Author Topic: 【DND3.5e】Can I identify the metamagic of a spell being casting with spellcraft?  (Read 583 times)

Offline Quintaine

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
Can we identify the metamagic of a spell being casting with spellcraft?
My dms have a different opinion on this issue, I can't find a clear description in the RC. I wonder if there is a clear answer to this question(And the source of it), or it's not mentioned in the official rules, and totally determined by dm.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
I have found other discussions on the matter and as far as D&D 3.5 is concerned, the ability to identify metamagic applied to a spell does not exist within the rules of the system. As far as I can tell.

Pathfinder has a very obscure 3rd party book that includes this ability as an expanded usage of Knowledge checks, but that is it.

It is up to the DM how they want to handle it.

Offline Quintaine

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
I have found other discussions on the matter and as far as D&D 3.5 is concerned, the ability to identify metamagic applied to a spell does not exist within the rules of the system. As far as I can tell.

Pathfinder has a very obscure 3rd party book that includes this ability as an expanded usage of Knowledge checks, but that is it.

It is up to the DM how they want to handle it.
Thank u.

Offline Nanashi

• it means "he who has no name" in a foreign tongue.
    • View Profile
Pathfinder's Contagious Spell metamagic references identifying it. "A contagious spell can be identified normally" seems to imply, at least in Pathfinder for this one Metamagic, it was intended that you can identify metamagic as part of iding a spell (but Pathfinder content has a nasty habbit of assuming rules work in ways they absolutely don't. Not that it's unique to PF mind you: Every WotC writer missed how d20 Modern changed non-lethal damage and wrote it as though it were D&D 3E's system.).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 02:33:42 PM by Nanashi »

Offline Power

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Rolling a boulder up a hill
    • View Profile
Really, expect table variation here. Some GMs will regard metamagics as part of the spell being identified. Others won't. I personally lean towards the former.