Handbooks & Resources > Handbook Discussion

Immortality: A Guide to Eternal Life discussion

<< < (2/8) > >>

Nanshork:

--- Quote from: nijineko on March 04, 2014, 05:20:10 PM ---i guess i should have asked the mods directly instead of posting the question and leaving it. oh well. thanks, nanshork.

--- End quote ---

No worries. :)

taltamir:
Thanks for the handbook.
I came across (an EXTREMELY awful) option for immortality that is pathfinder only
https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/soulbound-shell

Pros:
1. construct traits (except immunity to mind affecting)

Drawbacks:
1. While anyone with CL12+ qualifies, Only clerics, wizards, and witches may still cast spells afterwads
2. You lose the ability to change your spells known and spells prepared. As written, this also means that leveling up prevents you from getting access to higher level spells.

nijineko:

--- Quote from: taltamir on March 07, 2014, 12:38:33 PM ---Thanks for the handbook.
I came across (an EXTREMELY awful) option for immortality that is pathfinder only
https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/soulbound-shell

Pros:
1. construct traits (except immunity to mind affecting)

Drawbacks:
1. While anyone with CL12+ qualifies, Only clerics, wizards, and witches may still cast spells afterwads
2. You lose the ability to change your spells known and spells prepared. As written, this also means that leveling up prevents you from getting access to higher level spells.

--- End quote ---

lo and behold, the return of the 2e lich, pathfinder style.

taltamir:

--- Quote from: nijineko on March 08, 2014, 06:25:08 PM ---lo and behold, the return of the 2e lich, pathfinder style.

--- End quote ---
Now I am curious, what was the 2e lich like?

Also, how does one become a ghost? If you can just die and remain as a ghost with a +5 LA then it might be the ideal benchmark against which other forms of "immortality" are measures.

nijineko:

--- Quote from: taltamir on March 08, 2014, 07:11:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: nijineko on March 08, 2014, 06:25:08 PM ---lo and behold, the return of the 2e lich, pathfinder style.

--- End quote ---
Now I am curious, what was the 2e lich like?

Also, how does one become a ghost? If you can just die and remain as a ghost with a +5 LA then it might be the ideal benchmark against which other forms of "immortality" are measures.

--- End quote ---

one of the key traits of the 2e lich was that they could never learn spells again, which personally, makes sense to me for a corporeal undead creature. so wizards were always hesitant to take that final step, trying to beef up their spells before they committed to such a drastic measure.

becoming a ghost upon death requires DM cooperation. technically, whenever a character dies, they automatically become a ghost... but the bit about having a goal strong enough to remain in life, and taking one or more levels in the template, is what requires negotiation with the DM. personally, it is an option I always offer to my players. encourages better background development, or at least lets them finish out the current plot thread before switching characters - gives the players time to plan what to do next, too.

due to the adjusted rules on templates, the +5 LA doesn't have to all be applied at once, just the first +1 LA. besides, most definitions of "immortal" include "alive" as a prereq. ^^

=D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version