Author Topic: [OOC] I put on my robe and wizard hat  (Read 25561 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 02:19:34 PM »
I'm going to drop out of this game.  I'm just having a really hard time with the ruleset, and luckily there are four other characters built so I don't feel like I'm ruining the game by dropping out.  Good luck everybody!

Offline Popedanei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nine Traditions Meetup
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 02:34:17 PM »
I'm going to drop out of this game.  I'm just having a really hard time with the ruleset, and luckily there are four other characters built so I don't feel like I'm ruining the game by dropping out.  Good luck everybody!

Later man I really liked your characters sheets I'm making one for exalted 2nd ed.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »

Later man I really liked your characters sheets I'm making one for exalted 2nd ed.

I'm glad you like it.  Like I said in another thread (or two or maybe three), if you (or anybody) wants me to make a sheet for any game just let me know and I'll see what I can do.   :)

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 06:48:15 AM »

I'm glad you like it.  Like I said in another thread (or two or maybe three), if you (or anybody) wants me to make a sheet for any game just let me know and I'll see what I can do.   :)

Sorry mate... Maybe when you have more time on your hands you can give another shot  at the system? It's really fun & easy when you get the hang of it. If you've never tried a WW game before, maybe you'd do well to start with something easier than Mage, like Vampire The Masquerade or Werewolf. Werewolf is pretty easy, even easier than Vampire (at least it was for me). When i have more time on my hands maybe i'll do a Werewolf game, and then you can join =]
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »

Sorry mate... Maybe when you have more time on your hands you can give another shot  at the system? It's really fun & easy when you get the hang of it. If you've never tried a WW game before, maybe you'd do well to start with something easier than Mage, like Vampire The Masquerade or Werewolf. Werewolf is pretty easy, even easier than Vampire (at least it was for me). When i have more time on my hands maybe i'll do a Werewolf game, and then you can join =]

I've played Scion, but Scion is a lot more structured in what your abilities actually do. 

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 11:16:28 AM »
@All: Sorry for not posting, the last few days have been like hell (as the rest of the week will be). I'll try to start tommorow or the day after that.

So, you'll probably be forming a cabal, but that's not a "party" in the d&d sense - more like friends who know and trust each other. That means that not every player will be present at every scene.

So, in order to know who appears when, we can have multiple threads with the character names on them; if someone leaves or joins, we can update and/or start new threads. Once the scene is over, we can start a new thread, but that may result in a crowded board. Any suggestions?

P.S. I'm planning for all of you to start together, in a specific place. So far one player asked for you to start elsewhere. Does anyone else want to start somewhere else?

No problem! Thanks for spending time on this. If you'd like to come back, feel free to drop me a pm/post in the OOC section.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 12:12:20 PM »

NOOOOO!!!  :bigeyes

Will miss you here.
Would have been nice to have you. Especially if you'd blended Life, Prime, and Spirit to be a poke' master here too  :smirk.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 12:33:59 PM »
I do still need a little bit of help with the wonder rules, especially considering the sword is a big part of who my character is (it will be her focus for Prime magic).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:36:34 PM by littha »

Offline Popedanei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nine Traditions Meetup
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 01:07:39 PM »
1st is stats
Weapon    Damage              Difficulty     Conceal
Sword      Strength + 3L      Normal            ?

I would up the dmg by 1-2L Since it is not a heavy combat game I wouldn't focus on stats to much. Some ideas
-1 on magic using prime when sword is a foci.
Sword has a quin pool of (artifact rating) that can be drawn out by owner.
Sense Quin rote is easier (provide more details such as nature of magic).

And it can kill people. :P

Offline PipTheBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 05:00:42 AM »
My character idea is there, I just haven't taken the time to write it down yet. What's the deadline?

I have a question about Resonance too: what is it? I understand it's some sort of fingerprint for your magic. Is it like a visual manifestation that comes with vulgar magic or is it more subtle than that? I'm having a hard time picturing the example in the book: "instructional" static resonance.

Offline Popedanei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Nine Traditions Meetup
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 08:00:03 AM »
Most of the time it's subtle. Especially this earlier in your mage's life. Its a way to show that as mages age they lose there past IDs and that the magic they use affects them deeply. Right now, pick one static, dynamic, or entropic and then a word to describe it. like Niyati is Static and her flavor is Still Water. That's the closest word to describe her magic's feel when analysed.   

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 10:21:05 AM »
My character idea is there, I just haven't taken the time to write it down yet. What's the deadline?

I have a question about Resonance too: what is it? I understand it's some sort of fingerprint for your magic. Is it like a visual manifestation that comes with vulgar magic or is it more subtle than that? I'm having a hard time picturing the example in the book: "instructional" static resonance.

How much time do you need to write it down? Please do so as quickly as possible!

Resonance is weird. Most magic won't have a visual manifestation (unless, say, you're turning steel into silver with matter, which obviously will have one), but that's not resonance. Resonance is a "gut feeling"; for instance, you might get shivers when entering a graveyard - that's because the place has high entropic resonance; alternatively you might find a person with a litte dynamic resonance more attractive than another with no resonance at all - etc.

As I already said, resonance is like a "signature" your mage will have. It's possible to have all three at various amounts, without one negating the other (for instance, if you have 1 dynamic and 1 static they don't cancel each other - both co-exist).

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 05:04:22 PM »
@Dictum you still haven't replied regarding the rules for my Wonder... I'm kinda lost here
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »
@Dictum you still haven't replied regarding the rules for my Wonder... I'm kinda lost here

To be perfectly honest, I'm completely lost with high-level wonders, too. What would you like your sword to have?

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 12:12:29 PM »

To be perfectly honest, I'm completely lost with high-level wonders, too. What would you like your sword to have?

Mine's not a sword, but a pendant... And i think i already posted some ideas for it in my character thread... I'll go there and post it here.

EDIT: Reposting from Character Thread

I also want to talk about my Wonder. It's going to be my Unique Focus, reflecting how my character believes that Necklace is a creation of Fortuna Primigenia, the most powerful manifestation of Fortuna, which helps him establish that connection with the Threads of Fate that he believes is how he can influence the world.

I was thinking the Necklace could cast off strong Entropic energies which help my Character influence the Tellurian when using Entropy, reducing the number of successes needed to achieve a determinate effect and/or reducing the difficulty of achieving said effect. I also envision the Necklace as functioning as some sort of "Luck Battery", as per his belief that the necklace is his "Lucky Charm".

Maybe he can infuse the Necklace with Quintessence to keep it "charged" with luck, that he can then burn off to help him succeed in difficult tasks or dire live-or-die situations? Or maybe, he can manipulate the threads of Fate, siphoning luck out of others, which he then stores into the necklace, pulling out of that pool of stored Luck when he needs it bad. I think that second option would fit quite well with the characters concept as a "Luck Mage".

Another question: Since my charater is already quite high on Prime, and the rules say the creation of minor trinkets with Prime 3 is possible, can my character create minor trinkets with his current spheres, or is the creation of artifacts & trinkets only possible with Matter as a sphere?

Offline TheRealTsu

• Lurker
  • I'm the real Tsu! '^'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 12:15:23 PM »
Hi there everyone, sorry to suddenly stumble into this thread. I was wondering if it was possible that I could join in on this game, Dictum? Reason I am posting in here is because I posted in this other thread but I haven't gotten a reply so far and I know the game is starting soon. I have most of my profile already written out already, so I can have it posted quickly should you accept me. I only need to distribute my points and fill in a few blanks, I can have that done in no time. It also doesn't matter for me if my character would start in Bordeaux or somewhere else entirely.

Hopefully I can join, I will check this thread periodically awaiting your response.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 01:25:48 PM »

Mine's not a sword, but a pendant... And i think i already posted some ideas for it in my character thread... I'll go there and post it here.

I also want to talk about my Wonder. It's going to be my Unique Focus, reflecting how my character believes that Necklace is a creation of Fortuna Primigenia, the most powerful manifestation of Fortuna, which helps him establish that connection with the Threads of Fate that he believes is how he can influence the world.

I was thinking the Necklace could cast off strong Entropic energies which help my Character influence the Tellurian when using Entropy, reducing the number of successes needed to achieve a determinate effect and/or reducing the difficulty of achieving said effect. I also envision the Necklace as functioning as some sort of "Luck Battery", as per his belief that the necklace is his "Lucky Charm".

Maybe he can infuse the Necklace with Quintessence to keep it "charged" with luck, that he can then burn off to help him succeed in difficult tasks or dire live-or-die situations? Or maybe, he can manipulate the threads of Fate, siphoning luck out of others, which he then stores into the necklace, pulling out of that pool of stored Luck when he needs it bad. I think that second option would fit quite well with the characters concept as a "Luck Mage".

Another question: Since my charater is already quite high on Prime, and the rules say the creation of minor trinkets with Prime 3 is possible, can my character create minor trinkets with his current spheres, or is the creation of artifacts & trinkets only possible with Matter as a sphere?

Unique foci give a -1 difficulty, but you can only use them as a focus; if you lose them, you're in trouble.

How much wonder rating do you have? You could use it as a quintessence battery if you wish so (rechargable using prime magic).

You can create minor trinkets, but the effects that they carry will depend on the spheres you possess. I don't know much on wonders - we're not using them a lot (aside from minor trinkets and powerful artifacts mcguffins) because we dislike the "D&D" feeling they have.

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 01:27:22 PM »
Hi there everyone, sorry to suddenly stumble into this thread. I was wondering if it was possible that I could join in on this game, Dictum? Reason I am posting in here is because I posted in this other thread but I haven't gotten a reply so far and I know the game is starting soon. I have most of my profile already written out already, so I can have it posted quickly should you accept me. I only need to distribute my points and fill in a few blanks, I can have that done in no time. It also doesn't matter for me if my character would start in Bordeaux or somewhere else entirely.

Hopefully I can join, I will check this thread periodically awaiting your response.

Attributes are 7/5/3 and abilities are 13/9/5 (you choose how to distribute them e.g. 5/7/3 or 3/5/7). Please post a character background and your paradigm before anything else.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »

Unique foci give a -1 difficulty, but you can only use them as a focus; if you lose them, you're in trouble.

How much wonder rating do you have? You could use it as a quintessence battery if you wish so (rechargable using prime magic).

You can create minor trinkets, but the effects that they carry will depend on the spheres you possess. I don't know much on wonders - we're not using them a lot (aside from minor trinkets and powerful artifacts mcguffins) because we dislike the "D&D" feeling they have.

I have 3 wonder rating. Unique Foci is harsh... Maybe it can give a -1 in spite of not being a unique focus? Like -1 difficulty for entropy due to it being a specialty item?

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 05:57:43 PM »
Note to self for future reference: If I want life to kick my ass thoroughly and repetitively, try to join a PbP game. Doesn't fail to trigger.

/sigh.

Will try to update with stats as quickly as possible.

Two questions @DM though:
A) How's my Background and Paradigm?
B) You've mentioned the 7 point flaw limit, but the book also says "or any two, even if more than 7 points". What is your stance on this?

Also, so everybody realizes, I do have a phylactery. If Dictum is anything like every other ST/DM I've ever played with, expect it to be stolen in 2d10 "sessions".

Because the purpose of that flaw (in general, and for me) is seriously just for backstory and fun adventures wherein you've been rendered mundane.  :)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome