Author Topic: Deathjack  (Read 9925 times)

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
Deathjack
« on: June 07, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »
DeathJack

The greasy smoke from it’s furnace bears the charnel smell of roasting flesh and bones crushed under the tremendous pressure of it’s hatred. Countless men, women, children, priests, warriors, elderly- even entire villages- have been snuffed out and used as coal for it’s insidious engine. But whatever drives the monstrosity keeps it in some endless quest to claim more souls for the baleful fire burning in it’s belly.
HD:d10
(click to show/hide)
Skills: 2+Int modifier, quadruple at first level. No class skills.
Proficiencies: The Deathjack is proficient in no weapons or armor.
Features: 
Body of Hatred: The Deathjack loses all other racial bonuses and becomes a construct, with all of its penalties and disadvantages, except for the extra HP:
(click to show/hide)

The Deathjack is a medium sized construct with base speed 30 feet. It has two Claw attacks dealing 1d6+Str mod damage each and a Gore attack dealing 1d4+1/2 Str mod damage. The Deathjack may attack with both claws and its horns in a full attack. It also gains +2 Str at the first level and an additional +1 Str every additional level.

Hellforged (Ex)
The Deathjack may never wear armor or wield weapons, however it may have its body enchanted as though it were a suit of armor and its claws enchanted as weapons. In addition it has a natural armor bonus equal to 5 + Str mod. Each time the Deathjack increases in size it gains +1 to its natural armor.

Destroyer (Su) The Deathjacks powerful claws are capable of sundering and tearing through most anything. Once per day it may declare a smite attack that grants a +4 bonus on its attack roll and a bonus on its damage roll equal to its hit die. It gains an additional use of this ability at levels 5, 10, 15 and 20

Unstoppable (ex): The Deathjack is no mere construct, it is powerful repository for necromantic energies and as such is harder to destroy than usual. While it does not gain the normal bonus hit points based on size as most constructs do it has a sort of vitality granted by its unholy state. While the Deathjack still has no Constitution score it is treated as though it had 14 Constitution for determining Hit points. This effective constitution score cannot be boosted by any means however it increases by 1 every odd level.

Death Touch (Su) The touch of the Deathjack is lethal indeed, Once per day it may channel its necromantic energies into a devastating power. Death touch is a supernatural ability that produces a death effect. You must succeed on a melee touch attack against a living creature (using the rules for touch spells). When you touch, roll 1d6 per hit die you possess. If the total at least equals the creature’s current hit points, it dies (no save). Deathjack gains an additional daily use of this ability at levels 8, 13 and 17

Necromagic (Sp)

The Deathjack gains the ability to use certain spell like abilities, the caster level for these abilities is equal to its class level. The save DC is 10+1/2 Class level + Str mod. You must still provide expensive material components to use these abilities. The Deathjack may use these abilities by spending a soul but no more than a number of times a day equal to its class level divided by the minimum required level of the ability rounding down. Thus a 10th level Deathjack could use Cause Fear and Inflict Light Wounds 5 times a day, Death Knell and Shatter 2 times a day and the rest of its abilities once a day.
Level 2 Cause Fear, Inflict Light Wounds
Level 4 Death Knell, Shatter
Level 6 Animate Dead, Contagion
Level 8 Death Ward, Inflict Critical Wounds
Level 10 Slay Living, Mass Inflict Light Wounds
Level 12 Create Undead, Harm
Level 14 Destruction, Disintegrate
Level 16 Create Greater Undead, Earthquake
Level 18 Wail of the Banshee, Implosion

Cull Souls (Su)

Whenever the Deathjack kills a living enemy it drains the fleeing soul from its victim. Souls last until the end of combat at which point one unused soul escapes per hour. The maximum number of souls the Deathjack can hold at once is equal to 1/3 its level in this class. Souls used to power abilities are destroyed forever. In addition the slain bodies rise again as mindless zombies after 2 days, the Deathjack has no control over these creatures and they will slowly wander towards civilisation to feast on the living.

Rendering (Su)
As a Swift action the Deathjack may spend a soul to regain some of its lost hit points, it gains fast healing equal to its class level for one round.

Rebuke Undead The Deathjack may attempt to rebuke undead 3+Str times a day, its effective cleric level for this ability is equal to its level in this class.

Skulls of Hate (Su)

The skulls of hate are powerful conduits of necromantic energy and as such they provide the Deathjack an additional soul at the beginning of each of its turns.

Size Increase (Ex): At level 5 the Deathjack increases in size to Large and again at level 15 to Huge. The damage of its natural attacks increases to 1d8 Claw and 1d6 Gore at level 5 and 2d6 Claw and 1d8 Gore at level 16.

Necrovent (Su)
The smokestacks on the back of the Deathjack billow out a potent mix of necrotic energy and the ashes of the damned. Once per day it may expel a cloud of this mixture to conceal itself and hinder its opponents. The effect is identical to the Incendiary Cloud spell except that it is powered by negative energy rather than fire and thus heals undead and does not harm constructs. The save DC is 10+1/2 Class Level + Str mod.The cloud lasts for 3 rounds. At levels 11, 15 and 19 the Deathjack gains an additional use per day of this ability. The Deathjack must spend a soul to use this ability.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At level 8 the Deathjack gains DR 5/Adamantine, This improves to DR 10/Adamantine at level 13 and DR 15/Adamantine at level 17.

Unholy Power (Ex) The Deathjacks power is so great that it can even slay those otherwise immune to its powers. All of its abilities may effect creatures immune to death effects, however these creatures gain +5 to their save to resist the effect.

Soul Furnace (Su)
The Deathjack may spend the souls it has collected to enhance its already mighty combat prowess. Each soul spent allows it to make an additional attack at its highest attack bonus with one of its weapons. In addition souls may be spent to increase the Deathjacks accuracy or damage. After declaring an attack but before rolling to see if it hits the Deathjack may spend a soul, if it does roll two d20 instead of 1 and take the best result. Souls may also be spent to boost damage, if a soul is spent before damage is rolled the total damage of the attack is multiplied by 1.5. Spending Souls is a Free action.

Unhallowed Immortality (Su)
So great is the necromantic power of the Deathjack that it can never truly be destroyed. If it is destroyed in any way after a week it begins to reform. While it is reforming it is completely unable to act in any way but regains 1/20th of its total hit points each day. On the 20th day it becomes active again.

Comments
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:01:29 AM by littha »

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
Re: Deathjack
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »
I like the feel of it so far, though I haven't finished looking. I noticed two things right away. It says it isn't proficient in any weapons, but I assume it is with it's natural ones? And also...did I read natural armour equal to 10+str correctly?
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:10:06 AM »
I like the feel of it so far, though I haven't finished looking. I noticed two things right away. It says it isn't proficient in any weapons, but I assume it is with it's natural ones? And also...did I read natural armour equal to 10+str correctly?

Yes and Yes. The natural armor is because It cant actually wear a set normally.

One thing I am rather worried about is it having a huge lack of Hit Points. I copied the Iron Golem for its block but with Con - and nothing from the constructs usual size modifier it may end up with the lowest hp in the party by a long margin. Hopefully Rendering helps that a bit.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:17:11 AM by littha »

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:12:56 AM »
That makes sense, I suppose. That will keep it on par with most melee classes in the later levels, but it will have a significant advantage starting out. Perhaps a bit more scaling in there could balance out a bit. Having a level one with basically 20 AC +Dex +Str is slightly insane, if you ask me.  :P

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:20:18 AM »
I might drop it to 5 or 8 but getting the scaling right is going to be a pain.
Assuming 20 Str and 14 Dex at level 1:

5+  = AC 22
8+  = AC 25
10+= AC 27

Level 11 30 Str 14 dex
5+  = AC 27
8+  = AC 30
10+= AC 32

Level 20 39 Str 14 Dex
5+  = AC 30
8+  = AC 33
10+= AC 35

Think I will probably go with +5 as none of those include magic items.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:32:53 AM by littha »

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
Righto, looks about right.

Offline TravelLog

• Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 04:27:46 PM »
Having souls disappear at the end of combat makes it very very hard to make use of abilities. At the start of combat, it's magic is more or less crippled until it can kill something. I suggest you give it a base number of uses per day, then say that it can use souls to charge and pay for additional uses beyond that, up to a certain limit.
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:07:34 PM »
Possibly for levels 1 to 3 but the Skulls of Hate should power your spellcasting at level 4 and later. I do need to add other things (swift or free action) to do with the souls though because the only way to spend more than that one soul a round is using Soul Furnace for extra attacks.

The other option is of course to convert a lot of the abilities into 1/day but buy extra uses with souls as you suggested. Death Touch could cost 2, Destroyer 1 etc. Will have to think about it and suggestions on how many souls an extra use of an ability is worth would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:09:56 PM by littha »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
This looks most definetely interesting.

Doesn't it grows?

Needs some extra HP somewhere.

Also it should be able to store some extra souls for larger periods of time, say 1 day.

A more detailed review when I'm not half-asleep.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 09:41:16 AM »
Ok, some sugestions since you seem be in need of ideas:
-It should be able to gain some of the DeathJack weaponry of the original game. Claws are fun and all, but so is death cannons and whatnot.
-Soul furnace should be expanded so you can spend souls to boost other stuff, like saves, movement speed and attack rolls.
-On the other hand, gotta watch out for the "bag of rats" problem, aka preventing the player from just carrying a bunch of mooks to sacrifice at the start of each battle. Sugest following Prime32's idea with the Barghest, whereas the bonus you gain from a soul depends of how much HD it has relatively to your own. So a soul of your level can recharge your best SLAs, while a weaker soul can only boost minor ones, and stronger souls may even give you a bonus on the DC.
-Speaking of which, Create (Greater) Undead isn't that useful if you don't have a way of retaining control of said undead. :p

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 10:06:47 PM »
Ok, some sugestions since you seem be in need of ideas:
-It should be able to gain some of the DeathJack weaponry of the original game. Claws are fun and all, but so is death cannons and whatnot.
Deathjack has 2 claw and 1 horn attack in the game, no option on anything else. There are other Helljacks that have different weapons but Deathjack is a character (there is only one). Plus the rest of the helljacks are literally bad imitations of it.

-Soul furnace should be expanded so you can spend souls to boost other stuff, like saves, movement speed and attack rolls.
Thematically It should boost attack and damage rolls, I just thought it might start getting too strong so I cut those. If you think it wouldnt affect the power curve too much I will re-add them. 

-On the other hand, gotta watch out for the "bag of rats" problem, aka preventing the player from just carrying a bunch of mooks to sacrifice at the start of each battle. Sugest following Prime32's idea with the Barghest, whereas the bonus you gain from a soul depends of how much HD it has relatively to your own. So a soul of your level can recharge your best SLAs, while a weaker soul can only boost minor ones, and stronger souls may even give you a bonus on the DC.
Possibly a good idea but keeping track of souls is already going to be a pain and splitting that by level is just going to make it worse. While you could murder a whole load of low level mooks turn one you could only get a max of 4 souls out of them anyway so I don't think it would be a huge issue considering the loss of your first rounds action.

-Speaking of which, Create (Greater) Undead isn't that useful if you don't have a way of retaining control of said undead. :p
The d20 Iron kingdoms books (which this is only partially based off, it was the nastiest CR 15 you could come across and rather unbalanced) had the skulls of hate act as two independent level 17 clerics (with their own actions) that could only cast from the Death and Destruction domains. The SLAs are all just the domain spells, along with death touch and destroyer being slightly buffed versions of the domain abilities.

I might give it something like rebuke undead though considering its undead generating potential.

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 11:07:57 AM »
Added: Unstoppable for extra HP, Rebuke Undead for control over the things you are creating and boosted attack and damage options for Soul Furnace. Also changed how souls dissipate out of combat (1/hour) and added the missing note on size increase (was on the table but missing in the text)

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:11:32 AM by littha »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 06:03:29 AM »
Looking pretty nice but still needs polishing.

-The DCs should be Str-based. Yes, your Str will be pretty high, but most of your effects are Fort saves, at as you level up everything and their mother starts to be immune to Death effects.
-Speaking of which, could probably use some immunity-piercing on there (with the usual +5 save if they would be immune). -Rendering could probably be made as a swift action. Spending a standard action just to regin HP equal to your HD isn't anywhere near worth it, and you don't have any other swift actions anyway.
-Some amusing typos on the abilities:necomagic, contagon and Soul Furnice. :p

And agreed on your other points.

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 08:52:17 AM »
Made all those fixes, was considering giving it some damage reduction somewhere but I am not sure if that would begin to creep into the too much area.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »
You could put some scaling DR at levels 13 and 17, because otherwise just one extra use of Death Touch isn't really that exciting.

Also I notice now you made the DCs 10+1/2 HD+Str, but you should put Str mod. It's kinda obvious, but just in the safe side before anyone starts asking if you add your full Str score.

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »
Dont think anyone would ever try that but I fixed it anyway plus added some DR. Went with /Adamantine as standard for constructs, might add a 5/Adamantine at a lower level (8 possibly?)

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 11:57:02 AM »
Hmm, the SLAs there are kinda minor so probably fair enough.

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 12:23:30 PM »
Added DR 5/Adamantine at level 8.
I should be done adding abilities now the table is beginning to look kinda cluttered.  :lol

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »
Necrobot powered by souls added to the index!

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »
Nevermind, it was in the text  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:43:32 PM by Rakoa »