Author Topic: Adorable Creature  (Read 8003 times)

Online bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Adorable Creature
« on: May 31, 2015, 07:53:51 PM »

ADORABLE CREATURE

"Purrrrrrr..."

Adorable Creatures are almost supernaturally cute versions of a normal member of their species.

BECOMING AN ADORABLE CREATURE

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
   Skills:  Perform (Cuteness) 3 ranks
   Special:  Fear and adorableness are incompatible.  You lose the features of this class on any round you use any Kind of Fear effect.  f you have Frightful Presence or some permanent sort of fear causing ability you also cannot take this class. 

Class Skills
 The Adorable Creature's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Perform (Cuteness)(Cha), and Sense Motive (Wis).
Skills Points at Each  Level : 4 + int

Hit Dice: d6

Code: [Select]
[b]   BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities[/b]
1. +0    +0     +2     +2    Goofery Antics
2. +1    +0     +3     +3    OMG IT'S SO FLUFFY!
3. +2    +1     +3     +3    Plz to Not Hit Fwuffy

Weapon Proficiencies: An Adorable Creature gains no new armor or weapon proficiencies.

Goofery Antics (Ex):  An Adorable creature with 3 or more ranks in Perform (Cuteness) can use their cute antics to cause one or more creaturess to become Fascinated with them. Each creature to be Fascinated must be within 90 feet, able to see and hear the Adorable creature, and able to pay attention to him. The Adorable one must also be able to see the creature. The distraction of a nearby combat or other dangers prevents the ability from working. For every three Hit Dice an Adorable creature attains beyond 1st, he can target one additional creature with a single use of this ability.

To use the ability, an Adorable creature makes a Perform (Cuteness) check. His check result is the DC for each affected creature’s Will save against the effect. If a creature’s saving throw succeeds, the Adorable beastie cannot attempt to Fascinate that creature again for 24 hours. If its saving throw fails, the creature sits quietly and watches you play, taking no other actions, for as long as the Adorable creature continues to play and concentrate (up to a maximum of 1 round per Hit Die). While Fascinated, a target takes a -4 penalty on skill checks made as reactions, such as Listen and Spot checks. Any potential threat requires the Adorable creature to make another Perform check and allows the Fascinated creature a new saving throw against a DC equal to the new Perform check result.

Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a ranged weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect. Fascinate is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting ability.

Optionally you may use this Ability to endear yourself to one or more creatures.  Once you have 12 ranks in Perform (Cuteness) you can make a Perform (Cuteness) Check, and your Check result is the Save DC for each affected creatures Will Save.  If a creature’s saving throw succeeds, the Adorable beastie cannot attempt to Fascinate that creature again for 24 hours. If its saving throw fails, the creature is affected as if by a Charm Monster spell (Caster Level equals your Hit Dice).  Unlike normal you do not need to know the targets language, you gain it's trust by sheer adorableness (and maybe some purring).  You can't really make demands of the Charmed creature other than food, shelter, and other pet type things, but affected creatures will not harm you.  This effect lasts 24 hours, and is an Enchantment (Charm) Mind-Affecting ability.

You may use your Goofery Antics once per day per Adorable Creature Level.

OMG IT'S SO FLUFFY! (Ex): Your cuteness is strong.  Effectively, you permanently have the benefits of a Sanctuary spell as an Extraordinary Ability (Caster Level is equal to it's HD).  Save DC is Cha Based.  Save DC increases by +2 when you're sleeping (cute critters are always cuter when they're sleeping).  If you attack someone you lose the benefits of this ability for the rest of the encounter.

Plz to Not Hit Fwuffy (): Due to other beings being subconsciously unwilling to harm you, you gain a Deflection Bonus to AC and a Circumstance Bonus to Saving Throws equal to your Charisma Modifier (minimum +1).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 12:44:30 AM by bhu »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Adorable Creature
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 10:52:21 AM »
Looks pretty nice, here's a couple critiques:
-Having DCs based off skill checks opposed by normal saves isn't a very good idea, because it's a lot easier to buff the skills than it is to buff saves. I would suggest either allow the other dude to roll a skill check of their own to oppose, or make the DC equal to 10+half ranks in perform (Cutenes)+charisma mod or something along those lines.
-Why limit it to living creatures? Couldn't a golem become cute? Ghost? Vampire?

Online bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 01:28:27 PM »
I thought I hadda give it some limitation, and most undead were pretty ugly.

The Cuteness stuff is based off Bardic Music.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 12:41:38 AM »
I thought I hadda give it some limitation, and most undead were pretty ugly.

The Cuteness stuff is based off Bardic Music.

There are loads of terribly cute undead out there!
They're just all animus  :P

Offline CDTalmas

• I'm not new any more!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 02:40:45 AM »
Someone doesn't remember Bunnicula from their childhood! Or Casper. Heck, I'm almost certain the Addams family would qualify as undead one way or another (Wednesday had a cute, if eerie, quality to her).

And finally... because it stands out like a sore thumb...

"What? Behind the rabbit?" "It IS the rabbit!"

Online bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 03:56:51 AM »
What would everyone suggest as a replacement if i remove the non living limitation?

Offline Chemus

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »
Perhaps:

Special: Cannot have suffered aging penalties to Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution. So, Old or Venerable creatures don't qualify unless they have some form of Timeless Body quality.
Apathy is ...ah screw it.
My Homebrew

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 04:41:22 PM »
I guess using a skill check for the DC is fine for something like fascinate, which is easily ended. But then the adorable creature can also use it for Charm Monster at character level 9 and that basically auto-wins every encounter as charm is a lot stronger than fascinate.

As for prerequisites, being young sounds like a good idea.

Online bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »
Lemme think on it, I'll come up with something.

Offline TraceChaos

• I've turned into a monster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 04:47:45 PM »
Minor nitpick, but for ""OMG IT'S SO FLUFFY" you call it an Exceptional ability, which doesn't exist. Figuring you meant Extraordinary Ability?
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Online bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 06:37:34 PM »
Yup.

Crap I forgot to put a number of times per day usage on the goofery antics too.  I'm gettin' old...

Online bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 09:35:19 PM »
Okay I've made some modifications.  Whaddya think?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 05:02:09 PM »
Pretty nice solution you came up with there, I like it quite a bit. No further crtiques, added to the index (and now I need to find some template that starts by Ac or Ab so I can put it in first position grumle grumble).

Online bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 06:11:49 PM »
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=12219.0

Th Guide to template based shenanigans conveniently lists available templates by source and alphabetical order :D

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 02:57:56 AM »
It's so quuuuute!
Mudada.