Author Topic: extremely hypothetical OGL 1.1  (Read 617 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
extremely hypothetical OGL 1.1
« on: January 12, 2023, 04:10:46 AM »
We all know the sheer chaos the v1.1 as strewn across our community.  :shakefist  :fu

Say WORST never-gonna-happen disaster-scenario and litigated in their favor, WotC can retroactively claim everything from v1.0 and v1.0a irrevocably theirs per the v1.1 leak.

My question... no, revelation...

Wouldn't that mean ALL that 3pp would now be 1pp for the appropriate edition?

Ex. Sword and Sorcery -> regular 1pp 3.x
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Maelphaxerazz

• Respect: over 9000
    • View Profile
Re: extremely hypothetical OGL 1.1
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 06:34:15 AM »
It would still be a work published by a third party, and thus 3pp. The concept of intellectual property ownership and the concept of third party publishers are separate concepts.

Compare, for example, the Dragonlance books for 3rd edition by Sovereign Press. Hasbro (through Wizards of the Coast) own the Dragonlance IP, but licensed it to a third party (Sovereign Press), which published books using that IP. They don't suddenly merge with Hasbro just because they publish books using IP Hasbro owns.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 12:05:07 PM »
Dragonlance, Kalamar (2/3 of the books), Rokugan, Planescape, Dark Sun, etc. are considered 2pp. they are licensed by WotC, but a 3rd party company.

so i guess it'd be more like 2pp?
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Maelphaxerazz

• Respect: over 9000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 07:19:36 AM »
"2pp" only exists by tradition. Properly speaking, the first party is WotC, the second party is the customer buying the game, and everybody else are third parties. A "2nd party publication" would be a letter you write to WotC complaining about their lunatic practices.

We call Kalamar and etc. 2pp because they feel semi-official, so the gaming community calls them 2pp as something between 3pp and 1pp even though it makes no gramatical sense to do so.

People elevating WotC publications above officially liscensed publications above everyone else's publications is not any sort of official rule, just tradition. We made that tradition to create a shorthand for what is allowed in a particular game. i.e. so we can say "all WotC and all 2pp material allowed, and only these two 3pp books that I like allowed, stop asking". Since the reasoning for elevating WotC above other publishers is that WotC is thought to have better quality material, that reasoning would still apply, so all pp will remain the same pp as before.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 07:21:34 AM by Maelphaxerazz »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 01:07:03 PM »
1pp = 1st party products
2pp = 2nd party products
3pp = 3rd party products

customers aren't making products