Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread X: Turn Down for Bitchin'  (Read 159337 times)

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread X: Turn Down for Bitchin'
« Reply #480 on: July 19, 2015, 11:23:01 AM »
Point of interest; in D&D, by default, goblins and orcs, for two examples, are stupider and more depraved. If not policed, their generally evil and destructive mien would fray a society.
This kind of highlights why I hate the social engineering type of comments in the context of D&D-esque game worlds.  There's a bunch of things that make no sense from a "real" point of view.  And, that's fine.  It supports the game and the story.  But, that means we should leave the other stuff about "well, this would happen ..." out of it.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 19, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »
First, context Unbeliever; I had no reason to make that comment, and the other two that were part of that post, until the comments above it were posted. I. was. making. a. point.

I can call another poster a fucking moron. But I can rant politically only if it's an 'acceptable' position. TYVM. I love society.
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 19, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
First, context Unbeliever; I had no reason to make that comment, and the other two that were part of that post, until the comments above it were posted. I. was. making. a. point.

I can call another poster a fucking moron. But I can rant politically only if it's an 'acceptable' position. TYVM. I love society.
Or, you could calm the hell down.  I was using your comment as a jumping off point to a broader, more general statement.  This is a common thing to do in conversation and especially on threads, and especially when there have been a number of posts in between..  From Tippyverse to Frank & K to all sorts of various other, less famous ideas, the phenomenon I was referring to is a common one on D&D gaming boards.

I, at least, haven't said anything directed to you.  You'll notice every single word in my brief comments were stated in very general terms.  There was no "Chemus" in them, besides the quote that inspired them.  Indeed, you even started with "point of interest" indicating that you weren't necessarily committed to the statements you were talking about.  I included that in the quote. 

But, y'know, feel free to be pissed at me for whatever reason you've got in your head.  An alternative, if the mood takes you, is that you could read what I actually typed and then respond to that, rather than what you I guess think I did.  Not every post on a gaming forum is an SJW battleground. 

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 19, 2015, 01:24:34 PM »
On behalf of everyone here, I am doing thi against a wall so you don't have to.   :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

My neighbors complained the last time I did that, so instead, I'm going to murder some drug traffickers in the neighborhood.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 19, 2015, 01:26:49 PM »
On behalf of everyone here, I am doing thi against a wall so you don't have to.   :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

My neighbors complained the last time I did that, so instead, I'm going to murder some drug traffickers in the neighborhood.

A productive use of your anger!

(I'm just imagining some shadowy guy selling dime bags of cocaine to a little old lady. Then, you hear a shout from off-screen, and Kuroimaken, HERO OF JUSTICE, drop-kicks them out of nowhere.

He then leaps away, faster than a speeding truck.)
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 19, 2015, 02:17:27 PM »

A productive use of your anger!

(I'm just imagining some shadowy guy selling dime bags of cocaine to a little old lady. Then, you hear a shout from off-screen, and Kuroimaken, HERO OF JUSTICE, drop-kicks them out of nowhere.

He then leaps away, faster than a speeding truck.)

Oooo, that scene is DEFINITELY going into my autobiographic movie.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 19, 2015, 03:05:32 PM »
...I was using your comment as a jumping off point to a broader, more general statement...

Me too. I should have been clearer. And put an [ hr] tag in between my clarification and my own rant inspired by your comment, as it wasn't directed at you either.
My Homebrew

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 20, 2015, 10:41:17 AM »
...I was using your comment as a jumping off point to a broader, more general statement...

Me too. I should have been clearer. And put an [ hr] tag in between my clarification and my own rant inspired by your comment, as it wasn't directed at you either.
Ah, fair enough.  I stand corrected. 

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #488 on: July 20, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »
hangover damn
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #489 on: July 20, 2015, 06:03:10 PM »
The first thing conservatives do when liberals push for more gun control after a mass shooting is say that theyre exploiting a tradgedy for political gain.

Of course, when conservatives push for allowing soldiers to cerry guns where they were previously not allowed to, that's different.
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 20, 2015, 06:19:13 PM »
I feel like this a lot.
(click to show/hide)
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #491 on: July 20, 2015, 06:58:17 PM »
I get the feeling you've been hanging around Deviantart a lot, Amechra.  :P

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 20, 2015, 07:34:51 PM »
I get the feeling you've been hanging around Deviantart a lot, Amechra.  :P

I was using it as a metaphor for homebrew... but in general, it is my entire life.

No one listens to poor Amechra.

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 20, 2015, 07:48:02 PM »
I'm sorry, did you say something Amechra? :p
My Homebrew

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 20, 2015, 07:52:16 PM »
I'm sorry, did you say something Amechra? :p

I unsaid something.

What was unsaid now was never said. There was no pity party.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: July 21, 2015, 12:55:29 AM »
Something something something...

Boobs?

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 21, 2015, 02:23:38 AM »
Hugs!  :hug

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 21, 2015, 03:56:45 AM »
More seriously, I have to boil my water before drinking it for the next week. I'm waiting for a mug of water to cool down in the fridge.

Maybe the freezer?

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 21, 2015, 08:42:30 AM »
I need to make it stop raining.

Seriously, it's been two weeks.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #499 on: July 21, 2015, 02:55:32 PM »
Ex gf wants us to be back together, but not be serious. Only casual.

Thinking it's not a good thing for my pride to accept.

One one hand, i can keep sexing her up, and it's amazing. Since it's clearcut that it's going to be casual, this time, i'm not going to hold back at all. Instead of trying to signal my readiness for commitment, i'll keep milking the cow until it dries, but i'm not going to feed it basically anything. This, of course, means that i'll be seeing multiple other girls the same i was before i even kissed her the first time - and if she doesn't like it, well, too bad, see? I'm not really alone and this is not really something i'm going out of my way to keep, ciao!

On the other hand, she said to my face that i'm not good enough to commit for. For reasons that hurt my pride, and for things that i cannot change. People know we were serious, and people will know that she ended it, and that i accepted the deal. This is kind of pathetic. So, by that line of reasoning, the best possible thing i could do, is say, thanks, but no thanks.

HOWEVER, i can do something else entirely. I take the deal, go for one last ride, fuck her brains out, and just before i leave her at her door, i say to her "This was the last time, thanks for the good memories!", while i go on my merry way and go viking up in this bitch.

Thoughts?
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life