Author Topic: Awakened Monstrous Spider  (Read 7748 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Awakened Monstrous Spider
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:11:18 PM »
Awakened Monstrous Spider

HD:d12
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Feature
1 +1 +2 +2 +0  Monstrous Spider  Body, Poison, Predator Type, Spider Silk, Home Web, Tremorsense, Dex +2
2 +2 +3 +3 +0 Growth, Str +1, Dex +1
3 +3 +3 +3 +1Advanced Arachnid, Str+1, Dex +1
4 +4 +4 +4 +1Advanced Arachnid , Str+1, Dex +1
5 +5 +4 +4 +1 Growth, The Spider and the Fly, Str +1, Con+1
6 +6 +5 +5 +2 Expert Arachnid, Str +1, Dex+1
7 +7 +5 +5 +2 Expert Arachnid, Str +1, Con +1
8 +8 +6 +6 +2Growth, Will you walk into my parlour? Str +1, Con +1
9 +9 +6 +6 +3Master Arachnid, Str+1, Dex+1
10+10 +7 +7 +3Master Arachnid, Str+1, Con+1,
11+11 +7 +7 +3 Growth, And if you like to rest awhile, I'll snugly tuck you in!   Str+1, Con+1
Skills: 4+int modifier per level, quadruple at first level. Class skills are Climb, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Knowledge(nature), Move Silently Spot, Survival.

Proficiencies:
Its own natural weapons.

Features:

Monstrous Spider  Body:
The Monstrous Spider loses all other racial traits and bonuses and gains vermin traits (Basically immunity to mind affecting effects and darkvision 60 feet) except that it retains an Int score. It is a medium sized vermin with a base speed of 30 feet and a climb speed of 20 feet. It has one natural Bite attacks dealing 1d6+1,5 Str mod damage.

It does not have limbs capable of fine manipulation.

It also gains a natural armor bonus equal to its Con modifier. Whenever it grows a size category, increase its Natural Armor bonus by 1. All of its abilities are Extraordinary abilities, even those that replicate spells.

Poison:
A monstrous spider's bite inflicts a poison that deals 1d4 Str damage as primary and secondary damage, Fort save with DC 10+1/2 HD+Con mod negates.  At 3 HD, and every 3 HD thereafter, both damages increase one size category. At 10 HD, the poison can affect creatures normally immune to it, but they gain a +5 bonus on their saves.

Predator Type: At first level the Monstrous spider must pick one of the following options, which will affect several of the abilities it gains during its life

Hunter- You actively hunt your prey, chasing them in the open. A Hunter Monstrous Spider has its base speed increased by 10 and gains a racial bonus on Jump and Spot checks equal to its Monstrous Spider level plus half other levels.

Web-Spinner- You specialize in using your silk as a weapon, laying in ambush in your web and waiting for your prey to get itself imobilized before striking the final blow. Web-spinners gain a racial bonus on Hide and Move silently checks while on their own webs equal to their Monstrous Spider level plus half other levels, and can throw a Web as a standard action a number of times per day equal to 3+1/2 HD. This is similar to an attack with a net, (including a trailing rope of silk up to its maximum range, that doesn't cost Spider Silk)  with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to one size category larger than the spider. An entangled creature can escape with a successful  Escape Artist check or burst it with a Strength check, for both actions the DCs are DC 10+HD+Con mod and  takes a standard action per try. Any creature trying to use spells, SLAs, psionics or similar while in this web must suceed on a Concentration check with DC  10+HD+Con mod or fail. This web has 5 HP per HD, but  any amount of fire damage instantly burns it, dealing 1d6 fire damage to any creatures trapped by it. It cannot be used again once removed from the target one way or the other.

Predator Skills: All Monstrous spiders have a +4 racial bonus on Hide  and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Climb  checks. A monstrous spider can always choose to take 10 on Climb  checks, even if rushed or threatened. Monstrous spiders use either their Strength or Dexterity modifier for Climb checks, whichever is higher.

Spider Silk: Both types of monstrous spiders often wait in their webs or in trees, then lower themselves silently on silk strands and leap onto prey passing beneath. A single strand is strong enough to support the spider and one creature of the same size, and the Monstrous Spider can produce a “ silk rope” up to 10 feet times its Con Mod times its HD per day as an immediate action, that dissolves by itself after 24 hours. The tips of this silk are naturally sticky and thus can be attached to any inanimate solid surface as a touch attack made as part of the action in creating the silk whitout need of any extra help. Thus a Monstrous spider that finds itself falling on a pit could try to attach a strand of silk in a nearby surface for example. The Monstrous Spider can choose to produce multiple shorter ropes of diferent lenghts over the course of a day.

Home Web: Once per day, both types can also create sheets of sticky webbing up to 5 feet square per HD with 1 hour of work, that must be attached to nearby solid surfaces, connected with each other and are immobile once created. They usually position these sheets to snare flying creatures but can also try to trap prey on the ground. Approaching creatures must succeed on a DC 10+HD+Con mod Spot check to notice a web; otherwise they stumble into it and become trapped as though by a successful web attack (see Web-Spinner for details, except creatures traped by this can't move from their spot at all). Attempts to escape or burst the webbing gain a +5 bonus if the trapped creature has something to walk on or grab while pulling free. Each 5-foot section has 2 HP per HD, and Hardness 5 that is bypassed by fire damage. Such sheets last 24 hours before dissolving by themselves.

A monstrous spider can move across its own Home Web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web. Other creatures treat the Home Web as difficult terrain. A Monstrous Spider can also always atempt to Hide on while standing on its own Home Web even if it has nothing else to hide behind, and never takes size penalties for hiding on it as well.

Tremorsense: A monstrous spider can detect and pinpoint any creature or object within 5 feet per HD in contact with the ground, or within any range in contact with the spider’s webs.

Ability Increase: The Monstrous Spider gains +2 to Dex at first level, plus +1 to

-Dex at levels 2, 3, 4, 6, 9
-Str at levels 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
-Con at levels 5, 7, 8, 10, 11

For a total of +7 Dex, +10 Str and +5 Con at level 11.

Growth: A Monstrous Spider grows exceptionally fast. At levels 2, 5, 8 and 11 it grows a size category. Notice it is a long creature.

Advanced Arachnid:
Monstrous spiders are extremely sucessful predators, thanks to the development of a series of unique abilities. At levels 3 and 4 pick from two of the following abilities. Each option can only be taken once.

(click to show/hide)

The Spider and The Fly:
at 5th level, the Monstrous Spider gains a  bonus equal to half her HD on attack rolls, AC, damage rolls, skill check, ability checks and saves against airborne oponents.

Expert Arachind:
The tricks Monstrous spiders developed to capture their preys are admired even by the most talented hunters among the mortal races. At levels 6 and 7 pick two of the following abilities. In alternative, you may pick three from the advanced Arachnid list instead of one Expert Arachnid ability. Each option can only be taken once unless noted otherwise.

(click to show/hide)

Will you walk into my parlour? Flies created flying, and spiders created webs to capture them. Mortal mages created magic to atempt to escape, and again the spider upped the stakes. At 8th level all of the Monstrous Spider webs (including Versatile Silk) ignore Freedom of Movement effects and block any extradimensional travel atempted by the targets.

Master Arachnid: At 9th and 10th levels pick two of the following abilities. In alternative, you may pick three from the Expert Arachnid list instead of one Master Arachnid ability. Each option can only be taken once.

(click to show/hide)

And if you like to rest awhile, I'll snugly tuck you in! At 11th level, the Monstrous Spider is indeed a mercyless and cunning predator, master at outwiting and suprising its prey. It can always act on a suprise round, and can take up to a fullround worth of actions instead of just a standard or move. It can also now 1/round swap a move actions for a swift actions or  swap a swift action for a move action.

Comments

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:42:27 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Wrex

• Large and In Charge.
    • View Profile
Re: Awakened Monstrous Spider
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »
First off: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?

Secondly, I'll pick out all the little bloody typos that are sure to exist. Also, drink some water. Water cures hangovers. If you still have a hangover, drink more water.

As an attack action, you can quickly extend your front legs to grab your prey. As an attack action you can start a normal grapple against an enemy whitin your reach whitout provoking attacks of oportunity.

Should only say "attack action" once.
Spawn Spider-When you inject poison in a prey, you may inject some of your eggs along with it. The next round, they spawn from inside your enemy's body and fill their square, forcing them to make a Fort save with DC 10+1/2HD+Con mod or be dazed for 1 round from the horrible experience. For each size your oponent is bigger than medium, an extra  Spider Swarm is spawned as the youngs have more to feast upon and thus prey less on their own brothers and sisters. You need Broodmother to pick this ability, and it shares the same number of uses with it.

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!!!!!!? Also eggs don't work like that, but whatever. It's a magic spider.

Countless instances of "Monstrurous" should be changed to "Monstrous"

At 11th level, the Monstruous Spider is indeed a mercyless and cunning predator, master at outwiting and suprising its prey. Once per round, it can force an oponent whitin view to re-roll any single roll and acept the second result. This can be used after knowing if the first roll would be sucessful or not. It may be the spider whispering honey words on its oponent's hears, or a clever subtle trap set up ahead, or the poison doing its work, who knows.

Jesus Christ are you drinking vodka by the gallon? Also probably not workable, and makes next to no sense. I would recommend making it only effective on people suffering from poisoning, if you really want to keep it.

Armored Arachnid-You possess specially tick

This is also hilarious and I advise you to keep this draft in a special place, even when you eventually make this bloody thing make sense.

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:48:22 AM »
Haha! I love this! The fluff is great. Yes, there a few typos, but whatever. Why would an Ettercap ever want another kind of spider? I am going to go and rewrite that whole Spider Companion thing to make it identical to the Xixecal now.  :D

Oh, and also: AWESOME PICTURE
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:50:59 AM by Rakoa »
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 04:47:55 PM »
First off: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?
Because the voices on my head told me to, of course! :p

Secondly, I'll pick out all the little bloody typos that are sure to exist. Also, drink some water. Water cures hangovers. If you still have a hangover, drink more water.

As an attack action, you can quickly extend your front legs to grab your prey. As an attack action you can start a normal grapple against an enemy whitin your reach whitout provoking attacks of oportunity.

Should only say "attack action" once.
Done.

Spawn Spider-When you inject poison in a prey, you may inject some of your eggs along with it. The next round, they spawn from inside your enemy's body and fill their square, forcing them to make a Fort save with DC 10+1/2HD+Con mod or be dazed for 1 round from the horrible experience. For each size your oponent is bigger than medium, an extra  Spider Swarm is spawned as the youngs have more to feast upon and thus prey less on their own brothers and sisters. You need Broodmother to pick this ability, and it shares the same number of uses with it.

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!!!!!!? Also eggs don't work like that, but whatever. It's a magic spider.
Because Broodmother from DOTA, that's why. She has an ability that shoots venom into a target and then spawns spiders from it. I never said I was limiting myself to real-world spiders! :P

Countless instances of "Monstrurous" should be changed to "Monstrous"
Pftt, openofice counted them as 79 when I edited that in.

At 11th level, the Monstruous Spider is indeed a mercyless and cunning predator, master at outwiting and suprising its prey. Once per round, it can force an oponent whitin view to re-roll any single roll and acept the second result. This can be used after knowing if the first roll would be sucessful or not. It may be the spider whispering honey words on its oponent's hears, or a clever subtle trap set up ahead, or the poison doing its work, who knows.

Jesus Christ are you drinking vodka by the gallon? Also probably not workable, and makes next to no sense. I would recommend making it only effective on people suffering from poisoning, if you really want to keep it.
Yeah, trying to make capstones when drunk and sleep deprived may've not been such a good idea. Completely overhauled that ability, let me know what you think!

Armored Arachnid-You possess specially tick

This is also hilarious and I advise you to keep this draft in a special place, even when you eventually make this bloody thing make sense.
Of course, I always save the first drafts!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:19:28 PM by oslecamo »

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »
this will allow me to make a messed up concept ive always wanted to do

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 12:12:53 PM »
Allright, buffed the Monstrous Spider overall, since after some playtesting it was a bit lacking. New master options, more options gained overall, many options can now be picked multiple times for greater effects, bigger bonus from the Spider of the Fly, base stats also pimped up.

Offline GuesssWho

• Lurker
  • I'm crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 06:54:50 AM »
Any chance you could spoiler that damn picture? Yikes.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 08:38:09 AM »
Reduced the size a bit.