Author Topic: General Monster Feats, Flaws and Traits  (Read 52514 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
General Monster Feats, Flaws and Traits
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:59:15 AM »

General Monster Feats

Deceivingly Innocent Form[Monstruous]
"Oh, so cute... OH GODS SHE ATE JACK!"-random commoner

(click to show/hide)

Monster Blooded[Monstruous]

Either trough ritual, ancestry or some other event, the blood of a monster now courses trough your veins, strenghtening you.

(click to show/hide)

Monster Hybrid[Monstruous]

Your monster Blood grows stronger, now completely changing you.

(click to show/hide)

Extra Option
Prerequisites:Levels on one of the following monster classes
(click to show/hide)
Effect:Choose a list of chooseable abilities of one of your monster classes from which you already picked one, such as Animal Apotheosis or Minor Gift of Chaos. You gain another of those options you qualify for.
Special:You may take this feat multiple times, each one picking a diferent option you qualify for. Paragons and their excellences don't qualify for this, she already has her own feats.

Hoard[Monstruous]

There's a special connection between an hoarding monster and its hidden treasure.
(click to show/hide)

Altered Eldritch Source[Monstruous]
Not all monsters of the same kind draw power from the same source.
(click to show/hide)

Dragon Path

(click to show/hide)

Sanctified Soul

"Magic can be used for good or ill. You choose the first."

(click to show/hide)

Precocious Fool[Flaw]
Monsters that rely on brute power usually spend their early life hiding and skulking, well aware that they they're still not prepared to face the world head on. However some individuals of those species decide to start adventuring when they've physically barely grown at all, more often than not trying to bite more than what they can chew.
Effect: You start the game one size category smaller than you  would normally be. However you counts as a your original size when such would not be benefical for it instead of small. So for example a dragon with this flaw starts as a small creature but gains no size hiding bonus or to attack rolls and AC, while still taking a -4 in grapple checks and have the carrying capacity of a small creature.
Special:You may take this flaw multiple times, its effects stack. Every time you level up, you may choose to either lose this flaw (and the feat you had gained from it) or to swap it for another flaw you qualify for, representing your character growing up.

Precocious Genius[Trait]
Despite your body still being small, your mind and spirit are ready for adventure.
Pre-requisite: Must be a creature that would start as medium sized.
Effect: You start small sized.
Special: Every time you level up, you may choose to either lose this trait or to swap it for another trait you qualify for, representing your character growing up. This stacks with the Precocious Flaw.

Savage (Trait)
You've grown on primitive lands or in isolation, and thus highly suspicious of fancy magic items. In return, you've learned how to fully unlock your potential.

Prerequisite: Levels in a monster class.

Benefit: You gain the following benefits.

(click to show/hide)

If you're a PC or a named NPC that isn't somebody's cohort/minion, you also gain six Ancient Skills chosen from the list below. With each level up you can choose new abilities to fill those slots, or with one year of uninterrupted meditation.

If you're slain, your body wields high quality materials that can be harvested as essence for crafting magic items worth 90%  the average treasure for your level (or WBL if you're a PC or named NPC that isn't somebody's cohort/minion).

Loss: You don't know how to read and write unless you spend 2 skill points for that. You also don't know how to speak any widely known language unless you spend another 1 skill points to learn Common. You cannot benefit from magic items on your possession, nor mundane items worth  more than 10 GP besides non-magic non-masterwork weapons you're proficient with. Neither can you benefit from abilities that allow you to absorb a magic item's essence like the Tarrasque's Assimilation. You can still benefit from such items used by others, like riding in somebody else's airship, as long as you're not piloting it. You must still claim your fair share of the party's treasure, and spend 90% of it in exotic extravagant foods (which you can share with others, as long as they eat it on the spot). Or eat the treasure itself. It's full of important nutrients to keep you going! The remaining 10% may be spent as you see fit, although the item usage limitations remain.

If you're brought to life after your essence was harvested, you must consume treasure equal to the average treasure for your level (or WBL if you're a PC or named NPC that isn't somebody's cohort/minion) to regain your Savage bonus, until then you're too weakened to fully unleash your abilities. This recovery is gradually relative to the level of treasure/WBL you consume, so for example if you're a 10th level savage character and consume equivalent to a 5th level character's WBL, you would recover Savage bonus equivalent to a 5th level savage character.

(click to show/hide)

Special: A Savage creature can't take Vow of Poverty, as they wouldn't be rennouncing anything.

(click to show/hide)

Monster Heritage[Trait]
Although you're directly related to a monster you didn't manifest their abilities, yet you still react like them to other sources.
Effect: Choose a specific monster (like a Succubus) or more broad monster category (like fiends). You count as your choice for both good and ill effects from external effects (such as somebody attacking you with a Bane weapon) as well as qualifying for feats.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:26:02 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Phoenix00

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: General Monster Feats
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »
I am assuming with Deceivingly Innocent Form that due to the size change, effects based on size (such as grapple) will be change to +0 since you are now medium size?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
Correct, the only size-based ability you retain is natural weapon damage increases.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 12:17:43 PM »
You should probably clarify what Monster Hybrid does, lots of the classes have size/body changes...

For example, if I was a human and took Monster Hybrid: Pheonix would I lose my arms? would I gain wings? Claw attacks? especially considering the first ability states that you have no limbs capable of fine manipulation.

Also
You can now take levels of the base monster class you choosed with Monster Blooded
Choosed > Chose

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 06:42:28 PM »
Ok, tried to clarify as best as possible.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 12:33:31 PM »
Hoard[Monstruous]

There's a special connection between an hoarding monster and its hidden treasure.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:27:48 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »
An interesting approach... Nice fluff implications. Though the Special clause is odd; you might as well just grant dragons Hoard as a bonus feat. The ability to spend enhancement bonuses for armor and weapon enchantments would also be useful, even if from a restricted list (flaming for red dragons etc.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:05:59 PM by Prime32 »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »
The additions feel broken.

You put a +6 to a stat magic item in there (36k). You still get to equip it and you get a +4 bonus to another ability score for free.
Making your equipped items undispellable, impossible to sunder off your body, undisjunctionable and get to keep their benefits while in an AMF unless they bother finding your horde to steal your stuff (which is hard to do in the middle of combat) is already horrendously good for a feat.

I agree that the Special clause is pretty much a free feat for dragons. Not sure why they should get a special treatment.
Might as well specify if by 'dragon', you mean 'true dragon' or just anything with the dragon type.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 02:14:09 PM by Anomander »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »
What's stopping you from declaring the whole planet as your hoard space?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »
The additions feel broken.

You put a +6 to a stat magic item in there (36k). You still get to equip it and you get a +4 bonus to another ability score for free.
You don't. The secondary options specifically only apply for your non-magic treasure, so belt of giant whatever +6 won't work.

Making your equipped items undispellable, impossible to sunder off your body, undisjunctionable and get to keep their benefits while in an AMF unless they bother finding your horde to steal your stuff (which is hard to do in the middle of combat) is already horrendously good for a feat.
Well, there's the other side where you have to take the measures to protect your hoard.  The enemies you're fighting now may not be a problem, but those goblins and low level adventurers are always in the look out for treasure piles everywhere.

Also it doesn't work for weapons, armor and consumables.

I agree that the Special clause is pretty much a free feat for dragons. Not sure why they should get a special treatment.
Wait, you're really asking why dragons should get a bonus for keeping caves full of gold where they sleep now and then? :p

Now I could go out there and give Hoard as a bonus feat to all dragons, but this way is a)more flavourfull, otherwise you'll never see a PC ever wanting to chew on their treasure, and b)it would be a bit of work editing in all dragons.

Might as well specify if by 'dragon', you mean 'true dragon' or just anything with the dragon type.
All dragons in the dragon folder, clarified.

What's stopping you from declaring the whole planet as your hoard space?
Good point, limited it to simply ten times your space, no bigger or smaller.

The ability to spend enhancement bonuses for armor and weapon enchantments would also be useful, even if from a restricted list (flaming for red dragons etc.)

Like Anomander said, the feat seems pretty strong right now, so perhaps another feat demanding this as a prerequisite?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »
How does hoard space interact with size-changing effects?

What exactly do you mean by 10 times your space? For example, if you are an 8' tall medium-sized creature (5' square space), would that be a 50' square, ten 5'x5' squares, or ten 5'x5'x8' cubes?

By the way, you're missing a word in "ten times as your body space". Should be "ten times as large your body space" or something like that.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 03:24:33 PM »
Well, there's the other side where you have to take the measures to protect your hoard.  The enemies you're fighting now may not be a problem, but those goblins and low level adventurers are always in the look out for treasure piles everywhere.

Also it doesn't work for weapons, armor and consumables.

Doesn't sound like much of an issue considering the Tier 1-2 classes and most monsters don't really need armors or weapons and are best suited to make these hoards nigh impossible to steal.
Also seems kind of a drag to always keep track of.

The Dm has to come up with his own rule on how to deal with this. Whether its a %roll each day to determine how many attempts to raid the hoard is done that day and if they are successful, with some modifier dependent on its security system.
Since its a pain, most might just not bother with it until the player seems too strong for the campaign and they decide to just have their treasure looted as punishment.

Wait, you're really asking why dragons should get a bonus for keeping caves full of gold where they sleep now and then? :p
Yes. Nothing forces a PC dragon to do it.

The Hoard space, if shapeable, could be like a well. 5x5 ft. (or less) and very high. Easier to seal and bottle up all your riches.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:30:06 PM by Anomander »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 03:38:18 PM »
Somewhat strange that a side-feat ends up drawing more attention than the monster I made it for to begin with.

Garryl:Fixed. As for size-changing effects, as it does in all other situations. If you grow your hoard vault gets bigger, if you shrink your hoard vault gets smaller.

Doesn't sound like much of an issue considering the Tier 1-2 classes don't really need armors or weapons and are best suited to make these hoards nigh impossible to steal.
So it makes casters better against casters, and that's a problem how...? Noncasters don't care they can't disjoint/dispel their enemy's items because if they could do it, they would be kinda busy dispeling/disjointing the walls of non-item buffs the caster is assured to have anyway.

If a caster is in a situation when he could be disarmed/sundered, then it would probably be a better idea to just stick your sword down its throat, and it's one less feat they have for cheesy metamagics and item crafting.

Also seems kind of a drag to always keep track of.

The Dm has to come up with his own rule on how to deal with this. Whether its a %roll each day to determine how many attempts to raid the hoard is done that day and if they are successful, with some modifier dependent on its security system.
Since its a pain, most might just not bother with it until the player feels too strong and they decide to just have their treasure looted as punishment.
I would sugest to take a look at the Arms and Equipment guide section that talks about PCs keeping fortresses.

Yes. Nothing forces a PC dragon to do it.

The Hoard space, if shapeable, could be like a well. 5x5 ft. (or less) and very high. Easier to seal and bottle up all your riches.
You need to rest on top of your hoard 8 hours every week. Sealing it in a pit makes it kinda hard to fulfill that. It also means every week you have to return to it one way or another, making you more vulnerable to divination stalking and stuff.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:42:21 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 03:48:41 PM »
Somewhat strange that a side-feat ends up drawing more attention than the monster I made it for to begin with.

Garryl:Fixed. As for size-changing effects, as it does in all other situations. If you grow your hoard vault gets bigger, if you shrink your hoard vault gets smaller.

I'm not sure it does. On rereading it, the space is fixed once you rest for 8 hours and declare it. If you can change your size for that long, it looks like it would alter your horde space indefinitely, or at least until you redeclare your hoard space.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »
You need to rest on top of your hoard 8 hours every week. Sealing it in a pit makes it kinda hard to fulfill that.

Not if you are an earth elemental or something :lol

That said I don't think the requirement to rest on your hoard is entirely necessary, it makes enough sense for a dragon but for some other creatures (like a golem or something) it could just be used in a similar (but obviously superior) effect as Vow of Poverty. 

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »
Eh, just tie the hoard size to HD or age category.

get to keep their benefits while in an AMF
I don't see why it would do that, since the AMF isn't really targeting the items, just magic in general.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 11:27:17 AM »
Changed the hoard vault size to a 30x30 feet cube of empty space per HD, and clarified that AMF indeed stops you from gaining the benefits.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 08:28:06 AM »
Right, I see a lot of people wanting their monsters to start tiny/small and then aparently havee a bunch of growth spurts until they're large or bigger. I try to avoid that however as from a mechanics point of view it's counter-intuitive to start below medium if you want to become bigger than that, as one wants to be stealthy and the other wants a more brutish aproach.

However if it's made in the form of an option...

Precocious Fool[Flaw]
Monsters that rely on brute power usually spend their early life hiding and skulking, well aware that they they're still not prepared to face the world head on. However some individuals of those species decide to start adventuring when they've physically barely grown at all, more often than not trying to bite more than what they can chew.
Effect: You start the game one size category smaller than you  would normally be. However you counts as a your original size when such would not be benefical for it instead of small. So for example adragon with this flaw starts as a small creature but gains no size hiding bonus or to attack rolls and AC, while still taking a -4 in grapple checks and have the carrying capacity of a small creature.
Special:You may take this flaw multiple times, its effects stack. Every time you level up, you may choose to either lose this flaw (and the feat you had gained from it) or to swap it for another flaw you qualify for, representing your character growing up.

Precocious Genius[Trait]
Despite your body still being small, your mind and spirit are ready for adventure.
Pre-requisite: Must be a creature that would start as medium sized.
Effect: You start small sized.
Special: Every time you level up, you may choose to either lose this trait or to swap it for another trait you qualify for, representing your character growing up. This stacks with the Precocious Flaw.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: General Monster Feats, Flaws and Traits
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 06:22:48 PM »
Extra Option
Prerequisites:Levels on one of the following monster classes
(click to show/hide)
Effect:Choose a list of chooseable abilities of one of your monster classes from which you already picked one, such as Animal Apotheosis or Minor Gift of Chaos. You gain another of those options you qualify for.
Special:You may take this feat multiple times, each one picking a diferent option you qualify for. Paragons and their excellences don't qualify for this, she already has her own feats.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Re: General Monster Feats, Flaws and Traits
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 08:18:47 AM »
Taking a look at the pathfinder wiki, I notice they gave a bunch of new nifty abilities to their basic dragons in contrast to the 3.5 ones. However as I felt the current dragon classes are already filled in enough as they are, I didn't want to add them in directly.
Specific feats, ho!

Dragon Path

Pre-requisite: At least 6 levels  in a true dragon class.
Benefit: Depending on the dragon type you are, you gain one of the abilities on the below list, plus another for each 6 extra levels on that dragon class you have.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:21:43 PM by oslecamo »