Author Topic: Fun Finds v4.0  (Read 329024 times)

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Finds v4.0
« Reply #880 on: September 12, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »
Yes, the 3.0 version of Supreme Cleave made that very clear.  It only added an extra occasion for using the 5 foot step, not extra uses.  Which stinks, Fighters never get any cool toys. 

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 12, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »
Oh hi dere Evasive Reflexes, when did you come in?
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline tuesdayscoming

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 12, 2013, 07:10:26 PM »
Check out the Shadow Bound template.  For only +1 LA you get Shadow Blend and Shadow Walk SLA (apparently at will).
You can use that to meet the prereqs for Shadowcrafter at lv1.
EDIT: Shadowcraft Mage too.

Forgive me, but does this really work? As I understand it, the ability to use a Spell-like ability =/= the ability to cast a spell for purposes of meeting prerequisites.

Am I mistaken?

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Not very active here but still active online
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 12, 2013, 07:11:29 PM »
Check out the Shadow Bound template.  For only +1 LA you get Shadow Blend and Shadow Walk SLA (apparently at will).
You can use that to meet the prereqs for Shadowcrafter at lv1.
EDIT: Shadowcraft Mage too.

Forgive me, but does this really work? As I understand it, the ability to use a Spell-like ability =/= the ability to cast a spell for purposes of meeting prerequisites.

Am I mistaken?

You are. Check Complete Arcane, pg 72.
Please, call me Count :).

Offline tuesdayscoming

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 12, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »

Am I mistaken?

Hmm... Not by my reading. The rules there say "requirements for feats and prestige classes based on specific levels of spells cast (“Able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells,” for example) cannot be met by spell-like abilities or invocations—not even spell-like abilities or invocations that allow a character to use a specific arcane spell of the appropriate level or higher."

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: September 12, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »

Am I mistaken?

Hmm... Not by my reading. The rules there say "requirements for feats and prestige classes based on specific levels of spells cast (“Able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells,” for example) cannot be met by spell-like abilities or invocations—not even spell-like abilities or invocations that allow a character to use a specific arcane spell of the appropriate level or higher."

On the other hand it also has this on the same page:

A requirement based on a specific spell measures whether the character or creature in question is capable of producing the necessary effect, and as such, invocations and spell-like abilities that generate the relevant effect meet the requirements for specific spell knowledge. For example, a prestige class with a spellcasting requirement of “Must know (or be able to cast) darkness” is met by a warlock who chooses darkness as one of her invocations, or by any creature with darkness as a spell-like ability.

So you're both wrong and right. It's debatable whether "specific spell" includes the Shadowcrafter prereq of "Able to cast any 3rd-level or higher spell with the illusion (shadow) descriptor." or if it has to name the spell.

Offline Meiliken

• experienced
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 17, 2013, 06:41:20 AM »
There are 2 classes with the same name.  Corsair.   The first one is in dragon 310 pg 34.  It is a fighter variant.  Then there is the second one in dragon 321 pg 86.  The 2nd one is a prestige class.  There is a bonus extra of a 3rd one that is the Scarlet Corsair(stormwrack) that is a prestige class, but since it adds that extra "scarlet" it doesn't fall into the idea of the same name ;)  Interesting find to me heh.
A person without honor is no more than a talking monkey.

Blackmail is such an ugly word.  I prefer extortion.  The "X" makes it sound cool!  ~Bender Bending Rodriguez

Offline TiaC

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Is this to be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 17, 2013, 02:31:22 PM »
I just noticed how good Water Devotion is in E6. Summon a Medium Water elemental for a minute with a standard action. Extra uses only cost 1 turn attempt. Yes Please! I could pull my weight in most E6 parties I've seen with a Warrior 5/Cleric 1 and this feat.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 17, 2013, 04:48:51 PM »
There are 2 classes with the same name.  Corsair.   The first one is in dragon 310 pg 34.  It is a fighter variant.  Then there is the second one in dragon 321 pg 86.  The 2nd one is a prestige class.  There is a bonus extra of a 3rd one that is the Scarlet Corsair(stormwrack) that is a prestige class, but since it adds that extra "scarlet" it doesn't fall into the idea of the same name ;)  Interesting find to me heh.

Hey that'll work in Gestalt for a Corsair Corsair ~Corsair, still room left over for something else/good/better/boosting.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 17, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »
Hexer is pretty nice. Full BAB, lots of bonus spells (without a "one level lower" restriction), and the gaze attacks are decent. The spell prereq was meant for adepts, but Alternative Source Spell and Southern Magician should be able to get you in. OA shugenja also qualifies.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: September 17, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
Not my find but I'm posting it here just in case people haven't seen it: Using Legacy Champion to advance the vampire template class. LC adds BAB/Saves/Skills etc. You can actually play a viable vamp this way.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
  • You have one round to give a rat's ass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 17, 2013, 08:54:53 PM »
Not my find but I'm posting it here just in case people haven't seen it: Using Legacy Champion to advance the vampire template class. LC adds BAB/Saves/Skills etc. You can actually play a viable vamp this way.

I keep forgetting that template classes and monster classes have different rules.

Perhaps found a Legacy Item that turns it's owner into a Vampire, then use that for Legacy Champion.
Concerned about how moderation works here? Please PM this account.

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 17, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »

I keep forgetting that template classes and monster classes have different rules.

Perhaps found a Legacy Item that turns it's owner into a Vampire, then use that for Legacy Champion.
Er... can someone explain the difference to me? I'm... missing them, somehow.

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 17, 2013, 09:31:04 PM »

You can multiclass out of the template ones whenever you level up, but for the monster classes you can't multiclass at all until it's finished.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 17, 2013, 09:50:24 PM »

You can multiclass out of the template ones whenever you level up, but for the monster classes you can't multiclass at all until it's finished.

I think that's only for the Savage Progression template classes. I'm not aware of any outside the Savage Progression articles though so that may not be relevant...

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 17, 2013, 10:07:40 PM »
Source on the template classes?  Or is it SS?

Offline 123456789blaaa

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 17, 2013, 10:39:04 PM »
Source on the template classes?  Or is it SS?

A series of online articles. Click the "Gaining a Template Midcampaign" link.

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 18, 2013, 01:25:45 AM »
I may just be slow on the uptake, but I've never really considered the fact that eternal wands have a fixed cost for each spell level.  Almost everything else makes you pay more for spells with costly material components or xp costs.  The most practical application of that loophole I can think of is an eternal wand of identify.  It costs 820 gp to buy it, but you save 100 gp each time you don't cast identify normally, so it pays for itself after 9 uses. 

Offline Sinfire Titan

• Hustler 3
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 18, 2013, 07:54:13 AM »
I may just be slow on the uptake, but I've never really considered the fact that eternal wands have a fixed cost for each spell level.  Almost everything else makes you pay more for spells with costly material components or xp costs.  The most practical application of that loophole I can think of is an eternal wand of identify.  It costs 820 gp to buy it, but you save 100 gp each time you don't cast identify normally, so it pays for itself after 9 uses.

Yeah, especially if you find one that has an XP cost. Eternal Wands are good for what they do.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 18, 2013, 03:36:14 PM »
Hexer is pretty nice. Full BAB, lots of bonus spells (without a "one level lower" restriction), and the gaze attacks are decent. The spell prereq was meant for adepts, but Alternative Source Spell and Southern Magician should be able to get you in. OA shugenja also qualifies.
Great for Archivists.  I've always wanted to play a Bhuka (sp? - Sandstorm) Librarian who would glare (hex) at people if they interrupted his quiet.