Author Topic: Dire Rat  (Read 11168 times)

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Dire Rat
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:51:48 AM »
DIRE RAT

"SKREEEEEEE!"

Y'all are one big ass fuckin' rat.

BECOMING A DIRE RAT

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
   Race:  Awakened Rat

Class Skills
 The Dire Rat's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Local)(Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str)
Skills Points at Each  Level : 8 + int

Hit Dice: d8

Code: [Select]
[b]   BAB  Fort    Ref    Will  Abilities[/b]
1. +0    +0     +0     +2    Dire Rat Body
2. +1    +0     +0     +3    Improved Rat Race
3. +2    +1     +1     +3    Inspire Heebie Jeebies
4. +3    +1     +1     +4    Direr Rat Body
5. +3    +1     +1     +4    Greater Rat Race
6. +4    +2     +2     +5    Inspire Heebie Jeebies
7. +5    +2     +2     +5    Direst Rat Body
8. +6    +2     +2     +6    Superior Rat Race
9. +6    +3     +3     +6    Inspire Heebie Jeebies
10.+7    +3     +3     +7   Rat King

Weapon Proficiencies: Dire Rats gain no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Dire Rat Body: At 1st Level you increase to Size Category Small.  Land speed increases to 30 ft., with Climb and Swim speeds being half that of land speed.  You gain +2 Str. 

Improved Rat Race: The abilities you gained from your rat race continue to improve, and you may choose 1 from the following list (must have the appropriate rat race as a prerequisite):

Companion You gain the benefits of the Improved Feint Feat whether you meet the prerequisites or not.  If you successfully Feint in combat, one Ally who is adjacent to the same foe ignores  his Dexterity Bonus to AC as well. 

Plague Carrier You no longer need to use a Swift Action each turn to maintain your disease bite, but are still only allowed 1 disease at a time.

Flexible Body You may now use your Dexterity Modifier in place of your Strength Modifier for Trip or Grapple Checks.

Reaving Rodent You can make one additional bite attack per round, but the second attack is -2 to hit.  You may do this as part of a normal or Full Attack.

Running Rat The Rat doubles their Dex Bonus to AC when using the Withdraw or Run action or when under a Fear effect.

Tough Metabolism The Rat can resist magical and unusual attacks with great fortitude. If he makes a successful Fortitude save against an attack that normally would have a lesser effect on a successful save (such as any spell with a saving throw entry of Fortitude partial), he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping Rat does not gain the benefit of this ability.

Versatile Paws You gain a +2 Competence Bonus on Disable Device, Open Lock, and Sleight of Hand Checks.

Inspire Heebie Jeebies (Ex): At third Level, when you pursue a certain action, an opponent must make a Willpower Save (DC is 10 plus 1/2 HD plus Cha Modifier) or be Shaken for 2d6 rounds.  If the Save is successful the opponent is immune to your Heebie Jeebies for 24 hours. The action required depends on your rat race:

Companion As a Companion Rat you must Feint in combat, successful or not.

Plague Carrier As a Plague Carrier, you must make a Bite attack, successful or not.

Flexible Body As a Flexible Rat you must make a Trip or Grapple Check.

Reaving Rodent As a Reaving Rodent, you must make a Bite attack, successful or not.

Tough Metabolism As a Tough Rat you must succeed on a Fort Save.

Versatile Paws As a Versatile Rat, you must make a weapon attack, successful or not.

At 6th Level, if you have chosen a second Rat Race via the Rat Reputation Feat, you may choose to pick a second way you can use this ability.  In other words if you had Reaving Rodent and Tough Metabolism you could inspire fear via Bite attacks or Fortitude Saves.  If not, then when you meet the prerequisites for causing a Willpower Save against your Heebie Jeebies, all opponents within 30 ft. must make a Save, not just one. 

At 9th Level if you have a 3rd Rat Race, you may choose a third option for causing Fear.  If you don't have a third race you may cause an area of effect fear as per the Level 6 ability.  Optionally you may choose to make opponents who fail their Willpower Save Frightened for 1d6 rounds instead of Shaken.

Direr Rat Body: At 4th Level you increase to Size Category Medium.  Land speed increases to 40 ft., with Climb and Swim speeds being half that of land speed.  You gain +2 Con.

Greater Rat Race: The abilities you gained from your Improved rat race continue to improve, and you may choose 1 from the following list (must have the appropriate rat race as a prerequisite), or from the previous list:

Companion When riding an Ally and using them as Cover, you ma emerge from cover, bite an adjacent foe in melee, and retreat back into Cover as a Full Attack Action.

Plague Carrier You may now carry a number of diseases equal to your (Con Modifier +1).  You may switch between them once per round as a Swift Action. 

Flexible Body You no longer lose your Dexterity Bonus to AC while Grappling.

Reaving Rodent You can make two additional bite attacks per round, but the second attack is -2 to hit, and the third is at -4.  You may do this as part of a normal or Full Attack.

Running Rat The Rat doubles their Dex Bonus to Initiative Checks when below half hit points or when under a Fear effect.

Tough Metabolism You may now use your Level 2 ability even when sleeping or unconscious.

Versatile Paws You may always Take 10 on Disable Device, Open Lock, and Sleight of Hand Checks, even if circumstances would normally prevent you from doing so.

Direst Rat Body: At 4th Level you increase to Size Category Large.  Land speed increases to 50 ft., with Climb and Swim speeds being half that of land speed.  You gain +1 Str and Con.

Superior Rat Race: The abilities you gained from your Greater rat race continue to improve, and you may choose 1 from the following list (must have the appropriate rat race as a prerequisite), or from the previous lists:

Companion When an opponent attacks an Ally who shares your space (or is adjacent to both of you), you get a free Attack of Opportunity against that Opponent.

Plague Carrier All diseases you carry can now infect opponents with a mere contact as opposed to an injury, and a simple melee touch attack is sufficient to make them Save vs infection.  In addition, once per round as a Swift Action you may emanate disease in a cloud as it oozes from your pores, and opponents who are adjacent to you must save or contract the disease as long as they remain adjacent.

Flexible Body You now continue to threaten adjacent squares while Grappling.

Reaving Rodent You gain a Bonus to attack and damage rolls with your bite attacks equal to your Con Modifier.

Running Rat The Rat can move and take a Full Attack Action when below half hit points or when under a Fear effect.

Tough Metabolism You can successfully negate the damage from any attack once per round as an Immediate Action by making a successful Fortitude Save (Save DC is equal to damage taken).  You do not get the benefits of this ability if you are unconscious or sleeping.

Versatile Paws You may use a Sleight of Hand Check instead of Bluff when Feinting in combat.  You may also Feint as a Swift Action.

Rat King: You gain Leadership as a Bonus Feat, with a +4 Bonus to your Leadership Score, but all your Cohorts and followers must be Awakened Rats.  All Awakened Rat Allies within 30 ft. of you gain a +2 Morale Bonus on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 12:48:12 AM by bhu »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: Rat/Dire Rat
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »
Am I right to assume this is just a placeholder? Seems severly lacking.

It has 7 class skills and 8+Int skill points per level :psyduck

No size, no ability score modifiers, no movement speeds, no bite natural attack (mentioned in the disease, but no damage listed).

Also I'm kinda against standardization. Rat should have different rules from Dire Rat, or at least the Dire Rat should be a progression of the Rat (like the Boar and Dire Boar).

Offline Krika

• Lurker
  • [witty message]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 06:39:52 PM »
Yeah, I'd personally use your Rat race and make a 1-level Dire Rat class in a Racial Paragon class-style dealio.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 02:26:20 AM »
Am I right to assume this is just a placeholder? Seems severly lacking.

It was indeed.  Since you just did rats though I may switch it to something else.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 02:17:47 AM »
So what should I switch this to?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 02:47:49 PM »
Dire rat class for the rat race? Bigger, meanier, faster?

Offline Krika

• Lurker
  • [witty message]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 07:44:05 PM »
Dire rat class for the rat race? Bigger, meanier, faster?

That'd be my suggestion. Maybe something with upgrading/getting more use out of their Rat Race feature aside from the obvious size/mechanical improvements.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 03:11:34 AM »
Dire Rat it is then.  Gimme a few days to think on it.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Dire Rat
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 02:57:25 AM »
Is 1 Level okay or would you guys prefer more?

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 06:51:27 AM »
Well, as nothing is actually apparently gained between Rat & Dire Rat, at least if you are just comparing the normal monsters, time for some inspiration!

On the SRD, Dire Rat and Fiendish Rat share the same page; and a sidenote on how Fiendish Dire Rats are the most common 1st level summon ever! (Well, probably just by NPC standards. Yanno, the ones you never encounter.)

How about a divided level progression beginning from 2nd where the Dire Rat gets to awaken some heavenly or hellish goodies?

1st level is vanilla Dire Rat, 2nd level you get to pick from one of two exclusive paths of progression?
I guess it'd kinda be like if Aasimar & Tiefling branched off of 1 level of Human.

Maybe Book of Exalted Deeds stuff for Celestial Dire Rats? Ooooh, lets give Celestial Dire Rats Ravages! Er, scaling DCs so they don't suck? -_-'
Maybe Book of Vile Darkness then for Fiendish Rats! I don't know what sits opposite of Ravages but it probably has some vile poisons or diseases or something! I remember drugs! Bite people with drugs and get 'em addicted to whatever!

I dunno. I'm just having fun.  :plotting
Edit: Because we need more Pokemon references like the Vivisector has!  :lmao
Edit2: Oh gosh can we use a picture of Raticate for this class?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:53:22 AM by ketaro »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 07:25:16 AM »
... There's already a Fiendish class. Let's not go that way please.

Raticate:the class sounds like a pretty good idea though.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 03:07:56 PM »
Just late night ramblings. -_-'

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 02:43:13 AM »
I had intended

Level 1: Dire Rat
Level 2: Expand on rat races from os' class
Level 3: ?

Possible extension to Rat King at Level 10?

Offline TraceChaos

• I've turned into a monster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 02:47:42 PM »
Possible extension to Rat King at Level 10?
Personally, I like the idea of you rolling a few other rats into it. Like cranium rats, the hivemiond rats that can gain some spellcasting in big enough swarms, and such. But that's just me.

I wholly support the idea of a ten-level Rat King class, though.
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 03:11:48 PM »
Trying to force multiple different monster in the same class isn't really the scope of this project, in particular when they aren't even the same creature types and have completely different abilities. A rat should be a rat, not a magical spellcasting swarm, that's a job for another class.

10 level Rat King sounds like a great plan.

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 03:26:02 PM »
Trying to force multiple different monster in the same class isn't really the scope of this project, in particular when they aren't even the same creature types and have completely different abilities. A rat should be a rat, not a magical spellcasting swarm, that's a job for another class.

10 level Rat King sounds like a great plan.

To be fair, that is what I did with the Bear, but the differences between all those bears were so slight that multiple classes would have been beyond pointless. Turning a rat into a spellslinging swarm is a pretty big fundamental change.

And a 10 level Rat King class sounds beyond amazing. BEYOND amazing! I hope to be able to play as Baron von Ratsworth in my next game.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:52:22 PM by Rakoa »
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 09:56:49 PM »
Okay from the ability titles you should be able to guess where im going.

Any quibbles with the skill selection/points?

Offline TraceChaos

• I've turned into a monster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 02:24:28 PM »
Skill points look good. Why only 1/2 BaB and only one good save though? I figure with one good save, you could maybe do 3/4 BaB, like a rogue.

Skill selection looks good though, but to a degree adds to my "Why 1/2 BaB" question 'cause it feels sorta rogueish to me?
One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Offline Rakoa

• No Problem
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 08:29:57 PM »
Skill points look good. Why only 1/2 BaB and only one good save though? I figure with one good save, you could maybe do 3/4 BaB, like a rogue.

Skill selection looks good though, but to a degree adds to my "Why 1/2 BaB" question 'cause it feels sorta rogueish to me?

The Rat King is getting his bonus in a better saving throw (Will instead of Reflex), and I imagine that the class features obtained through this class will be far superior to anything the Rogue has to offer.

Alternatively, Rogue is a pretty terrible class, so matching it on the chassis with better abilities is probably a good idea. I'd support 3/4 BAB.
The Paladin Code: Detect Evil, Smite it, ask questions later.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 02:43:06 AM »
Actually i just forgot to edit the saves/bab  :blush