Gaming Discussion > Gaming Advice

High level dungeon advice needed

(1/2) > >>

Braininthejar2:
So, I'm playing a mage in a 3.5 solo campaign, and I'm kind of BBEG there, seeking to usurp divine power (have been done in Krynn before)

Since gods can sense stuff about their portfolio  two weeks in advance, I need to defend the ritual site for two weeks, so I decided to build a dungeon of my own (the god in question can't intervene personally, but I'm expecting some high level mortal adventurers.)

How would you defend such a dungeon? I have some trap ideas that will get rid of low level attempts, but I need to defend myself from some high level shenanigans:
- people wishing themselves to the ritual site (or trying to wish me out)
- using teleportation / gaseous form to bypass all the traps
- digging/earthgliding in
- earthquaking the whole thing from the outside without even going in.

Pocket dimensions are out - I need to stay on the prime for this to work. What would you do?

ketaro:
Whats your level?

Epic or regular sub-20th?

How're you at crafting magic items?

Do you have leadership?

What is your budget?

Basically what are you on paper.

Braininthejar2:
I'm 16 now, but expect the campaign to end at early epics - I want to plan ahead.

On paper, I'm a mage geared towards transmutation and necromancy. I can do wonderous items and can commission other stuff.
I don't have leadership, but I am currently a duke - Let's say I can get a level 12 party if needed.

Money... my duchy is coming out of debt left by the previous guy, but I can do some adventuring to make more cash if needed. Recently I've been dabbling in exotic wares trade using long distance teleportation and in rare component hunting for other mages

Most importantly, I have a deal with a genie that grants me a wish once a year in return for epic tales of my adventures she can share in her master's court.

Jatmaj:
(Caveat: I wrote this before your previous replies, and so was not clear on what sort of resources you have or what sort of opposition you're expecting.)

It's very difficult to make a dungeon that will stop high-level adventurers - they're pretty much built to not be stopped by dungeons. My general line of thinking is that if you're in a position to attempt this, you're one of the highest level people around, so it might be better to focus on designing a dungeon that will put them in situations where you can fight them yourself, on advantageous terms. Ambush points, environmental damage you're immune to, and so on.

--- Quote from: Braininthejar2 on April 06, 2022, 07:32:08 PM ---- people wishing themselves to the ritual site (or trying to wish me out)
- using teleportation / gaseous form to bypass all the traps

--- End quote ---
Forbiddance and/or dimension lock is the obvious option for teleportation. I'd think they'd cover wishes as well, but unsure. Gaseous form is foiled by making things airtight, and/or environmental harm that bypasses the damage reduction from it. (Gaseous form moves pretty slow.)

--- Quote from: Braininthejar2 on April 06, 2022, 07:32:08 PM ---- digging/earthgliding in

--- End quote ---
Environmental hazards, contact poison inside the walls, burrowing monsters that can attack them while they're trying it? Antimagic fields that surround but don't reach into the dungeon? (I think there's a way to craft them as a trap, don't remember for sure.) Also, Walls of Force, if you can.

--- Quote from: Braininthejar2 on April 06, 2022, 07:32:08 PM ---- earthquaking the whole thing from the outside without even going in.

--- End quote ---
Have the ritual room more than 80 feet down so they can't  reach it with an earthquake from the surface. Also, Walls of Force, if you can.

Haven't looked into costs, so I'm not sure if this makes sense, but at the moment, one idea I'm imagining is that I might set up a ritual room - or an entire dungeon, resources permitting - with layered Force and metal walls, with a region of overlapping antimagic fields surrounding but not reaching into it, submerged in magma. (Volcano lairs are a classic.) Of course, I'd prepare in advance by buying up or destroying any items of fire immunity I could find... need to come up with a way to sense through molten rock, too. Hm.

Braininthejar2:
I really don't want a volcano lair. That's just begging for it to erupt at the exact worst moment

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version