Author Topic: Thunderhead  (Read 9006 times)

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
Thunderhead
« on: June 13, 2012, 10:13:42 PM »
Thunderhead

The Thunderhead is a marvel of innovation, arguably the most sophisticated warjack ever built. Storming into battle armed with electrically charged shock fists and a lightning coil, the Thunderhead lands blows that liquefy metal, roast flesh, and disrupt cortexes when they land, and its lightning coil releases focused electrical bolts of tremendous power with unerring accuracy.
HD:d10
(click to show/hide)
Skills: 2+Int modifier, quadruple at first level. No class skills.
Proficiencies: The Thunderhead is proficient in no weapons or armor.
Features: 
Body of Storms: The Thunderhead loses all other racial bonuses and becomes a construct, with all of its penalties and disadvantages, except for the extra HP:
(click to show/hide)

The Thunderhead is a medium sized construct with base speed 30 feet. It has two Slam attacks dealing 2d6+Str mod damage each. The Thunderhead may attack with both Slams in a full attack without penalty. The Thunderhead is immune to Electricity.

Thunderforged (Ex)
The Thunderhead may never wear armor or wield weapons, however it may have its body enchanted as though it were a suit of armor and its claws enchanted as weapons. In addition it has a natural armor bonus equal to 5 + Str mod. Each time the Thunderhead increases in size it gains +1 to its natural armor.

Unstoppable (ex): The Thunderhead is no mere construct, it is powerful repository for electromagnetic energies and as such is harder to destroy than usual. While it does not gain the normal bonus hit points based on size as most constructs do it has a sort of vitality granted by its unholy state. While the Thunderhead still has no Constitution score it is treated as though it had 14 Constitution for determining Hit points. This effective constitution score cannot be boosted by any means however it increases by 1 every odd HD.

Storm Generator (Su): The Thunderhead generates a number of charges of electrical energy equal to 1/4 its levels in this class at the beginning of each of its turns plus another 1/4 at the beginning of combat. In addition whenever the Thunderhead is struck by an attack that deals electrical damage it gains a charge. The Thunderhead may store a maximum number of charges equal to its levels in this class. At the end of combat the Thunderhead loses all of its charges.

Static Shield (Su)
As a Swift action the Thunderhead may spend a Charge to gain Temporary Hit points equal to its HD. These Hit points last for 10 rounds. In addition melee attackers take 1d6 points of electrical damage for each temporary hit point the Thunderhead has at the time of their attack. Only Temperary Hit points granted by this ability count towards the damage and must be tracked separately from other sources of Temporary Hit points.

Lightning Fists (Su) The Thunderhead's Fists crackle with electrical power, adding a great amount of force to its blows. For each point of charge on the Thunderhead its slam attacks deal an additional 1d6 electrical damage.

Electroblaster (Sp) By spending a charge the Thunderhead may cast Lightning bolt or Call Lightning as a spell like ability. Its caster level for this ability is equal to its HD and its save DC is 10+1/2 HD + Str mod. This ability improves at level 8 to allow Call Lightning Storm and level 10 to allow Chain Lightning.

Energy Pulse (Su) By channelling its electrical charge through the lightning coils upon its body the Thunderhead can produce a blast wave of electromagnetic force. When you use this ability you must choose a number of charges (no more than you currently have), remove those charges and then deal 1d6/Charge points of electrical damage to every creature within 5 feet/Charge.

Size Increase (Ex): At level 5 the Thunderhead increases in size to Large and again at level 15 to Huge.

Magnetic Polarity (Ex): Each time the Thunderhead successfully hits an opponent with an attack of ability that deals electrical damage its target gains a magnetic charge. For each magnetic charge its target has the Thunderhead gains a +1 to hit with its melee attacks and a +1 to the save DC of its other abilities. Magnetic charges last for 1 hour.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At level 8 the Thunderhead gains DR 5/Adamantine, This improves to DR 10/Adamantine at level 13 and DR 15/Adamantine at level 17.

Electrical Resonance (Ex) The unique electrostatic discharges of the Thunderhead are so powerful that even creatures that would normally shrug off a bolt of lightning may be grievously wounded by its electrical attacks.  All of its abilities ignore resistance to Electricity and deal half damage to creatures otherwise immune to Electricity(other than the Thunderhead itself)

Overboost Generator(Su)
The Thunderhead may spend the Charges it has collected to enhance its already mighty combat prowess. Each charge spent allows it to make an additional attack at its highest attack bonus with one of its weapons. In addition charges  may be spent to increase the Thunderhead's accuracy or damage. After declaring an attack but before rolling to see if it hits the Thunderhead may spend a Charge, if it does roll two d20 instead of 1 and take the best result. Charges may also be spent to boost damage, if a Charge is spent before damage is rolled the total damage of the attack is multiplied by 1.5. Spending Charges is a Free action.

Galvanaic Field (Su) While the Thunderhead is a powerful foe it is not all that difficult to see it coming due to the intense light produced by its coils. The Thunderhead constantly sheds light as a Daylight spell though slightly blue tinted and is treated as always being under the effects of Faerie Fire. The intense electromagnetic fields also have an effect on the surrounding weather generating constant cloud cover.

Rushing Winds (Su) The Thunderhead is treated as though there were a Cylindrical wind wall surrounding it at all times. The wall exists in the squares immediately adjacent to the Thunderhead and can not be shaped or extended. The save DC for this ability is 10 + 1/2 HD + Str mod

Stormbringer (Sp) The Thunderhead may spend a charge as a Standard action to emulate the effects of the Control Wind spell. at level 14 this ability allows it to use Control Weather instead. The save DC for this ability is 10 + 1/2 HD + Str mod

Gift of Nemo (Su) The gift of the Thunderhead's creator the famed General Adept Sebastian Nemo is the capability to absorb lightning using its coils and discharge it in an enormous bolt of energy. Whenever the Thunderhead is struck by Electrical damage that it did not generate itself the potency of its next use of its Electroblaster ability. This ability must be used during the Thunderhead's next action and has these effects dependent on the number of times this ability has been triggered: 1 time = Empowered, 2 times = Maximised, 3 times = Doublecast. The effects of these are cumulative. Doublecast allows the ability to be used twice as a single standard action.

Storm Bunker (Su) The thunderhead may extend its immunity to electricity to its allies within 30' as an immediate action costing 3 charges.

Disruption (Su) Whenever the Thunderhead strikes a construct with Electrical damage the construct must take a Fortitude save equal to the damage dealt or be stunned for 1 round. Regardless if the save is passed or failed this ability will only affect a particular target once per day.

Energizer (Su) Whenever the Thunderhead spends a round without spending any charges it gains a deflection bonus to its AC equal to the number of charges it has until it spends a charge. At level 18 this effect improves and lasts for one round after the Thunderhead spends a charge.

Shockwave (Su) Whenever the Thunderhead uses its energy pulse ability it may spend additional charges to violently throw its targets out of the blast radius. Medium creatures are thrown back 5ft per charge spent and take an additional 1d6 damage per charge spent if they collide with an object (The object also takes the same amount of bludgeoning damage from the impact.). For every size catagory larger than Medium the distance flung is halved and for every size category smaller than medium it is doubled.

Voltaic Annihilator (Su): The final and most powerful ability of the Thunderhead is the Voltaic Annihilator, an experimental electrical burster. To activate this ability the Thunderhead must spend at least 10 charges though additional charges increase the effects of this ability. When activated this ability deals 1d10 electrical damage per charge spent to everything within 1 mile. Creatures and objects hit by this damage must make a fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Str mod) to avoid being stunned for 1d4 rounds. The power of this ability is so great that it overloads the Thunderhead's charge generating systems for 1 minute per charge spent, preventing any new charge generation (though it keeps whatever charges it had left) and Slowing the Thunderhead. This ability can trigger Disruption.

Comments
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:00:55 PM by littha »

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderhead
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 06:57:38 AM »
Storm Generator (Su): The Thunderhead generates one charge of electrical energy per combat round, In addition whenever the Thunderhead is struck by an attack that deals electrical damage it gains a charge. The Thunderhead may store a maximum number of charges equal to its levels in this class. While out of combat the Thunderhead loses one charge per hour.

Perhaps specify whether this is at the beginning of your round or the end. Or by combat round, do you mean one full rotation of everybody getting their respective actions? Other than that, looks very nice for a WIP.
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 09:04:13 AM »
Combat round was supposed to specify that you only got them in combat. It should be a the start of your turn.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 07:02:10 AM »
Static Shield and lighting fist kinda scale their damage too fast. Making sure you start every battle fully charged isn't that hard, just carry a bag of rats and then RAT BATTLE by making full defense for as many rounds as needed until you recharge, repeat every hour or after each combat. Altough the last part isn't that much of a problem, +1d6 per level on both your slams and then 1d6 per level when the enemy tries to hit back will instantly fry most stuff out there instantly until HP inflation starts kicking in. The Static shield should probably offer a Reflex save to avoid the damage, lighting fist should spend charges to activate, or reduce the damage progression.

Then the rest seems just like "electric damage" over and over again except rushing winds and Stormbringer. It definetely needs some utility here and there. The death jack could inflict status effects and get some minions, the Stormbringer should get cinematic stuff like partially or fully paralyzing targets with its Aoos and stuff like send enemies flying with big shocks. Perhaps can coil itself with other sources of electricity damage a-la red alert tesla units.

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »
I feel that the bag of rats thing is the problem, not the scaling of damage. Ideally you should be at about a 1/4 of your max charge when entering combat so I might just drop the retention and give you that. The intention was to have some abilities that spent the charge and some that benefited from having a high charge to promote tactical thinking so I hesitate to add a cost to the fists. The hope is that they would spend enough charges on Energy Pulse and Overboost Generator that they wont charge up fast enough in a 2 or 3 round combat to deal too much damage.

As far as new abilities go, I have one called Disruption planned that stuns constructs when they are hit with electricity but I will definitely add some more. I like the Tesla coil idea and will have to work out how to do that.

The biggest problem with the thunderhead compared to the deathjack is the complete lack of fluff based abilities to go with it.

I am not sure the rat battle would be all that effective actually, you would end up with a lot of fried rats due to the static shield. Still it needs to be addressed.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 04:06:49 PM »
Well, static shield is optional, and with your high AC, you can just full defense and watch the rats miss attacks.

For extra inspiration, I guess I would advise some Iron Man comics and old RA games.

Let me know when you've updated the abilities.

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »
Updated:
1. Charges no longer sustain after battle, no more fighting rats for max power.
2. Begin fights at 1/4 charge to compensate.
3. Gift of Nemo: as per the Tesla coil idea. Probably never get used at power 3 unless your party is hitting you with spells specifically for this effect.
4. Shockwave: Inspired by explosive spell, not sure its worth the charges at the moment considering it will hit your party. Fine creatures will probably be blasted miles...

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 10:44:13 AM »
I like the new charge mechanics better.

Gift of Nemo bonuses shouldn't be stacking if you ask me. Free empower/maximize/doublecast already sounds pretty good already, and I can perfectly see a party member throwing some energy substituted aoos just to feed you.

What's the action for electroblaster and energy pulse again?

I would've said shockwave should allow a reflex save, but considering it's 18th level and your only ability there, heh, maybe it deserves to be no-save.

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »
The thing with Gift of Nemo is that unless your party entirely consists of electricity focused blasters you are unlikley to get even one charge let alone three. If it does consist of electricity blaster types then you are using 4 characters actions for two Empowered/Maximised chain lightnings or Lightning Storms.

Electroblaster is an action equal to whatever spell you are emulating as per the Sp ability rules. Energy Pulse is a Standard action as per the Su ability rules.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 02:51:52 PM »
Very well, still needs abilities for the two last levels (or you make it a 18 levels class :p).

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »
Two more abilities added, the capstone might be a bit much but then you have 20 levels in a noncaster class without pounce...

I am just wondering if any of the abilities need reordering now, Storm Bunker might need to be swapped with a lower level ability for example.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 03:09:06 PM »
At  glance, the ability that looks best for swaping would be Gift of Nemo if you ask me.

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 03:40:26 PM »
Probably best, though I am not sure Gift of Nemo is good enough for a level 19 ability

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 06:52:23 AM »
Dunno about that, but I'm pretty sure +5 DR isn't that hot for 13th and 17th level either (the deathjack at least got some extra uses of Death Touch at those levels).

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 11:09:30 PM »
Guess I drop Storm Bunker to level 13 then, that will leave me with level 19 empty and 17 bare... Completely out of ideas now though, there is only so much you can do with big lightning robot...

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »
One simple idea would be a small increase to the number of charges you start off combat at those levels I guess.

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 07:20:01 PM »
It is set at 1/4 level at the moment but now it is marked on the table. Moved Storm Bunker to 13.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 07:29:31 PM »
What I meant is something along the lines of : "at X level you now start combat with Y+1/4 level charges and still gain 1/4 charges per round, etc"

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »
Unstoppable reads: While the Thunderhead still has no Constitution score it is treated as though it had 14 Constitution for determining Hit points. This effective constitution score cannot be boosted by any means however it increases by 1 every odd level.

So how is this handled, exactly? Does the Thunderhead gain +1 to its effective con score for every odd HD, or just every odd-numbered level taken in the Thunderhead "class"?

This seems a bit clumsy compared to other construct classes, which simply give a +1 hp/HD boost at specific levels or HD. The way Unstoppable is written could work, but it's a little confusing to me as-written.

Offline littha

• Honorary Mod
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 04:57:15 PM »
Currently works based on Thunderhead levels (as it is not specified as HD) but I could change it.

It effectively works out at:
level Con
1   14
2   14
3   15
4   15
5   16
6   16
7   17
8   17
9   18
10 18
and so on ...

Shifting to per HD would probably work better I suppose.