Author Topic: JaronK's Tier list for classes.  (Read 264889 times)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: JaronK's Tier list for classes.
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2012, 04:17:02 PM »
This is a serious question: in a high CO, non TO game, isn't it agreed that a paladin should be routinely outperforming warblades and the like? Swift action spells + Standard time Wizard Casting + DMM shenanigans + good ACF's (e.g. MFK) are > manoeuvres as far as I know.

The tier list assumes decent/middling optimization, not high-end.  On the extreme high end of things a paladin can certainly perform to that level thanks to all the supplements.

For anyone reading that is curious what MFK is, it's Mystic Fire Knight from Champions of Valor.

Offline malonkey1

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
From Magic of Incarnum, I'd say Totemist is solid Tier 3, possibly Tier 2, due to their obscenely huge number of natural attacks, and numerous other potent Soulmeld abilities.

Incarnate is probably Tier 3-4, has some decent abilities and versatility, but it isn't overpowering.

Soulborn is Tier 5, possibly Tier 6 if you're being really mean. They have some of the versatility of Meldshapers, but their Soulmeld list isn't very good, and they're pretty much only half-meldshapers. Like Fighters, they can be excellent at their specialization, but not a huge amount of good elsewhere.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2013, 07:21:47 PM »
From Magic of Incarnum, I'd say Totemist is solid Tier 3, possibly Tier 2, due to their obscenely huge number of natural attacks, and numerous other potent Soulmeld abilities.

Incarnate is probably Tier 3-4, has some decent abilities and versatility, but it isn't overpowering.

Soulborn is Tier 5, possibly Tier 6 if you're being really mean. They have some of the versatility of Meldshapers, but their Soulmeld list isn't very good, and they're pretty much only half-meldshapers. Like Fighters, they can be excellent at their specialization, but not a huge amount of good elsewhere.
Totemists don't really have anything that breaks the game, which is necessary for Tier 2 by my understanding.  That puts them squarely in Tier 3, I'd think, which is where I most often see them slotted.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2013, 07:28:25 PM »
Keep in mind that if you think your class is Tier X, it's probably X-1.  Everybody optimizes their preferred class above what might be considered "standard."
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 06:58:55 AM »

Totemists don't really have anything that breaks the game, which is necessary for Tier 2 by my understanding.  That puts them squarely in Tier 3, I'd think, which is where I most often see them slotted.
A low-ish T3 actually, along with the ToB classes, while they have access to a variety of effects, they don't really do much more than hit people a lot of times with it. Higher T3 like the bard, dread necromancer or beguiler packs in a much wider variety of utility effects and alternate attack forms, whereas if something can deal with lots of natural weapons, it more or less is stumped.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline malonkey1

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2013, 10:30:09 AM »
A low-ish T3 actually, along with the ToB classes, while they have access to a variety of effects, they don't really do much more than hit people a lot of times with it. Higher T3 like the bard, dread necromancer or beguiler packs in a much wider variety of utility effects and alternate attack forms, whereas if something can deal with lots of natural weapons, it more or less is stumped.

You have a good point there. Totemist is low T3. Would that put Incarnate Tier 4 and Soulborn Tier 5?

Offline lans

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
I put incarnates at high tier 4, they can do a wide variety of things, but tend to only be able to do one at a time, or not very well.

Soulborns are a little under paladins for the most part. Both get smites, necrocarnum zombie<=mount,  melds=<spells.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2013, 01:55:31 PM »
I put incarnates at high tier 4, they can do a wide variety of things, but tend to only be able to do one at a time, or not very well.

Soulborns are a little under paladins for the most part. Both get smites, necrocarnum zombie<=mount,  melds=<spells.

Soulborns Don't get the splat support that paladins do though.  A Soulborn is a little worse than a core only paladin, but significantly worse than an "anything goes" one.  Maybe not enough to drop all the way to Tier 6, but I'd still put them mid Tier 5 at the highest. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2013, 12:20:07 AM »
Actually, looking at the Incarnate and Soulborn, they would either be a very low T3 or T5. They don't meet the narrow domain effectiveness requirements to be classified as T4.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,

Offline lans

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
Actually, looking at the Incarnate and Soulborn, they would either be a very low T3 or T5. They don't meet the narrow domain effectiveness requirements to be classified as T4.
I disagree

Tier 4: Capable of doing one thing quite well, but often useless when encounters require other areas of expertise, or capable of doing many things to a reasonable degree of competence without truly shining.

The incarnate can do a lot, just exceptionally well.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2013, 09:01:53 AM »
The question is if it meets the reasonable competence condition I suppose.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2013, 11:01:40 AM »
The question is if it meets the reasonable competence condition I suppose.
It's up there, yes. It doesn't do its various things well enough to be up in T3 with the Factotum, but I'd put it at a solid-ish Tier 4. Soulborn goes a bit lower than Paladin, I think, since Smite optimization should still apply but a lot of other goodies don't, so I'd put it at a mid-T5 or so. It certainly doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the Samurai.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
  • Chara did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
    • Kristof Imperator YouTube Channel
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2013, 08:57:43 PM »
What tier would be Bard with access to Wizard/Sorcerer spell list for his spells known? I'm thinking about homebrewing/houseruling a Wizard that's at most a strong tier 3. Bard is tier 3, but it's not versatile enough to replace the T1-2 arcane casters. I'm afraid that the additional spell lists will bring him to T2.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"
My YT channel - LoL gameplay

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2013, 09:07:24 PM »
So long as you keep 6th level spells as the highest, it'll probably remain T3.  Remember, T2 is mostly about power that just nukes the crap out of versatility, and 7th through 9th level spells are the primary culprits in that.  There might be some outliers though, especially if one goes digging through splats, so be wary of that just in case.

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »
Any suggestions for a divine T3 class? And please don't say divine Bard, I'd like the arcane and divine class to be more different from each other than just by their spell lists and magic type.
Magic is for weaklings.

Alucard: "*snif snif* Huh? Suddenly it reeks of hypocrisy in here. Oh, if it isn't the Catholic Church. And what's this? No little Timmy glued to your crotch. Progress!"

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2013, 09:44:19 PM »
What spell levels would you be alright with each class having?  If it's in the 5th or 6th range then using the bard's or duskblade's casting numbers (not necessarily spells of course) might work.  If you want 9's though you'll need to have a specialized list a la Dread Necro and Beguiler if you want it to stay T3.

And it might be better to split this off into a new thread now that it's not looking like it's about a curiosity of new spell access.

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2013, 10:01:26 PM »
Magic is for weaklings.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »
Shugenja is probably a tier 3 divine class. Full casting but off a very limited list and doesn't get any of the really problematic spells (planar binding/ally, genesis, gate, etc.)

Offline ImperatorK

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2013, 11:18:11 PM »
That's counter to my goals.
Magic is for weaklings.

Offline Weaveshear2012

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2013, 12:30:58 PM »
Now , let's get back to psionics. In which tier should Wilder be ?