Author Topic: Chapter 3 - Forgive Us Our Debts  (Read 13188 times)

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
Chapter 3 - Forgive Us Our Debts
« on: June 07, 2020, 04:34:08 PM »

You spend a less than comfortable night at the chapel, and are woken up in the morning by knocks to the chapel door. Before you can prevent her from doing so, Fuyuko is already up and opening. The person knocking is a man, tall and very imposing, wearing the uniform of the Red Guard. Several metres behind him there are four more Red Guards, three of them of them also tall brutes, and a small, dark-skinned woman about the size of Mist who seems to be their leader. She wears a white court dress under her tabard, with expensive jewelry and white ribbons in her raven tresses. Her white leather bodice is ornately decorated, but also discretely reinforced with metal in the right spots.

She finishes the last gestures and words of casting a spell on herself before she stows a little pearl away and steps forward, giving hand gestures to the men behind her and the one at the door. The one at the door moves back to the others, taking position with them and watching you.

A few metres from the door, the little woman deliberately lays down her rapier and dagger and bows towards you with a warm smile.

"I am Inspector Lusica, of the Red Guard. You could describe my role in the Guard best as... a herald, or an ambassador. I'm not here to do anything to you - we are technically out of our jurisdiction, and I'd not only be a very very stupid hussy if wee me went up against such seasoned adventurers as you, but even more important to myself, I'd be a very very dead hussy. Not that my death would do you any good - there are people awaiting my return to report, who would be very very displeased if I went missing. I'd just like to come in and talk to you a bit, if you don't mind."

She takes on a sad look.

"Of course, you are not required to talk to me, but that might not bode well for Miss Zilla Gravesend, who I believe is a friend of yours. Having no other lead, we would be required to turn her over to the White Guard as an accomplice in the slaughter of several of their number, and not only would that be bad for her, but more important for us, there is nothing for us to gain from that. It would be more beneficial for both of us if you had something for me, and we could both benefit."

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 04:53:45 PM by Skyrock »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 3: Forgive Us Our Debts
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 05:37:31 PM »
Yuki stares at the inspector for a long second, eyes focusing on her chest, before opening the conversation with a rather off-kilter "Is that not a... problematic place to keep a dagger? Inaccessible and liable to stab yourself."

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 05:38:43 PM »
Niko's very large dog growls at the guards until Niko shushes her.

He is obviously very suspicious but doesn't make any threatening moves.

"I don't know what she's talking about but she's telling the truth," he whispers to whichever of his new companions is closest to him.

Things are so much easier when it's just him and Peri, none of this trying to figure out how to communicate what he knows to other people.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 05:47:56 PM »
Lusica laughs, putting her hand into her bodice and pulling her silver dagger from it, laying it down to the rest of her armaments.

"You are very perceptive one, lady from the far east. This is going to be good, much better than the clueless two-bit criminals I'm usually dealing with. Now, if you have no more objections, would you mind if I came in and talked to you for a bit?"

(click to show/hide)

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 06:29:35 PM »
Mist gestures for Lusica to come in. "I have heard that the White Guard have been rather...unwelcome guests within certain parts under the jurisdiction of your affiliates. I trust it would be convenient for your affiliates if there was some evidence of wrongdoing amongst their number, or evidence of say..." She mouths the word 'heresy' trusting the woman to be able to read her lips.
Hmm.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 06:42:25 PM »
Lusica gladly accepts Mist's invitation, and casually sits down in a pew. Her eyes light up at Mist's words. "That would indeed be a most delightful thing, something that may satisfy my superiors. Now, before we advance, after you have heard my name, would you and your companions tell me yours?"

It is up to you whether you are truthful with her or try to deceive her.
When the turn comes to Fuyuko, she is completely honest, being too naive to think different anyway.
Tanya Gravesend thinks quickly and makes a great gesture to introduce herself: "I am Lady Anya von Lindenfeld, a small place in the Iron Principalities... You wouldn't have heard of it."

(click to show/hide)

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 07:10:34 PM »
"You may call me Mist" she says simply. There was simply no need to tell further information beyond her current alias.
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 12:28:05 PM »
"Fujimura Yuki", she says, seeing no point in hiding her name when already fairly distinctive. No, if she didn't want to be found at some point she would have to resort to more basic means.

Switching back to her native tongue for a moment, she asks Fuyuko if there is anything she could use to serve their "guest" something to drink, and if possible to go do so. That should keep her too occupied to potentially say something problematic in the conversation.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 12:57:59 PM »
"Niko," says Niko. He has to assume that she is as good at detecting lies as he is so decides to stick with the minimum amount of information, at least for now

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 01:45:29 PM »
Nadja sees no use in even trying to lie.

Lusica watches her thoughtfully. "A noblewoman and a beggar girl in rags. Very curious company mixing here..."

Fuyuko bows to the command and heads to the door to fetch something to drink. The guards on the outside keep her back. "You will leave when the Inspector is satisfied. Besides, we are on duty."

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 08:20:49 AM »
With little enough for him to convey at the moment, Karlat simply inclines his head, choosing not even to speak to the Red Guard. There's no reason to give them information that they may hold against him at a later date, after all. He can deploy his talents when necessary, although for the moment he's choosing to keep them under wraps.

(click to show/hide)

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 12:29:46 PM »
Mist remains standing, not willing to diminish her small stature even further. She speaks in a low voice, taking advantage of the time Fuyuko was farther away from the group. "As a matter of fact, I was a witness to the event that you speak of. I was visiting Zilla and stayed out of the mess. After the skirmish, I was able to find an item on the body of a nun travelling with the White Guard that had been untouched. As a scholar of lore I identified it as a symbol of Menoch. When a small branch is rotten, the larger branch may share the same rot, if you understand my meaning."
Hmm.

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 03:27:30 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Hank closes his copy of the scriptures, breathes in deeply, and wipes a tear of gratitude from his left eye before looking up.  He takes a moment to assess the situation noting the Red Guards and subtly raising his eyebrows in appreciation for Lusica's choice of dress. "Why is it so curious my dear inspector? Our mission welcomes all in need of justice and mercy.  Rich and poor, fine and crude, weak and powerful. I have always understood that the Red Guard were renown for their commitment to the poor and oppressed, but perhaps that is why providence has gathered together now..."

Hank stands and looks up thoughtfully.

"Forgive me. My name is Hanchrevanu Kess Iljure III." He bows deeply, and then approaches Lusica with a half smile.   "I am an occasionally humble servant of the truth, and it is my deepest pleasure to make your acquaintance, Inspector Lusica. You certainly have nothing to fear from us.  If some seem reticent, no doubt it is related to the concern of corruption in the church and who exactly can be trusted. That being said I believe we have a lot to offer each other. What is it precisely that your superiors desire, and if I may be so bold what is it precisely that you desire, Inspector?" 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:04:16 PM by dman »

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 04:07:19 PM »
Lusica smiles warmly back at Hank. "What we - and wee me - desire is a happier outcome for everyone who counts than to turn over Miss Zilla Gravesend to the White Guard. It does nothing good for us, it does nothing good for you, and I doubt that Miss Gravesend would be too happy getting... interrogated by the White Guard either."

She looks most interested at Mist, not minding her towering over her - giving a small and unassuming impression seems to be the mode she likes operating on. "A symbol of a fiend? On the body of an associate of the White Guard? Most worrying, and I am certain something my mistress would like to further investigate. Did this nun have any involvement with that skirmish?"

Lusica clears her throat.

"It might interest you that the Red Guard desires any evidence from this skirmish, and is willing to pay 20% above the going rate of pawn brokers and other purveyors of used goods. No questions will be asked about how you came into their possession - in fact, I will value it as a show of good faith if you willingly exchange them. This includes this symbol you have spoken of, and any of the armaments that have gone missing from the crime scene."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 04:50:33 PM by Skyrock »

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 06:33:01 PM »
Hank listens as Lusica speaks.  In the pause he relays his thoughts to the team.

I know what I want - namely some freedom to continue our current mission and minister with church sanction.  I know there are many risky turns this could take, but perhaps we could operate as a deputized investigation team under the patronage of the Red Guard.  I fear we'll be embroiled in church politics one way or another, and if what Mist says is true it seems the White Guard has been compromised. Having allies in the church could prove very beneficial in any future altercations - not to mention lucrative. Besides money and autonomy what is it that each of you are interested in? I am certain we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.

The last phrase echoes in your mind as Hank focuses on Lusica and speaks it aloud.

"I am certain we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.  Is there anything special about the items in question?  Is your interest in the items only in investigating the White Guard?"

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 07:17:53 PM »
Lusica gives the sweetest smile she can return.

"We are always interested into what is going on in town in general, and in our part of it in particular, especially when there is heresy in one of our fellow companies involved. I can't tell you what that heretical 'holy' symbol would be worth before it has been evaluated by one of our expert examiners, but I could give you 20% above the going rate of a mundane holy symbol of precious metal now, and the remainder later when we find out that it has special properties going above those of a mundane specimen."

(click to show/hide)

Offline dman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 07:06:08 AM »
"We're happy to be of service to the cause of justice and mercy, miss Lusica. Perhaps we could operate as freelance investigators for church? Having a team of our caliber as partners would no doubt be beneficial to you, and having official church sanction to minister to the poor and investigate crimes and having a regular stipend with access to gear at wholesale prices would be beneficial to us. Naturally your generous patronage and respect for our autonomy would be met with our unique expertise and cheerful service.  What do you think?"

(click to show/hide)

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2020, 08:47:08 AM »
"If I may interject, Mr. Iljure, that will not be necessary. Although there is no harm at taking a job or two, our value to the Lady will primary be because we are unknowns that her....opposition has no knowledge of. If we stretch the relationship too far and we become known, then I am afraid that rather than an asset we would turn into a liability as our actions might affect her reputation. No, let us keep this purely on the level of transactions. Speaking of which, there are certain scrolls, particularly those of Identify that are difficult to purchase in the open market. We would seek to purchase a few." Mist says

As everyone is gathering the loot from the encounter and turning it over, Mist hands the heretical holy symbol directly over  to Lusica.
Hmm.

Offline Skyrock

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2020, 09:05:05 AM »
Lusica stalls for time to think about Hank's request:

"There is no need to call me 'Miss' Lusica - it's my first and only name. You can also just call me Lucy, all my friends do and I take no offense at that."

The guardswoman bites her lower lip and thinks a bit more.

"I think you would really be a boon to my mistress and company - but alas, I have no power to recruit. I do have a wee little account to reward informers, but that is scaled to satisy urchins and scullery maids, not experienced adventurers like you. I could recommend you to my superiors, however, and we will see what comes of it when you come later to pick up the rest of the payment for the Menoch relic. I will also see if I can procure those scrolls you have been asking about."

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

"Now, if you want to earn a reward in the meantime, here's something that might interest you. One girl has gone missing during or shortly after the skirmish you have witnessed - about as tall as Lady von Lindenfeld over her, with similar blonde hair with white highlights, but thinner, shorter and straight. She's a bit younger, about 16 or 17, and a lot more mousy, demure and meek, you know that novice nun type. Her name is Tanya. Do you know anything about her whereabouts? - The word isn't out yet, but the White Guard seems to be very interested into her for some reason, and will have criers out later in the day offering a reward of 100 gold pieces for reliable information on her whereabouts. We don't know yet why she is so valuable to them, but we are afraid that bad things will happen to her if they are all of a sudden so eager. The Red Guard is prepared to not only match it, but offer 25% more for a total of 125 gold pieces, or whatever the Whites will end up offering, and guarantee the girl the protection of our benign mistress Cardinalesse Artemisia."

Lusica looks around the room to see you reaction.

While Nadja scratches her chin and Tanya tries her best to give a marbly, unfazed poker face, Fuyuko has a confused expression on her face and is about to open her mouth and raise her arm towards Tanya..

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 09:09:44 AM by Skyrock »

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2020, 09:17:29 AM »
Mist sneezes loudly to draw all eyes to herself. "Sorry, allergies. You mentioned Tanya? The only Tanya I can think of is Zilla's daughter, but we haven't seen her lately. It would be a shame if the White Guard found her since I do have a good relationship with her mother, but I really can't go looking for her on your behalf until I know that your offer of protection is genuine. Please understand."

(click to show/hide)

Hmm.