Author Topic: I just got my first 24h ban on Facebook, lol.  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I just got my first 24h ban on Facebook, lol.
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 07:48:24 PM »
Being sarcastic is being sarcastic.  It was me being an asshole because you were being an asshole, I just have fun doing it the sarcastic way.  I'm sarcastic without complaining pretty often, it's a fairly normal thing to do.

As for the rest, my standards have never changed.  I brought up the UN initially as a specific point that they don't protect these rights that they claim everyone has to the standard that would justify me agreeing that they are in fact "human rights".  I was aware that the UN asserts free speech rights when I brought them up, that's why I brought them up.  Claiming that there is a generic human right (such as the right of free speech) when from a practical standpoint they do not have that right (because their government will imprison them) is as meaningless to me as if the president of Mexico declared that I had the right to own a missile launcher.  The right being laid out within a legal document or not was never relevant.

You are correct, I don't attempt flawless protection of rights to agree that rights exist but by definition human rights have to (at least generally if not literally) apply to all humans or they are not in fact human rights but rights citizenship/other group rights.  This has been my opinion for longer than we've been having this conversation.  You obviously disagree with that but don't act like it's something I just made up on the spot.

I say that you haven't been reading because everything that I have said has been my opinion for years and nothing has changed within the last couple of weeks, and yet you throw around accusations of backpedaling and skewing my standards as if I haven't been entirely consistent this whole time.  If you think there's been whining in anything I've said that you definitely haven't been paying enough attention or you're making some very strange assumptions about the meaning behind my words.

If you make assumptions about my opinions without asking for clarity that's on you.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 07:56:22 PM »
Kuro, I'm sorry that my off-hand comment took over your thread like this.  It wasn't my intention.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2021, 12:07:49 PM »
You don't have to apologize, man. Actually, this goes a little to the core of my argument about free speech.

Everyone has opinions. Those can be based on facts or impressions, they can make up the core of what you believe is right or wrong with the world, or they can be completely ambivalent about the subject matter. However, opinions have no intrinsic value, however well-formulated they may be or however strongly people feel about them. They are viewpoints, and said viewpoints are based off people's perceptions of the world and the values they hold closest to heart. Both of those can be easily distorted. Even when your starting line is nothing but bare facts, you can still arrive at the wrong conclusion.

However strongly my opinion disagrees with someone else's, it shouldn't be something one takes personally as a slight. And at the same time, the fact that my opinion is my opinion does not make it immune to criticism. Everybody's perceptions and values are different. How can you tell right from wrong if you don't have the same baseline assumptions? You'd never reach a consensus that way.

That is why I believe in UNRESTRICTED free speech. Yes, even the most asinine. Certain forms of expression should remain a crime - especifically those that incite violence - but people need to be exposed to a multitude of opinions in order to understand each other.

If everyone around you behaves the exact same way and displays the exact same opinions... how are you going to be able to tell the nice people from the assholes?
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2021, 01:09:01 AM »
I just assume people aren't nice until shown otherwise. Problem solved.  ;)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2021, 10:55:27 AM »
Isn't that a bit of a depressing way to live?

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2021, 12:17:43 PM »
I've never thought so. 

Offline KellKheraptis

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Temporal Dissonance Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2021, 02:18:56 AM »

Low expectations means minimal disappointment.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2021, 04:56:21 PM »

Low expectations means minimal disappointment.
Perennially low expectations means minimal incentive, too. If you're always expecting the worst to pass, eventually you lose the ability to rejoice when it doesn't.

Disappointment, occasional or otherwise, is necessary to balance out ennui.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2021, 05:42:55 PM »
I've been a pessimist who thought that most people were not very good for longer than I've been an adult and I've never lost the ability to rejoice or succumbed to ennui.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2021, 10:36:09 AM »
It does sound like you've kinda turned out that way on your own, instead of choosing it as a path though.

I've tried behaving that way by choice for a while, and I realized that I was spending too much energy trying to brace for disappointment. It doesn't help that I have social anxiety, though.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2021, 10:51:18 AM »
True, I did just kind of turn out this way.

I also don't brace for disappointment.  I expect disappointment so when it happens then everything as normal and I don't actually feel disappointment.  When people are unexpectedly good it is a pleasant surprise.  (I still do get disappointed in people sometimes.)