is cute?
Lachrymarum: He's cute~  Oh... but it didn't sound like you liked Roland...
Tenebarum: I'm sure he likes Roland~ Roland's cute~
Suspiriorum: You know, not everyone will think he is cute.
Tenebarum: Huh~ You don't think Roland is cute?
Suspiriorum: Wait, no-
Lachrymarum: No!  Why don't you think Roland is cute!  He's cute!
Suspiriorum: That's not-
Lachrymarum: You're mean~
Tenemarum: Mean~
Suspiriorum: Now look what you did.  Roland is cute, okay?
Tenebarum & Lachrymarum: Yay~  Cute~
Tenebarum: Suspiriorum thinks Roland is cute~
Lachrymarum: Suspiriorum is in love with Roland~
Suspiriorum: *blushes* Why you! *pulls Lachrymarum's ears*
Lachrymarum: Noo~ Let go of my ears!

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 06:40:27 PM »
Huh.  Munchkins.

"Karl, I didn't know you had kids."

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Legendary Member
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 06:48:34 PM »
Tenebarum: Karl?  Kids?  Swiss Man, are you our father?
Lachrymarum: My ears~
Tenebarum: Daddy!  Lachrymarum~ Suspiriorum~ Swiss Man is our daddy!  Say hello to daddy!
Lachrymarum: My ears~  Dad, make Suspiriorum stop~
Suspiriorum: I'm not going to stop until you take that back.
Tenebarum: Daddy, Suspiriorum is being mean to Lachrymarum~
Suspiriorum: If you keep this up, I'm going to be mean to you too.
Tenebarum: Noo~

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »
Swiss army man politely waits for an opening in the conversation, an action which has become his undoing.  What?  I don't have kids, I mean, wait, I do have a daughter but none of these girls are it.  Forgetting the natural order of question response, his hand is quickly upon Suspiriorum's shoulder.    Don't you think you should let go of her ears?  And you two, haven't you given her enough of a hard time already?  And, I'm not your father girls.  He quickly turns to Funnyman, almost resentful of his mistake and this entire confusion.  Beating a hasty tempo, he quickly blurts out.  I don't know about this roland fellow.  What with everything going on, but He's up there to talk to, and he seems cute- I mean friendly enough.
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 10:32:30 PM »
"Fair enough."  I wave at the three little girls.  "See you around, little ones."

I walk up to the diminutive automaton and clear my throat.

Don't you do it.

I'm gonna do it.

DON'T DO IT.

I'M 'A DO IT.

Suddenly clad in tunic and hose, I hold out my hand and declaim:

"Charles the great King, lord of the land of France,
Has fought beyond the hills for seven years,
And led his conquering host to the land's end.
There is but one of all the towns of Spain
Unshattered--grim Saragossa, mountain-girt,
Held by Marsila, King of Spain, of those
Who love not God and serve false gods of stone
Brought from the shores of Araby.--Hapless King!
Your hour is come, for all your gods of stone!"

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »
"Inquiry:  For what reason do you quote the Song of Roland to me?"
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 11:45:32 PM »
I kneel before the constructed champion, bending my head so that I might not behold his visage.

"Are you not Hruodland, greatest of Charlemagne's knights, bearer of Durendal?"

I hate you so much.

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Honorary Mod
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 11:47:39 PM »
"My civilian-friendly name is Roland  My model number is R 0 1 A N D"
Magic do what you will