Author Topic: Game: I Can Use That! (D&D)  (Read 95320 times)

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
Game: I Can Use That! (D&D)
« on: November 21, 2012, 01:36:53 PM »
DMs, have you ever included an item in your loot piñata's inventory 'just for fun?'  Players, have you ever identified a custom magic item and responded with "What the bloody blue hell?  :twitch"  That's the basis of this game.

Here's how it works:  One person describes a unique magic item that is neither weapon nor armor/shield, nor explicitly designed to work to augment offense/defense, for the purposes of this game; there's no need to spend too much time handwringing over the precise price or the exact combination of magics to make it work as described.  The next person comes up with a legitimate, in-game use for the item aside from selling it, siphoning off the magic, or otherwise making it someone else's problem.  That person, in turn, describes a new magic item, and so on.  Clear?

First magic item:  This ordinary looking, polished metal mirror has been permanently enchanted with an "always on" Dimension Door effect.  Any living, sentient (INT > 2) creature who touches its surface is instantly transferred to a spot up to 30' away which is capable of supporting that creature's weight, with no saving throw.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 01:50:58 PM by InnaBinder »
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Re: Game: I Can Use That! (D&D)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 06:29:54 PM »
"Sweet! This is totally going with my Drunken Master Bloodstorm Blade character!"

Second Magic Item: This shirt is a light, misty green in coloration. As long as it is worn, the character's hair is extremely well groomed.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 08:12:08 PM »
"That will go perfect for my prissy, high elf ranger who always sleeps in the wild."

Third Magic Item: This is a coin that always twirls when it lands on a solid object after being tossed in the air. It will never lay flat on the surface and will keep twirling until it is stopped.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline Bozwevial

• Epic Member
  • Developing a relaxed attitude toward danger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 08:28:24 PM »
"Oh man, our oneiromancer is going to kill me when he figures this one out, but it'll be so worth it."

Fourth Magic Item: This book, when read, confers upon the reader the ability to speak backwards with perfect ease.
Homebrew Compendiums: D&D 3.5 4e/PF
IRC: #mmxgeneral on Rizon

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:41:49 PM »
"This is going to be perfect for my truenamer. Now his reverse utterances will be more accurate"

Fifth magic item: An amulet that causes nearby statues to cry tears of blood.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »
"This is going to be perfect for my truenamer. Now his reverse utterances will be more accurate"

Fifth magic item: An amulet that causes nearby statues to cry tears of blood.

"This'll help me intimidate people with my Haunt Shifted statue."

Sixth magic item: cold zippo. This device can be triggered at any time to sprout an illusory flame that sheds light as shadowy illumination to a radius of 5ft.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
"Awesome! Now I can draw their attention away from the wizard in dark rooms."

Seventh Magic Item: A hat that creates a major image identical to the area the spell is targeted at, but slightly redder.
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »
Seventh Magic Item: A hat that creates a major image identical to the area the spell is targeted at, but slightly redder.
"This will be perfect for my druid! Now the fighter will know where I cast Entangle... and Vortex of Teeth. I don't know. Maybe color coding won't even help him..."

Eighth magic item: a pair of briefs that constantly grants the benefits of Endure Elements, but only if the wearer is wearing no other clothing or armor.
My creations

Offline Arturick

• Ascended Fatbeard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 02:32:11 AM »
Eighth magic item: a pair of briefs that constantly grants the benefits of Endure Elements, but only if the wearer is wearing no other clothing or armor.

My Cleric/worshiper of the Frostmaiden likes to go around half naked during blizzards.

Ninth Magic Item:  This brown diamond emits a constant, high-pitched, nerve-grating squeal like nails on a chalkboard.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 07:55:57 AM »
My Cleric/worshiper of the Frostmaiden likes to go around half naked during blizzards.

Ninth Magic Item:  This brown diamond emits a constant, high-pitched, nerve-grating squeal like nails on a chalkboard.

I finally found that Shrieker mating call I was looking for!

Tenth Magic Item: This sword is made of light green crystal, and shatters when used against any creature that isn't left-handed.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »

I finally found that Shrieker mating call I was looking for!

Tenth Magic Item: This sword is made of light green crystal, and shatters when used against any creature that isn't left-handed.

Great, now my artificer / Ganondorf clone has a weapon he can improve to no end so he can use it against his rival, and it can't be used against him!

Eleventh Magic Item: a pair of pants that changes to a random colour at random intervals.

(Also, speaking of character clones: "My Cleric/worshiper of the Frostmaiden likes to go around half naked during blizzards." ... Gray Fullbuster?)
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »
Eleventh Magic Item: a pair of pants that changes to a random colour at random intervals.

Half-Elf Rogue: I found a fabulous pair of pants that doubles up as disco camouflage for those all nighters at the club.

Eleventh Magic Item: The upside-down Sword. You hold it by the blade and bash them over the head with the handle. Magically enchanted to have +2 to Damage rolls if wielded by a Monk.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »
Sorry for "leapfrogging" here, but this is just too easy.

Twelfth Magic Item: The upside-down Sword. You hold it by the blade and bash them over the head with the handle. Magically enchanted to have +2 to Damage rolls if wielded by a Monk.

Drunken Master: hehe, dibs on that improvised weapon.

Thirteenth Magic Item: Blanket that constantly soils itself, as well as whatever it touches.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 08:19:30 PM »
Thirteenth Magic Item: Blanket that constantly soils itself, as well as whatever it touches.
"Hey! Something that my cancer mage won't make disgusting! This will look good in his home."

Fourteenth magic item: A mithril helmet that plays dub step that only the wearer can hear so long as it's on their head. The wearer suffers a -5 penalty on Listen checks while wearing the helmet.
My creations

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »
"Oh sweet Pelor the villain's monologuing again and the DM won't let me just stab him in the face this time. Better put on the helmet."

Fifteenth Magic Item: A magical sword with an illusory blade. If attempted to be used to stab someone, it loudly declares "THIS SWORD IS AN ILLUSION" in seven randomly determined languages and creates minor images of blinking neon arrows.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
Fifteenth Magic Item: A magical sword with an illusory blade. If attempted to be used to stab someone, it loudly declares "THIS SWORD IS AN ILLUSION" in seven randomly determined languages and creates minor images of blinking neon arrows.

"Perfect, I can switch the count's sword with this before our duel tomorrow"

Sixteenth magic item: A giant rock that attracts bodily fluids from miles around at hypersonic speeds.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »
Sixteenth magic item: A giant rock that attracts bodily fluids from miles around at hypersonic speeds.

"Sweet! A doomsday weapon for my CE Warforged to use against the fleshies!"

Seventeenth Magic Item: A bucket of water that is always full when upright, but is empty at all other times.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 08:31:43 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Seventeenth Magic Item: A bucket of water that is always full when upright, but is empty at all other times.
"Sweet, it heals and baths frenzy barbarians without making any sort of mess."

Eighteenth magic item: The Philosopher's 1st Stone, this small ruby has the power to turn metal forks into bent-out-of-shape metal sporks.

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
Eighteenth magic item: The Philosopher's 1st Stone, this small ruby has the power to turn metal forks into bent-out-of-shape metal sporks.

"Sporks have slightly more metal than forks! A net gain for scrap value!"

Nineteenth Magic Item: A plaster statue that changes to a random color of paint every three hours.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:53:51 PM by Clanjos »

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 09:58:29 PM »

"Sporks have slightly more metal than forks! A net gain for scrap value!"

Eighteenth Magic Item: A plaster statue that changes to a random color of paint every three hours.
Slight math problem.  Ahem.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here