Author Topic: Chapter 2: Haxan  (Read 42900 times)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 2: Haxan
« Reply #620 on: February 22, 2024, 09:43:50 AM »
"How do we curb these... ambitions? If we want to keep there from being a full out war, both sides need to believe they can exist unmolested by the other.

I can understand keeping their existence a secret to keep an unrulily mob from forming, but it seems like this problem was just waiting to happen."

My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 22, 2024, 07:10:32 PM »
"After recent events, I think we're well past keeping it a secret."

"For once, James is correct.  We'll need to find a way to earn one another's trust.  Establish some rules."

"We could simply arm the populace and take them now that we know they're there."

"Impulsive as ever James.  You don't know how many of them there are, and you would have to confront them on their home turf in the tunnels below the city.  They'd eat you alive.  And they can convert your people if necessary to replenish losses. We might be forced to intervene to prevent both populations from being slaughtered."

"Only because you need to use them for your own ends."

"And you aren't doing the same?"

"Careful...I might get impulsive again."

the ghoul finally speaks

"This...seems...pointless.  We...make..peace now...or...everyone dies."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 23, 2024, 12:21:42 PM »
Elizabeth looks toward the ghoul as it speaks.

"While not wanting everyone to die, I do agree that any bluster is pointless. In an all out war, I imagine any victory would be pyrrhic for whomever wins, so... everyone loses.

I apologize for my invasion into your territory. At the time, I had no idea about the history of any alliances. I think without the establishment of any ground rules, we're looking at a spiraling war with terrible costs for everyone involved."

She looks to James: "I think our biggest task is going to be keeping the locals from gathering pitchforks and torches and hurriedly marching toward their own deaths."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 25, 2024, 06:23:32 PM »
"We...will agree...to move...to the...mountains.  If...tribute...is provided."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 26, 2024, 10:58:35 AM »
Elizabeth nervously looks toward James for a reaction, and back at the ghoul.

"...How much?"
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 26, 2024, 06:55:32 PM »
"The bodies...of your dead.  And anything...that wanders...into our...territory."

Cannons expression conveys a mixture of contempt, and 'could I sell this?'

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 27, 2024, 11:24:49 AM »
"It will certainly be unpalatable to the populous, even if it's by far the most logical choice to make...

...Perhaps we could soften the blow by allowing them to perform last rites ceremonies on the dead. I'm honestly not that well versed in the religious traditions most people."

She looks toward the ghoul: "Last rites wouldn't do anything to affect you from consuming the bodies, would it?"
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 27, 2024, 06:56:13 PM »
"Your...religion...is false.  It means...nothing....to us.  Murderer."

that last bit raises a few eyebrows

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 28, 2024, 10:04:35 AM »
Elizabeth doesn't let that last bit provoke her. She knows it's somewhat true. She looks to James:

"Do you think we can sell this? The problem is, in order to get everyone to see it as the best outcome, we probably need to let them know more than we may want to... Of course, they've probably found quite a bit out over the last couple days."

She looks toward the woman: "Is this palatable to you? I know you've had an agreement earlier..."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 28, 2024, 09:35:15 PM »
Their moving to the mountains doesn't alter our deal with them.  And distance from the city may be whats needed now."

"Can we sell it?  Of course.  Temporarily.  But the fact that there would be a separate and unknown species always lurking nearby would cause no end of trouble.  We would need to squash uprisings regularly."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: February 29, 2024, 12:45:08 PM »
Elizabeth nods to what James says, and then asks the woman:

"Are there any other creatures around with which you have an alliance that we should not be looking for? I'd hate to go through all of the trouble of forming a truce only to break it on accident."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 29, 2024, 08:11:00 PM »
"The gates opening has let many things through, not all of them known to us, or even visible.   Our partners people are in danger from some of them as well.  You and those assembled here know of some, we know of some also.  It would be beneficial if we exchanged information on threats."

"Your worship of The Black Mother makes you as much of a threat as anything else out there."

"You know well The Enemy lurks near our gates James.  And you know well you can't face it alone, no matter what you may have told those assembled here.  An alliance benefits us both, regardless of our personal opinions on the matter."

"It is...a  far worse...death...at it's hand...than ours..."

"I want someone as a go between.  Despite what you say, the two of us cannot regularly be seen together."

"Agreed.  How about her?  She is not one of us, and hasn't been here long enough to become entrenched in the local politics?'

James looks at you, as if to gauge your reaction.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 29, 2024, 08:20:03 PM »
Elizabeth was about to volunteer before either said anything, so she responds perhaps a bit too quickly.

"Agreed. I was a constable at my old town, but this city is large and I'm less well known."

She then thinks to Niemand's warning, hoping she's not crossing a dangerous threshold.

"...A lot of my job was to protect those in the town from such threats, and conceal what I could.

So, James, we are to explain to the townsfolk why they cannot bury their dead so that we can move past this, then I shall meet with you"
, she looks toward the woman "or another representative to discuss common threats? I'll be sure to confer with my colleagues about anything with which I'm currently unfamiliar. When would you next like to meet?"
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 01, 2024, 09:15:18 PM »
"Is two days hence at this location acceptable?"

"It'll do as much as any other time and place.  We'll hold off for a week  before telling them about the dead so we get everyone in government n the same page.  And it ill give our 'friend' time to prepare his people for the move.  Preferably under dead of night to avoid...issues."

"Agreed..."

any questions before they part ways?

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 02, 2024, 12:55:21 PM »
"Two days is fine by me."

If they leave shortly after, Elizabeth says to James, quietly: "That went significantly better than expected. I'd assumed they ghouls would want some sort of blood payment for their losses. When they mentioned 'payment', I was worried.

Still, I wouldn't assume this means this is all behind us, or that such a generous offer isn't a distraction from something... worse. We should stay vigilant over this next week, and beyond.

...I'm also worried about their suggestion to use me as a go-between. I've heard they've had their eyes on me for some time..."
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 03, 2024, 05:50:58 PM »
James motions silently to follow him, and  you are well away from the tavern before he is willing t speak.

"They're interested in you because they only recruit women who practice the Science.  As for the Ghouls...I trust them less than the Haxan.  We're posting guard until after they've left."

He looks askance at you for a moment.   "What encounters have you had with them?"

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 03, 2024, 06:50:24 PM »
"The haxan? Nothing before coming here, although it's possible I encountered agents of them. They haven't made any overtures directly."

OOC: If I'm forgetting anything, it's not Elizabeth's intention to lie.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 07, 2024, 07:21:03 PM »
"I didnt mean the Haxan.  He called you a murderer."

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 07, 2024, 08:54:14 PM »
"I'm assuming he said that because we instigated the attack. I have killed other creatures in the past before we came, but mostly troglodytes and spider creatures that wore human skins as disguises."

OOC: Again, I might be forgetting something.
My creations

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • Honorary Mod
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 08, 2024, 07:56:02 PM »
ooc you killed some ghouls on the way into town when they started to pick your people off