Author Topic: Flamekin [3.5]  (Read 4749 times)

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
Flamekin [3.5]
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:55:58 PM »
Flamekin are elementals similar in size and shape to humans. Living in the mountains of Lorwyn, they are a passionate race of warriors and shamans who focus their inner flames into weapons in battle. Flamekin are sworn enemies of the elves, who use their treefolk servants to suppress the flamekin and confine them to their mountain homes.

Flamekin resemble humans made of smooth, living black stone with four-fingered hands and horned faces with graceful features; their inner fires blaze through their crowns, joints, and shoulders. Flamekin can control their flames, allowing them to wear textiles and safely interact with non-flamekin.

Flamekin
Medium Elemental (Fire, Earth)
+2 Con, -2 Cha

Unlike other Elementals Flamekin eat, sleep and breathe.
Unlike other Elementals Flamekin may be raised or resurected.
Unlike other Elementals Flamekin are not immune to critical hits or flanking.

Unnatural Form
Whenever a sneak attack or critical hit is scored on a flamekin, there is a 50% chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and the damage is rolled as normal

Burn (Ex)
Whenever a flamekin hits with a melee attack their target takes an additional 1d6 fire damage and must succeed on a reflex save or catch on fire. The flames burn for 1d4 rounds. The save DC is 10 + 1/2 the flamekin's HD + Con.
Creatures striking a flamekin with unarmed strikes or natural weapons take 1d6 fire damage and risk being set on fire just as if the Flamekin had hit them.
This ability applies to both the flamekin's armed and unarmed attacks.

Affinity for the Flame (Ex)
All spells and abilities that deal fire damage used by a flamekin (But not its burn ability) are treated as though they were empowered. In addition they receive +2 to their caster level or manifester level when using spells or powers with the fire subtype.

LA +1

Now, I would like some help making them slightly more unique. Also I am not entirely sure the 25% extra fortification and the Burn ability makes them worth LA+1 when compared to warforged. Thoughts on this would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:58:20 PM by littha »

Offline Aragorn

• Lurker
  • Ranger from the North
    • View Profile
Re: Flamekin [3.5]
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »
Since Warforged get access to body feats, and Flamekin don't I would say LA+1 is fine. The Damage isn't huge, and making it scale with HD might be nice.
Like PbP? Then www.myth-weavers.com is the place for you.

Offline radmelon

• Ashbless ftw!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 11:12:24 PM »
I loved Lorwyn/shadowmoor, andI think this is a great idea. I must add though, that I don't find the -2 Cha very fitting. If I were to make this, in fact, I believe I would have reversed the modifiers, working on the saying "The candle that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast." or somesuch.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 05:52:33 AM »
Possibly, I was having issues coming up with bonuses/penalties. I arrived at this conclusion through two points: They are made from rock mostly and quite a lot of races are afraid/wary of creatures that are on fire all the time.

The more I look at it though the more I want to drop that LA.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 10:36:08 AM »
So any thoughts on scaling the damage? It was mostly supposed to be a side line rather than their most powerful ability and being set on fire can do some serious damage to your equipment (low hardness/flammable items like robes or wands mostly)

Any complaints on leaving it as it is and dropping the LA? it still feels too weak when compared against warforged despite having double the fortification. They don't have anywhere near the number of immunities (Poison, Sleep, Paralysis and Stunning vs poison, sleep effects, paralysis disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition and energy drain)

Admittedly Stunned is a rather nice thing to be immune and not having to half your healing is also good but i still find it hard to justify all this against warforged (I know warforged were deliberately under LA'd for plot reasons but y'know)