Author Topic: 3.5 Druid PHB Only  (Read 519 times)

Offline mistborn

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
3.5 Druid PHB Only
« on: November 27, 2023, 07:47:17 PM »
Hello all,
I humbly request advice and ideas on a human druid using PHB as the only resource as well as the following added criteria and restrictions.

25 pt buy

Wild Shape no Animal Companion allowed but gain one domain from plant, air, animal, earth, fire, water
STR: 8 DEX: 8 CON: 16 INT: 10 WIS: 17 CHA: 8

OR

The Shapeshift variant from PHB II and domain choice as above.
STR: 13 DEX: 12 CON: 14 INT: 8 WIS: 16 CHA: 8

No exceptions to the restrictions aside from having access to the Shapeshift variant from PHB II.
Build towards non-item dependency.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 07:51:37 PM by mistborn »

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
Re: 3.5 Druid PHB Only
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 09:46:39 PM »
Shapeshift variant is significantly weaker, but does exist at 1st level.  If you expect the game to last, regular druid is the superior option*.  What domain you want is really based on theme, they're all fine.  Except Animal, which is utterly redundant for a Druid.  Plant at least gets you a command plants ability, which is at least cool.  I think Fire would give you the most spells that aren't native to the Druid list.

However, you may want a 13 strength anyway, because there aren't many feats you can use for wildshape in PHB other than Weapon Focus and Power Attack.

*I've played Shapeshift specifically for that handicap before.  Its stronger at 1st, but weaker after 4th.  For some parties its keeps the druid from feeling so munchkin.

Offline Skyrock

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 12:49:45 PM »
What makes the Shapeshift ACF more interesting in this case is the PHB restriction - the game will probably not allow dumpster-diving for special animal forms like Fleshrakers, the thing that makes Wildshape so good.

And you get to play around with some overlooked Druid combat buff spells that are normally tossed aside once Wildshape comes online and makes them redundant, like Shillelagh.

Offline mistborn

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 02:15:14 PM »
@Keldar all good points thank you.

@Skyrock My thoughts are the same. Also, I think I will never be higher than 17-18 AC in Wild Shape. Shapeshift will get me to 30+ eventually. Even more, with a level dip into Monk. Not having Wildling Clasp will hurt.

Offline abdole

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 06:00:38 PM »
The choice between Wild Shape and the Shapeshift variant depends on your preferred playstyle. Wild Shape offers more flexibility, allowing you to transform into a variety of creatures, while the Shapeshift variant grants you a more controlled and thematic transformation