Gaming Discussion > Other RPGs

Can we get a World/Chronicles of Darkness Thread up in here?

(1/12) > >>

Libertad:
For the times you want to play hot vampires without worrying about level adjustment and healing spells. And hot werewolves maybe, if that's your thing. I won't judge.

I first got into White Wolf stuff many years ago, but only started playing recently. Masquerade, specifically, although I own mostly New/Chronicles of Darkness books.

For those not in the know, to prevent confusion White Wolf (now known as Onyx Path Publishing) decided to rename the New World of Darkness series the Chronicles of Darkness. This was to better distinguish it from its Old World equivalents, as the newer games evolved into their own things.

In recent times the Classic/Old World books are being revamped with 20th Anniversary products, which collect a shitload of material across the game lines and metaplot to compile into big codexes. This is how I first got into Masquerade: via its 20th Anniversary book.

I'm also a big fan of Mage (New) and Hunter (New).

This is more a feeling out thread at first to see if Min-Maxers here are interested in such a thread. I figured a big generic thread would be best for this site, which is more or less 3.5/D20 focused. If anyone has conversation topics to start, we can do that.

Raineh Daze:
Well, I play it when I can. That's about my contribution to an empty thread. :P

Unbeliever:
Fan of the Old World's fluff, although I find their mechanics frustrating.  Vampire (Masquerade and Dark Ages) and Mage were my favorites, but I played them all and ran most of them.  Changeling the Dreaming irked me pretty regularly.  In some ways I enjoyed larp more:  the rules were lighter and more evocative, but it only really works for vampires since their abilities mostly involve social powers. 

Insert obligatory comment about Libertad being a whippersnapper given that he got into VtM with the V20 book ...

A lot of my massive fuckups as a GM -- and most of my GMing advice is based on said fuckups, I know what works only by a process of elimination it seems -- comes from running White Wolf games.  Although, the one thing I will say in my defense is that the games make absolutely no effort to make them runnable. 

Raineh Daze:
Yeah, the rules are a total mess. XP encourages dumping as many points into as few skills as possible at chargen and they still haven't fixed that.

Flaws are actually balanced if everyone takes them (and the GM remembers the 7-pt limit) and nobody is suicidal enough to pick Dark Fate or something, though. That's always weird.

Libertad:

--- Quote from: Raineh Daze on June 07, 2016, 08:27:05 PM ---1: Yeah, the rules are a total mess. XP encourages dumping as many points into as few skills as possible at chargen and they still haven't fixed that.

2: Flaws are actually balanced if everyone takes them (and the GM remembers the 7-pt limit) and nobody is suicidal enough to pick Dark Fate or something, though. That's always weird.

--- End quote ---

1: They did in Chronicles of Darkness! :P And they have a good dice system, too!

Which reminds me, there are Translation Guides for each of the 3 major game lines (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage) if you want to run Old World of Darkness elements in Chronicles and vice versa. A dude I played with about a year ago had a big "Masquerade with Requiem" document based off of this. I'll see later if I still have access to it.

2: A lot of flaws are role-playing based but given static point values. For example, Infertile Vitae might not be a flaw at all if you uphold the Traditions and not create a childe. Also, starting play as a Caitiff (14th/15th Generation) hugely under-priced at -2 and -4 points. For those not in the know, Caitiff are the least powerful generations of vampires, and in addition to having trouble progressing Disciplines (special vampire powers) they are villified among the Camarilla. So you have personal flaws of power progression and social stigma to go with it. Joy.

Also, there's a certain particular Flaw which I get the feeling was immensely popular for reasons I hope are obvious:

--- Quote ---Glowing Eyes (3pt. Flaw) You have the stereotypical glowing eyes of vampire legend, which gives you a -1 difficulty on Intimidation rolls when you’re dealing with mortals. However, the tradeoffs are many; you must constantly disguise your condition (no, contacts don’t cut it); the glow impairs your vision and puts you at +1 difficulty on all sightbased rolls (including the use of ranged weapons); and the radiance emanating from your eye sockets makes it difficult to hide (+2 difficulty to Stealth rolls) in the dark.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version